Disposable or Fake Email Addresses

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Disposable or Fake Email Addresses

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Forum rules require that all Member use a legitimate email address for registering and in their Member profile. We continue to have people violate this rule, or use a legitimate email address to register, then change it to a fake address. Doing so will guarantee that you are going to be locked out of the Forum and we will not change it.

Email addresses are continuously checked to see if they are disposable or faked and when they are found, we simply hit a button requiring the Member to reauthenticate their registration. If the email address is no good, then the Member will never receive the required authentication email and they will not be able to log into the Forum. Again, don't send an email asking us to change it; we're not interested in helping people who violate our rules. Plus, when people use these bogus email addresses, they tend to violate other Forum rules as well.

If you're using a fake email address, it is strongly suggested that you change it now.
Chas.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Disposable or Fake Email Addresses

Post by suthdj »

For what it’s worth some of us have our own domains. I will use an email address until I start getting a bunch of junk mail then dispose of it and make a new one. This use to take years, now not so much. So technically all my address are disposable.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I hope my Hotmail account doesn't count that way. I've had the same one since 1998...though it did get locked a couple of times while I was deployed to the desert. :banghead:

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

suthdj wrote:For what it’s worth some of us have our own domains. I will use an email address until I start getting a bunch of junk mail then dispose of it and make a new one. This use to take years, now not so much. So technically all my address are disposable.
I realize some people have their own domains; I have several. Changing emails are fine, but people need to change it here on the Forum, or they will eventually get locked out.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

K.Mooneyham wrote:I hope my Hotmail account doesn't count that way. I've had the same one since 1998...though it did get locked a couple of times while I was deployed to the desert. :banghead:
Hotmail and Gmail addresses are fine, as long as they are active. We've had a few problem Members create Gmail or Hotmail email addresses, then abandon them later. It appears they were set up simply to register for the Forum.

Chas.

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

No worries here, mine is legit. Thank you for all of your efforts to keep it running smoothly.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:...people...use a legitimate email address to register, then change it to a fake address.
I wonder why anyone would do this. AFAICT my email address has never gotten-out from here to any other organizations, nor have I ever gotten any spam as a result (unlike perhaps the NRA which fills both my email and my post office box with stuff).

jmra

Post by jmra »

CHLLady wrote:No worries here, mine is legit.
Same here. I've used this email address since 2005.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”