Reminder: TexasCHLforum is not the National Inquirer

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Reminder: TexasCHLforum is not the National Inquirer

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Once again we're forced to remind some Members that the Forum is not the Texas version of the National Inquirer. There have been a number of threads started recently that fall into this category. Such threads will be deleted. I'm not going to have the credibility of the Forum damaged by Chicken Little themes.

Chas.

b322da

Re: Reminder: TexasCHLforum is not the National Inquirer

Post by b322da »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: ... I'm not going to have the credibility of the Forum damaged by Chicken Little themes.

Chas.
Those words were really needed about now, Chas. I was beginning to wonder if I waste my time here while trying to use your forum constructively as my primary means of keeping up with both the law and real news dealing with the forum's purpose. Your effort to maintain the forum's credibility in the eyes of the "outside world," if you will, once again reminds me of your wisdom. The forum of late has tended too often to shift away from being a credible source of information helpful to the cause we further, towards being viewed as a bunch of crazies harmful to that cause when those not sharing its goals view the forum. The key word here, of course, is "credibility."

While I admire your subtlety when dealing with this issue, Chas., please forgive me if I spell out a little more clearly what my strongly-held views in this respect are.

Jim

Diesel42
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Diesel42 »

what Chas and Jim said.... x2.
Thanks!
Nick
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Chas.,

I'm certain, "I sent my CHL back to DPS; what happens?" exemplifies your post title,
but I am not at all certain of others.

Would you please post some further examples?

Thanks!

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

This post had me scrambling through my posts trying to figure out if I had overstepped the bounds somewhere. When I saw the reference to the turned in my CHL thread I went and read it for the first time. Then I went, OH! I get it now.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I suspect that is not the only one that led to this reminder.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

b322da

Post by b322da »

mojo84 wrote:I suspect that is not the only one that led to this reminder.
:iagree:

Jim

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

We need more examples to be certain we don't inadvertently start a National Inquirer type thread.

I can see a lot of us scratching our heads wondering, did I ever post one...?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Folks, don't go back checking posts or threads, we don't expect that. I don't want to point out specific threads to spotlight anyone as I believe everyone recognizes threads that go far beyond the scope of firearms, self-defense and other topics relevant to the Forum. Sensational threads linked only to a single dubious site or authority are always suspect, so please try to verify the subject with a reputable source before posting.

As the Forum has grown it's entirely natural to want to discuss topics that are outside the traditional scope of issues we cover. This is always a tough call for the Moderators because we want the Forum to maintain credibility on its core issues while not limiting what has become an online "family." I must confess that I've been guilty of getting out of bounds myself and have either deleted or edited my on posts, so I don't fault anyone for making the same mistake.

On a few occasions :mrgreen: I've made the comment that "there are other discussion boards for those topics." Well, I looked around and can't find any, at least not any that are truly general in nature and that have similar rules on civility. So I've registered the domain http://www.TexasChatter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and will open a discussion board on it soon. I looked for more traditional names like TexasTalk, but those that quickly come to mind are already taken even though there are no websites online. The owners are probably holding them to sell at an exorbitant price. Plus, the term "chatter" have come to mean something entirely different from the Webster definition. Its current connotation is more in the vein of "what's going on" or "what's being discussed or planned" and that is really an appropriate name for the site as I envision it.

TexasChatter.com will have the same rules as to civility, but there will be few limitations on subject matter. Obviously, there will be no advocating of illegal conduct or activity and it will be noncommercial as is the Forum. I'm open to suggestions as to Categories and forums you would like to see. I have no idea if this new site will be popular or not. If so, great, if not, that's no problem. I'll post a new thread when TexasChatter.com is open.

Chas.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Thanks Charles, slogging through stuff that should be on FB, or twitter gets pretty old after a while.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

MoJo wrote:Thanks Charles, slogging through stuff that should be on FB, or twitter gets pretty old after a while.
:iagree: If I wanted to read facebecktwits, I would be spending time on those sites.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Selina Kyle

Post by Selina Kyle »

My sincere apologies if I have posted anything wrong. I try to abide by all the rules, I really do. I am hesitant to even start a new thread most of the time, because I don't want to end up on the naughty list. :???:

I hope that with this reminder things will become more friendly around here with less drama.
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”