Ham Call Signs In Profile

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ham Call Signs In Profile

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

This sounds interesting, like I need another expensive hobby :rolll
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

joe817 wrote:TAM, good luck on the No Code Tech exam. It's a breeze. I went from Novice to Extra in 11 months, and that was when code was required on all exams(except Advanced IIRC...it's been a while) Breezed through Novice, Tech, and General with no problems. Learning the General 13 wpm was a bit of a challenge, but listening to the Gordon West tapes made it a breeze(no, I don't work for Gordon, but I knew him & knew him well). Advanced gave me fits. Had to take the exam 2 times before I passed. Very complicated for me. Rote memorization got me through. I was fortunate enough for THE W5YI VEC to give me a part time job grading papers at his house here. It turned into a full time job, and it was so much fun while it lasted. Gordon & Fred collaborated on many training manuals & tapes, & I was privileged enough to debut them at the Dayton Ham Convention. I'm not in the business anymore, nor am I active, but I miss it. Many, many stories to tell....for another time.

Joe AA5LD
You are correct about the Advanced not requiring additional code. I got my Novice in 1976 ( 5 WPM code), then upgraded to Technician shortly thereafter. I took the General exam (13 WPM) a few months later. This was done at the Houston Amateur Radio Club facility and an FCC employee came to the club on a Saturday to give the exams. This unheard of at the time. (My Technician exam was at the FCC office in Houston.) The examiner told those of us who had passed the General exam to take the Advanced just for the experience and exposure. A few of us passed it, much to our surprise! 13 WPM was hard enough and I knew I'd never get to 20 WPM, so I never tried to upgrade to Extra. I was out of ham radio for over 20 years, and by the time I got interested again, the code requirement had been dropped and I upgraded to Extra. My wife got a grandfather upgrade from Technician (later Technician Plus) to General.

I used Gordon West's study manual and computer software for my Extra Class upgrade and it is great. A buddy of mine used it for Technician, General and Extra. I had no idea Gordon was doing this back when Advanced tickets where still being issued. When I got my first three tickets (went from Technician to Advanced without every holding a General), the test question pool was not available to the public and we had to study various manuals.

Chas.

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cbunt1 »

I've chased the idea around since the mid '80s, and I always had problems with deciphering the code. I can (well, could, I've forgotten a BUNCH of the letters now) send just fine, but my ears just can't discern the dots from the dashes, even at 5 WPM.

So I studied the theory side and never bothered to go forward. Even once the "no-code" tickets started, I didn't go through with it, because for some reason I was always interested in 10-meter, and you had to code to play on 10-meter.

But now that everything's "no code" (I just learned this earlier this week) it looks like I'm pretty much good-to-go for a Tech test, and I'm working through the General questions now. I aim to take both at the same time.

Then I'll go for the Extra, but I'll have to spend some time studying to get there.

Interesting (and thrilling) to see so many currently working on the same stuff -- I hadn't paid it any attention in years, but it was always something I wanted to finish. Now's the time!
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

Anyone interested in ham radio should find a local club that will be participating in Field Day which is this weekend.
http://www.arrl.org/field-day
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

AJSully421 wrote:FCC license data is public information. If I know your call sign, I know your name and home address.

No thanks.
No, you don't. You the mailing address I told the feds where I can receive mail... I most certainly do not live at the post office.

73 de n5wd
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JALLEN »

n5wd wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:FCC license data is public information. If I know your call sign, I know your name and home address.

No thanks.
No, you don't. You the mailing address I told the feds where I can receive mail... I most certainly do not live at the post office.

73 de n5wd
Is your maidenhead grid right on QRZ.com, or is that the PO, too?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

JALLEN wrote:
n5wd wrote:

No thanks.

73 de n5wd
Is your maidenhead grid right on QRZ.com, or is that the PO, too?
Unless you go in and change it yourself, the grid is for the Post Office, IIRC (though it may be for the city center or city hall). QRZ has no way of knowing my actual grid unless I tell them, since it's not something the FCC asks for on Form 605.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

TAM,

I teach the tech class whenever my club has a training and test session. Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Mike KE5MC

P.S. Field Day is this week-end. Northeast Tarrant Amateur Radio Club (NETARC) will be operating in the community room at the Police/Fire/Court build which is NW of town square in Southlake, TX. Noon Saturday til same time Sunday. We will have two HF stations and one VHF station operating during that time. All are welcome to watch, learn and operate a radio under supervision if you want.
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 5

Post by AJSully421 »

n5wd wrote:

No thanks.

73 de n5wd
FCC says the listed address must be where you are transmitting from. CoC #4. They can and have jerked licenses because of it.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

AJSully421 wrote:
n5wd wrote:

No thanks.

73 de n5wd
FCC says the listed address must be where you are transmitting from. CoC #4. They can and have jerked licenses because of it.
What is CoC#4?

I thought the old location of the station stuff was done away with decades ago.

It's important to get the right grid though. Lots of award hunters rely on that.

I looked up one fellow whose station I am familiar with. The grid boundary runs between his house and his antenna tower!
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

FWIW, I'm studying for my Technician license right now.
me too.

using this site for practice exams:
http://aa9pw.com/radio/
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

twjones

Post by twjones »

Any general info someone can provide for a transplant (Houston area)? Granted, I haven't been on the air in a while. However, I would like to start helping with exams again (ARRL VE).

W9TWJ, Tanner

MustangGlocker

Post by MustangGlocker »

joe817 wrote:I was fortunate enough for THE W5YI VEC to give me a part time job grading papers at his house here. It turned into a full time job, and it was so much fun while it lasted. Gordon & Fred collaborated on many training manuals & tapes, & I was privileged enough to debut them at the Dayton Ham Convention.
Hey Joe, I worked for Fred and Larry for about 5 years back in the late 90's, early 2000's processing applications and have spent many hours with Gordo :shock: . Thanks to this thread, I now(vaguely)remember who you are. Recognize your call. I was once a member of the AARC a very long time ago and we've met on countless occasions at monthly meetings. I'm pretty much only on the radio during severe weather when I'm at the National Weather Service office working the nets in our county warning area.

Last edited by MustangGlocker on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick
NRA Life Member
Blue Lives Matter

txsmiley kf5wre

Post by txsmiley kf5wre »

Yep

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”