Troubling times and a decline in civility

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Troubling times and a decline in civility

Post by baldeagle »

Charles, I hope we are successful. I will struggle to do my part. As you say, we live in troubling times, and the stress is obviously getting to all of us.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

goose

Post by goose »

I will also take the pledge. I love the forum and hope that we can all keep it calm and clean. To the point of your message, I hope/pledge to do my part to keep it clam and clean.

Thank you Charles.
Thank you Moderators.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

I want to say thank you to all members that have responded here.
You are all gracious & we know you will make the full effort to follow through w/ your committment.

I dont mind saying that I am really looking for some specific screen names to show up here also.
Thank again
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

TNacp99

Post by TNacp99 »

Dear Mr Cotton,

I have winced frequently from the caustic nature of many posts on this forum. Postings under “Political Issues” seem to illicit more emotional content than others. If the tone of our members do not benefit in the future from self-restraint, then perhaps an automated checker can be generated for any postings to the Political issue section. This checker can be a short list of questions that the writer has to consider before submitting the message.

For example:
1-Is your message as accurate and objective as possible, based on relevant facts and what is known rather than what is hypothesized?
2-Is your message free of any insults, personal attacks, and other derogatory commentary on another person’s character?
3-Is your message free of any discrimination based on gender, race, culture, or ethnicity?
4-Would you consider this message acceptable and welcomed if this was directed at you?

If the answer is YES to the above questions, then press submit.

I hope that personal responsibility and civility will change the future tone of our messages and preclude the implementation of having a checklist. I realize it is juvenile and I hope it is not necessary. We all can benefit from some reminders before we send anything on the internet these days.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

I have posted some snarky comments lately but mostly towards the subject at hand. I will try to be better.

This is the best forum I have ever had the pleasure of being a member of, and I mean that sincerely. I hope the self policing solution works and we can continue in the same vein I have come to love.

Thanks to all the mods and to Charles,

JAG
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

I'm still smarting from being labeled a "moral relativist" back in January by one of our more opinionated members, et al. With prayer and spiritual counseling, I'm working through it.

Thanks for a great forum, Chas!

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

Oldgringo wrote:I'm still smarting from being labeled a "moral relativist" back in January by one of our more opinionated members, et al. With prayer and spiritual counseling, I'm working through it.

Someone once told me to give away all my guns because I'm too immature to own firearms. Can't recall exactly who it was, but I'm sure they'd be happy to know that I've almost made it to my first renewal without shooting any drunk kids. ;-)
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

talltex

Post by talltex »

Oldgringo wrote:I'm still smarting from being labeled a "moral relativist" back in January by one of our more opinionated members, et al. With prayer and spiritual counseling, I'm working through it.

I believe I was inducted into the Moral Relativist regiment at he same time, however, rather than smarting from it, I embraced it, and even considered incorporating it into my tag line... ;-)
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

A good topic to keep near "the top" in more than one way.

Civility, manners, respect for others and a bit of tolerance can go along way towards making a better day.

I also think we all can stand a reminder now and again about those things. It's easy to get caught up in the moment or carried along by a topic or subject that we feel strongly about and fail to treat others as we'd like to be treated. It's especially difficult when we feel that our voices aren't being heard and our rights, traditions and values are being violated, disregarded and mocked.

That said, we're all on the same side and should aim to show "them" how it's done.

;-)

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Jeff B. wrote:A good topic to keep near "the top" in more than one way.

Civility, manners, respect for others and a bit of tolerance can go along way towards making a better day.

I also think we all can stand a reminder now and again about those things. It's easy to get caught up in the moment or carried along by a topic or subject that we feel strongly about and fail to treat others as we'd like to be treated. It's especially difficult when we feel that our voices aren't being heard and our rights, traditions and values are being violated, disregarded and mocked.

That said, we're all on the same side and should aim to show "them" how it's done.

;-)

Jeff B.

:thumbs2: :txflag: Both are better than a "Like" button.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

mewalke

Post by mewalke »

Jeff B. wrote:A good topic to keep near "the top" in more than one way.

;-)

Jeff B.
I totally agree, well said. And I also agree that this particular site announcement should stay near the top as a reminder to all of us that sometimes get caught up in a passionate discussion.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

talltex wrote:

I believe I was inducted into the Moral Relativist regiment at he same time, however, rather than smarting from it, I embraced it, and even considered incorporating it into my tag line... ;-)
/sigh
I just Googled "Moral Relativist" and looked at definitions from Wikipedia, a Christian website and others and have no idea exactly what was meant.
I apologize if I become one purely by accident and post inadvertantly in this forum... cause I kinda like it here.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

talltex

Post by talltex »

Purplehood wrote:
talltex wrote:

/sigh
I just Googled "Moral Relativist" and looked at definitions from Wikipedia, a Christian website and others and have no idea exactly what was meant.
I apologize if I become one purely by accident and post inadvertantly in this forum... cause I kinda like it here.
Nah, don't worry...it was just a label that got thrown out there stemming from a discussion where a very few of us took the position that the Federal government didn't need to be in the business of trying to legislate morality versus those who said they refused to vote for any candidate that wouldn't publicly support their specific viewpoint on moral issues (same sex marriage and abortion, which could be considered "the daily double" when it comes to mixing politics and religion)....aside from the label it really wasn't too hostile... :lol:
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

talltex wrote:
Purplehood wrote:
talltex wrote:

/sigh
Nah, don't worry...it was just a label that got thrown out there stemming from a discussion where a very few of us took the position that the Federal government didn't need to be in the business of trying to legislate morality versus those who said they refused to vote for any candidate that wouldn't publicly support their specific viewpoint on moral issues (same sex marriage and abortion, which could be considered "the daily double" when it comes to mixing politics and religion)....aside from the label it really wasn't too hostile... :lol:
"I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam."
- Popeye circa 1940

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I want to be one if I can be civil about it.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”