Troubling times and a decline in civility

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Troubling times and a decline in civility

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

To say that we’re living in troubling times would be a gross understatement. Hardly a week goes by without some revelation about the Obama administration’s thumbing its nose at the constitution and Americans’ civil rights, or blatantly lying about events. Couple that with the irrational hate-mongering response to the Zimmerman verdict by racists such as Al Sharpton, Eric Holder, and Houston’s own convicted felon Quanell X, and the stage is set for the posting of emotionally charged threads on various topics on the Forum. In some cases, the response to these issues is as troubling as the issue itself. It is understandable that Americans are operating at a higher stress level than we have seen in decades and Forum Members are no exception. Nevertheless, it is troubling that there seems to be a general decline in civility among some of our Members. While it remains rare that posts are violating Forum rules against personal attacks, many are coming very close and their overall tenor is insulting and antagonistic.

While some of our Members making such posts are relatively new, many have been part of the Forum family for years. This needs to stop. The fact that emotions are understandably running high on many issues is not justification for diminishing and ultimately destroying the community atmosphere that has existed on the forum for over eight and one half years. The Moderators have been discussing this issue for some time now and we are in agreement that a problem exists. Rather than attempt remedial action, the consensus is that we should bring this issue to our Members and ask those are making posts that are less then statesmanlike to tone it down.

While we’re making this heartfelt plea, I want to be perfectly candid and I’ll start with a confession. I have had to delete two of my own post in the last week because I found myself responding in kind. While I did not violate the black letter rules of the Forum, I certainly violated the spirit of the rules. Since neither I nor any of the Moderators are above the Forum rules, you can be assured that no Member is either. It is abundantly clear that some members have joined solely to be antagonistic, insulting and either start or transform threads into a hate-filled diatribes on any number of subjects. To those who fit this description, leave now; your antics will no longer be tolerated.

LEO threads: Forum Rule 9 prohibits blatant COP-bashing, but it does allow discussions of specific events. Until recently, this rule seems to have worked quite well. Unfortunately, there is a trend developing that is troublesome. Threads are being created concerning events involving law enforcement officers from other states. Some of these threads serve little if any legitimate discussion purposes and appear to have been posted solely to tarnish law enforcement personnel in general. These threads invariably invite one or more posts that are in violation of Rule 9. Equally troubling are the responses from a very few members who are obviously in law enforcement and who always take the officer’s side of any event either with insufficient evidence to make a decision one way the other, or in spite of evidence making it clear that the officer’s conduct was inappropriate or unlawful. Such responses are transparent on their face, but more importantly they tend to escalate the rhetoric in the threads in which they are posted.

There’s no particular desire to prohibit or limit discussion of interaction with various law enforcement personnel, as these discussions have tremendous educational value. However, if there’s not a marked change in the type of threads that are being started and the tenor of the discussions they generate, then something will change in the future. Already under consideration is a rule change that will limit such threads to Texas law enforcement personnel, but such a change will be a last resort. Please do your part in not letting us reach that point.

Please consider the points raised in this post and help us maintain the sense of community that you our Members have created over the last 8+ years. Remember, if the thrust of your post is targeting a Member rather than the issue, then you are on thin ice.

Chas.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Troubling times and a decline in civility

Post by puma guy »

Thank you, Mr. Cotton
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Thank you, Charles.

You effectively and eloquently addressed things I've been noticing recently too. My typical response has been to shut my mouth (figuratively) and move along.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

paperchunker

Post by paperchunker »

Pawpaw wrote:Thank you, Charles.

You effectively and eloquently addressed things I've been noticing recently too. My typical response has been to shut my mouth (figuratively) and move along.
Thank You, sir
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

OldGrumpy

Post by OldGrumpy »

Hopefully, Charles post will bring about the desired results. This is the most civil forum I have participated in, and I support whatever action it takes to keep it that way.
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

My dear mother taught me "Thumper's" rule from "Bambi" as a wee tyke - - - "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all." It has served me well all these years and kept my big foot out of my mouth many times. Thanks Charles. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles, if we had the same kind of upfront self-accountability and honesty from our elected and appointed officials which you've just displayed in your opening post, half of these divisive threads would not even exist. Thank you for that. I'll try to do better.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Word
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Medic624

Post by Medic624 »

Thank you Charles. This IS the most civil and family friendly forum of the forums I frequent...and it is refreshing.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

MoJo wrote:My dear mother taught me "Thumper's" rule from "Bambi" as a wee tyke - - - "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all." It has served me well all these years and kept my big foot out of my mouth many times. Thanks Charles. :tiphat:
I'm getting there!

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

There ain't much room for a "moral relativist" here for sure. I found that out last January.

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

Charles,
Thank you for your transparency and integrity on this issue. I truly enjoy learning from this forum and engaging in dialogue with the members. I think it's safe to say that we members (for the vast majority) are all on the same basic page, and it is the right thing to be civil towards each other, especially in this day and age we live in. May we all take the high road, be humble in our responses, and speak with respect for each other, our civil servants, and our country.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Thank you, Charles, for the reminder.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Charles, I think I speak for most here when I say thank you to you and all of the moderators.

Having been a member almost since the beginning, I have noticed this trend here as well as other areas of my life and unfortunatly I have slid off into it from time to time. If I have done so here, please everyone accept my appologies.
Last edited by RPBrown on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

Thanks Charles!
I'm relatively new to the forum and I really appreciate the civility of its members.
FWIW, I find myself sometimes torn between civil argument and emotional rant. Though I try to remain civil, the emotional rant allows me to purge the anger and stress you identified in your post. I will continue to exercise self control (and delete before posting as you said) and continue to ignore what I perceive as someone else purging their emotions.
Happy Trais! N
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”