Signature line rule -- Things are changing!

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Signature line rule -- Things are changing!

Post by Jumping Frog »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Correct, 80 characters per line, not 80 characters total.
Is that 80 visible characters, or 80 total characters? (My signature currently includes a link. The [URL=htpp://stuff . . . .] portion is hidden from view, but still exists.)
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

RX8er
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RX8er »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Correct, 80 characters per line, not 80 characters total.
Is that 80 visible characters, or 80 total characters? (My signature currently includes a link. The [URL=htpp://stuff . . . .] portion is hidden from view, but still exists.)
My assumption is that it is what is visible to users. I say this because the hyperlinks code do not show in the signature block or cause extra length. When I checked mine, I counted what is displayed to users and not what is actually typed out. that's my thought anyways.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

I made mine 2 lines less than 80 characters in total. Love this forum trying to save space. :iagree:
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Yours is fine.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

txkn33

Post by txkn33 »

So sorry didn't know this rule I have removed my signature line all together. Thanks for the heads up.

couzin

Post by couzin »

If they used Blackberry - they wouldn't have that problem... :reddevil
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

jmra

Post by jmra »

couzin wrote:If they used Blackberry - they wouldn't have that problem... :reddevil
Are they still in business? Who knew?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Shoot_First

Post by Shoot_First »

I deleted my signature just to be safe, but if the issue is those members using mobile devices then it seems the repetitive use of the quotes feature would be more of an irritant that a signature . It irks me to look at posts where every reply quotes the previous post. Since I don't have a mobile device other than a dumb cell phone this may or may not be a problem.

angretired

Post by angretired »

In my case, I haven't been active for a bit so I was totally unaware of the issue. An email to my address would probably have caught my attention to the matter.

In fact, it brings to mind a problem I had getting logged back on. I lost/forgot my Login ID. There is NO WAY to find out your Login ID. There is NO way to contact anyone on the site unless you "Login". One suggestion, please provide a way for users to recover their Login ID. I couldn't even create a new LoginID because my email address was already "in use". I was able to find my Login ID by doing searches and actually stumbled across my login among some of my postings.

Thanks.
NRA Member
CHL - 27 Jan 2010.
Master Sergeant, USAF (RET)

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Why people feel moved to tell us their personal motto, home grown, Hallmark or filched philosophy, gun inventory, photo of their pets/grandchildren/moon phase or well, any of that stuff is beyond me.

Grumble, grumble, yes, tetchy, cranky, curmudgeon I am.

Wait a minute, I just bought a brand spanking new fangled washing machine, (no agitator) that I'm MIGHTY proud of.

I just may post a photo of it and how clean it gets my laundry with almost no laundry soap required...maybe I'll list some of the different soap I use too...

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

There is an option to turn off signatures in User Control Panel. That's if you don't really see any value in viewing signatures at all.
I think it's a good 'new' rule over all because now, I can turn it back on and see some reasonably sized sigs.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

O6nop,

Thanks, I didn't know that.

I'll put that information to good use, pronto!

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:To deal with these issues, we will begin active enforcement of the 4-line limit. Due to differences in screen resolution, we are also limiting lines to 80 characters and blank lines will be counted. As previously mentioned, it takes a fair amount of time and effort for us to access a Member's profile and delete everything over 4 lines. If we are forced to do this, we are just going to delete the entire signature line.
:hurry:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

I didn't know about the 80 character line length until today.

Mine should be fine now.

:coolgleamA:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”