Are our email addresses shared with third parties?

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pewter99ta
Posts in topic: 1

Are our email addresses shared with third parties?

Post by pewter99ta »

My apologies if this isn't the correct place for this. I received an unsolicited email from Chris Dixon at McMillan Merchant Solutions (chris.dixon@mmsllc.com) to a unique email address I've only used to register on this forum. I didn't think it was standard practice to share our email addresses so I wanted to bring it to your attention.

If our emails weren't intentionally shared with McMillan I'd also appreciate any insight into how they may have gotten my email.

-Will
NRA Life Member

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Are our email addresses shared with third parties?

Post by Vol Texan »

If I click on your username, it takes me to this page:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12294
Capture1.JPG
There, it has a link for "E-mail pewter99ta", and it shows me your email address.

If you go to your user panel and select the "Board Preferences" tab, under the menu of "Edit global settings", you'll see a setting for, "Users can contact me by e-mail:". Uncheck that, and it should block it for you.
Capture2.JPG
I suggest that you still leave the "Administrators can e-mail me information:" and the "Allow users to send you private messages:" checked as yes, so you can still be reached securely by other TexasCHLForum members.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

pewter99ta wrote:My apologies if this isn't the correct place for this. I received an unsolicited email from Chris Dixon at McMillan Merchant Solutions (chris.dixon@mmsllc.com) to a unique email address I've only used to register on this forum. I didn't think it was standard practice to share our email addresses so I wanted to bring it to your attention.
I don't share email addresses with anyone at any time. Why are you using the Forum name in your email address? Please change it.
pewter99ta wrote:If our emails weren't intentionally shared with McMillan I'd also appreciate any insight into how they may have gotten my email.
My guess is what Vol Texan stated is what happened. I too have been getting the same emails.

Chas.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

Also...

I've been getting the same emails on this topic from the same company, but my email is not available the same way that yours was on this forum. I can only assume that there is another method that they've gotten our emails.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that they got my email address from the TX DPS published email list of instructors.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”