Some people just want to be a jerk

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Some people just want to be a jerk

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TomsTXCHL wrote:Good grief, I am only trying to understand. And you've linked to neither the rules nor the "guidelines set for discussing OC". How hard do you have to make this..

:???:
It's not that hard to understand. Here are the rules: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10341.

I don't know if it is possible to be 100% perfect, but it IS possible to make an honest effort. If I am in doubt, I check the rules. I make an honest effort. I occasionally slip up, and I occasionally get a reminder from a moderator.......mostly because I wasn't thinking about my word choices when I typed and hit submit.

Another useful tool: if you find that another member's posts routinely annoy you, you can always choose to "ignore" a user's posts by managing your "friends and foes" lists in your user control panel. Add a user to your "foes" list, and their posts magically disappear from the threads you are reading. I don't have anyone currently listed there, but I have used that tool before, and it does add to one's peace of mind.
Attachments
image.jpg
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

TomsTXCHL wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
TomsTXCHL wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:This post is just a reminder that this policy is still in effect. We just lost a member (banned) because he refused to post his childish insults and rants under his real name.
This thread is IMO ineffective without giving examples. Links please, to posts that got people banned...?
We could start with this last actually. If people will read the Forum rules and the guidelines set for discussing OC then Mr. Cotton's post is very clear.
Good grief, I am only trying to understand. And you've linked to neither the rules nor the "guidelines set for discussing OC". How hard do you have to make this..

You are supposed to read the rules at registration, but let me link that for you.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Of course I read the rules. The word "jerk" is neither mentioned nor defined anywhere.

Never mind. Carry on.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TomsTXCHL wrote:Of course I read the rules. The word "jerk" is neither mentioned nor defined anywhere.

Never mind. Carry on.
That's right, it's not a defined term in the Forum Rules. However, I suspect you have a good idea what the term means in everyday speech.

A very few Members don't like the Forum rules about civility and they push the envelope at every opportunity. They won't launch what would be a personal attack under the rules if the post were to be directed to a specific Member, so they so "some people" or another phrase that, when taken in context or chronological order, makes it clear who they mean. Others flat out lie. With some, the majority of their posts are negative and/or confrontational. That's what I mean by jerk in this context. I'm not putting up with OCDO, LSCDL, OCT types who are incapable of a respectful discussion as well as those who can find a conspirator behind every blade of grass. There are plenty of Internet venues where they will fit right in.

Here's the bottom line: habitually violate our rules (note they are "our" rules, not my rules) and one can expect to be banned. If one wants to be a jerk without outright violating Rules, then they are going to post under their real names. It's is amazing that some of the most outspoken jerks don't have the courage to put their names on their keyboard garbage.

Chas.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Javier730 »

Maybe there should be a "Jerk" member status for the ones who do decide to be jerks and post with their names. :lol:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
TomsTXCHL wrote:Good grief, I am only trying to understand. And you've linked to neither the rules nor the "guidelines set for discussing OC". How hard do you have to make this..

It's not that hard to understand. Here are the rules: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10341.

I don't know if it is possible to be 100% perfect, but it IS possible to make an honest effort. If I am in doubt, I check the rules. I make an honest effort. I occasionally slip up, and I occasionally get a reminder from a moderator.......mostly because I wasn't thinking about my word choices when I typed and hit submit.

Another useful tool: if you find that another member's posts routinely annoy you, you can always choose to "ignore" a user's posts by managing your "friends and foes" lists in your user control panel. Add a user to your "foes" list, and their posts magically disappear from the threads you are reading. I don't have anyone currently listed there, but I have used that tool before, and it does add to one's peace of mind.
Thanks! I did not know you could do that. We may have political disagreement, but I don't typically get into difficulties with other posters here. however its good to know as I've seen some posters rub other posters the wrong way.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Javier730 wrote:Maybe there should be a "Jerk" member status for the ones who do decide to be jerks and post with their names. :lol:
Their avatar changes to Steve Martin.

Did I just date myself?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Another useful tool: if you find that another member's posts routinely annoy you, you can always choose to "ignore" a user's posts by managing your "friends and foes" lists in your user control panel. Add a user to your "foes" list, and their posts magically disappear from the threads you are reading. I don't have anyone currently listed there, but I have used that tool before, and it does add to one's peace of mind.
Thanks! I did not know you could do that. We may have political disagreement, but I don't typically get into difficulties with other posters here. however its good to know as I've seen some posters rub other posters the wrong way.
Yeah, you go to your User Control Panel, and click on "Friends & Foes" and then click on "Manage Foes". You can add the usernames of people who bug you to a list there, and all future posts of theirs will show up in place as a brief message that says "This post was made by [username] who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post." .... with "Display this post" being a clickable link which will pop that post open for you to read if you want to.

I have 4 names on my "Foes" list.......just people who continually rubbed me the wrong way. I haven't even looked at the list in a long time until just now. But I note that of the four, one is still currently active, a second hasn't posted since December 2009, one hasn't been active since April 2012, another has been inactive since November 2013. I have managed to have that much more serenity since then. I haven't actually added anybody to that list in quite a while, but in looking at it just now, I realized that there is another person I want to add.

Here's the main thing about the foes list........ as much as it removes an irritant from my perusal, it ALSO keeps me from getting worked up in kind and responding like a jerk (to refer back to the topic of this thread). If somebody routinely irritates you, adding them to your foes list will help to keep YOU out of trouble as much as it will add to your serenity. It's a good tool.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately.
I noticed a post earlier this morning where a member referred to another member as a nitwit or some such pejorative simply because one expressed an opinion that the other found distasteful.
I've noticed MANY posts where certain groups and their membership which have been in the new lately have been called many unflattering names. We need to keep in mind that we aren't the only ones who read this forum. There are some who come here looking for ammunition to use against us. Just because we don't agree with their beliefs or their tactics doesn't give us license to be impolite. We should strive to hold ourselves to a higher standard.
NRA lifetime member

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I realized that there is another person I want to add.
Here's the main thing about the foes list........ as much as it removes an irritant from my perusal, it ALSO keeps me from getting worked up in kind and responding like a jerk (to refer back to the topic of this thread). If somebody routinely irritates you, adding them to your foes list will help to keep YOU out of trouble as much as it will add to your serenity. It's a good tool.
That's a good button. I used it for the first time last Saturday to keep myself out of trouble...
III

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Bump as a reminder.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Bump as a reminder.
Thanks Charles, but I really didn't need to be reminded. :cool:
NRA Endowment Member

Jketchum

Post by Jketchum »

I recently joined this forum, lurked for awhile because I generally don't have much to say and when I do I usually misspell something and make myself look stupid. :banghead:
But I must say, this forum is getting better and better.

Thanks Mr.Charles!
:txflag:

chuck j

Post by chuck j »

This is a forum , http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/forum . I picked this link not of personal preference but definition , trying to be

We are entitled to an opinion . Others need not agree BUT it is your opinion . After protracted disagreement , pie charts . statistics , semantics , .................................................................lay it down . Agree to disagree...............The relief should be rewarding and respectful , you can move on having expressed your thoughts should give you consolation .

LOL , I am almost famous for ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AGREE TO DISAGREE . I am hardheaded , opinionated ..............yet willing to listen . Post carefully , thousands will read it , be sure of your thoughts .they influence others to be convicted ,be sure . of your convictions .

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
Javier730 wrote:Maybe there should be a "Jerk" member status for the ones who do decide to be jerks and post with their names. :lol:
Their avatar changes to Steve Martin.

Did I just date myself?
A better one would be to change their avatar to Don Rickles. I know I just dated myself.
Don Rickles.jpg
Don Rickles.jpg (4.2 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
He always looks like a cat sizing up the canary.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”