Troubling times and a decline in civility

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

RiverCity.45
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Troubling times and a decline in civility

Post by RiverCity.45 »

Man, if we could reduce the vitriolic name-calling and insulting of people whose ideas differ from ours, that would be my wish! Respectful differences of opinion are how I judge "civility." :patriot:
9/21/09 - Received license
"Nothing is so dangerous as an idea when it is the only one you have." - Emile Chartier

Tic Tac

Post by Tic Tac »

Does that include making fun of people who have a CHL badge or are they still fair game?

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

Tic Tac wrote:Does that include making fun of people who have a CHL badge or are they still fair game?
No. You have to politely suggest that they wear the tiara and move on.

pcgizzmo

Post by pcgizzmo »

Chas/Moderators,

I'm just curios and my question is in no way intended to cause problems. I don't want to cause issues but why not have a room on the forum where people can discuss politics or whatever they want but have them "agree" that if they enter that room it stays in that room and they won't get angry or bring the discussion in that room to the other rooms in the forum? I am a member or other forums. A photography forum for example that has a room like this.

Is the reason here just because you don't want the liability of something bad happening in a discussion room or the devise that disagreement can cause on such touchy subjects as politics and religion?

Part of being a member or a forum such as this is that I have a common interest with people here. I like to discuss things with people that I have a common interest with including politics and sometimes it would nice to talk to people I have this common interest with like a group of friends getting together and discussing things. I have no problem with disagreement. If we were all the same the world would be a boring place.

Anyway, I'm just curious why the absolutes on discussion that might be controversial but otherwise mature adults could have if they were sitting down for coffee amongst one another?

Again, I know I'm in your house and this seemed like a good thread to ask the question since you brought it up. I was just curious about the rules and why they are they way they are. Thanks...

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

pcgizzmo wrote:Chas/Moderators,

I'm just curios and my question is in no way intended to cause problems. I don't want to cause issues but why not have a room on the forum where people can discuss politics or whatever they want but have them "agree" that if they enter that room it stays in that room and they won't get angry or bring the discussion in that room to the other rooms in the forum? I am a member or other forums. A photography forum for example that has a room like this.

Is the reason here just because you don't want the liability of something bad happening in a discussion room or the devise that disagreement can cause on such touchy subjects as politics and religion?

Part of being a member or a forum such as this is that I have a common interest with people here. I like to discuss things with people that I have a common interest with including politics and sometimes it would nice to talk to people I have this common interest with like a group of friends getting together and discussing things. I have no problem with disagreement. If we were all the same the world would be a boring place.

Anyway, I'm just curious why the absolutes on discussion that might be controversial but otherwise mature adults could have if they were sitting down for coffee amongst one another?

Again, I know I'm in your house and this seemed like a good thread to ask the question since you brought it up. I was just curious about the rules and why they are they way they are. Thanks...
This has been tried and it failed. In spite of numerous warnings, requests and even temporary bans, the number and severity of rule violations were on the increase. T

It's not "my house," it's our house and those of us who are the caretakers will not allow the forum that generates such contention continue unabated.

Chas.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

*sigh*

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Like my daddy always said, "don't expect to please anyone and you will reduce your frustrations considerably"

Agree or disagree, I appreciate all the time and effort spent by the mods on this forum to keep it a productive place of discussion.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

mpat2009

Post by mpat2009 »

Hello,
The goal of a forum like this is primarily education and responsibility. Any and all forums (period. including the internet) are a very tangible form of democracy (and thank God we are protected by the foresight of our founding fathers for the 1st amendment). As such, every member of any democracy must decide to act as savages and destroy what all of those before them worked and sacrificed for, or act as civilized people to preserve and build what we created. Without a basic understanding that you you must treat others as you would like yourself to be treated (That's in the Bible, and what your Momma told you for those who are not religious) there is no society, much less a constitutional democracy in these United States of America. In this current political climate where our constitutional rights are being attacked daily, I think it is important to spend time and energy on education, reconciliation, or organization to protect and uphold our constitutional rights and the current laws of Texas. In the event that there is a disagreement on any of the current laws, then a good way to start is Step 1. To discuss and agree as a group upon a change in the current laws. Step 2. Initiate a plan for achieving the goal as a group of democratic citizens.

I personally believe argument should not only be heard, acknowledged, and considered but sometimes it is necessary to be encouraged. In the position that we are in now as a nation; I am personally horrified by the assaults upon the first, second, and fourth amendment of the United States constitution that every US citizen has ever bled, fought, and died for in defense of their nation. My thoughts aside, this is a community and while there will always be disagreements please remember that we are a family with a goal of protecting our families and each other as one Nation under God, Indivisible with Liberty and Justice for all.

My personal Thank you to Charles Cotton and everyone who has made this site possible by their moderation and membership. I cannot tell you how important this site is to the education of CHL holders in TX.

Thank you,
Mike
NRA Member

Moby

Post by Moby »

Agreed sir.
I hope I'm not in the group of overly stressed folks.
Your points are well thought out and well put.

For my posts, I'll reread a couple times to ensure I'm on track.
Thanks for keeping the forum adult like.

:tiphat:
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”