Ham Call Signs In Profile

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Ham Call Signs In Profile

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

txsmiley kf5wre wrote:Yep
Welcome back my friend!

Chas.

Nano
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Nano »

Congratulations TAM. I have an Advanced license and the same call letters since June 3, 1959.
NRA Member

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

MustangGlocker wrote:
joe817 wrote:I was fortunate enough for THE W5YI VEC to give me a part time job grading papers at his house here. It turned into a full time job, and it was so much fun while it lasted. Gordon & Fred collaborated on many training manuals & tapes, & I was privileged enough to debut them at the Dayton Ham Convention.
Hey Joe, I worked for Fred and Larry for about 5 years back in the late 90's, early 2000's processing applications and have spent many hours with Gordo :shock: . Thanks to this thread, I now(vaguely)remember who you are. Recognize your call. I was once a member of the AARC a very long time ago and we've met on countless occasions at monthly meetings. I'm pretty much only on the radio during severe weather when I'm at the National Weather Service office working the nets in our county warning area.

N5AFD
Hey N5AFD! Good to hear from you! I'd probably recognize you immediately if I saw you, remembering the old AARC days. A lonnnggggg time ago! I'm not active on any of the ham bands and haven't been for some time. I need to get back into the swing of things.

I pass by the office(or where it used to be...I guess it's still there. The HF yagi is still up) several times per week. Brought back fond memories. Is Larry still there? He & I used to have used to have so much fun going to the regional hamfests in TX, OK, & LA while generating some pretty good income for the company. If the 'Pole' ( :cool: :lol: ) is still there, we ought to get together someday & pay him a visit! :cheers2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

In case any of you hams need an avatar, I found this [thanks Keith B].

NRA Endowment Member

MustangGlocker

Post by MustangGlocker »

Hey *****! Good to hear from you! I'd probably recognize you immediately if I saw you, remembering the old AARC days. A lonnnggggg time ago! I'm not active on any of the ham bands and haven't been for some time. I need to get back into the swing of things.

I pass by the office(or where it used to be...I guess it's still there. The HF yagi is still up) several times per week. Brought back fond memories. Is Larry still there? He & I used to have used to have so much fun going to the regional hamfests in TX, OK, & LA while generating some pretty good income for the company. If the 'Pole' ( :cool: :lol: ) is still there, we ought to get together someday & pay him a visit! :cheers2:
They are still there. Larry actually bought the company when Fred retired so he's been running the show, with common sense for many years. He also got Fred's old call assigned to the VEC in memoriam so W5YI will live on forever.
Last edited by MustangGlocker on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick
NRA Life Member
Blue Lives Matter

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

AJSully421 wrote:
n5wd wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:FCC license data is public information. If I know your call sign, I know your name and home address.

No thanks.
No, you don't. You the mailing address I told the feds where I can receive mail... I most certainly do not live at the post office.

73 de n5wd
FCC says the listed address must be where you are transmitting from. CoC #4. They can and have jerked licenses because of it.
Sorry for the late reply - things have been busy.

Re: having to "transmit" from the location on your license.. You're quite simply wrong, or saying something you believe but is not correct.

It used to be, waaaay up until the middle 60's, that you either had to be where your license locationwas, or you had to transmit a notice that you were either mobile or portable in "X" call district. That went away when the feds dropped additional station licenses in the mid 60's. You used to could have more than one call sign, associated with a different location where you would be transmitting, but all thst was dropped over 50 years ago. Today, you do not have to say where you are if you aren't transmitting from your home station, and there are no requirements that you notify the FCC if your stationlicense address changes, as long as you still receive mail at your mailing address!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 5

Post by AJSully421 »

n5wd wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:
n5wd wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:FCC license data is public information. If I know your call sign, I know your name and home address.

No thanks.
No, you don't. You the mailing address I told the feds where I can receive mail... I most certainly do not live at the post office.

73 de n5wd
FCC says the listed address must be where you are transmitting from. CoC #4. They can and have jerked licenses because of it.
Sorry for the late reply - things have been busy.

Re: having to "transmit" from the location on your license.. You're quite simply wrong, or saying something you believe but is not correct.

It used to be, waaaay up until the middle 60's, that you either had to be where your license locationwas, or you had to transmit a notice that you were either mobile or portable in "X" call district. That went away when the feds dropped additional station licenses in the mid 60's. You used to could have more than one call sign, associated with a different location where you would be transmitting, but all thst was dropped over 50 years ago. Today, you do not have to say where you are if you aren't transmitting from your home station, and there are no requirements that you notify the FCC if your stationlicense address changes, as long as you still receive mail at your mailing address!
Gotcha. I had a guy in his 60's teaching my class, so who knows if he was going off of old info. Either way, no thanks.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

I'm not putting mine on a forum and certainly not on my car's license plate.
Or anywhere else near folks looking to be offended by something.
You may have the last word.

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

The Annoyed Man wrote:FWIW, I'm studying for my Technician license right now.
Good luck on your test if you haven't taken it by now. There are plenty of resources and repeaters in the DFW area to play around with. Hope to hear you on the air soon.
NRA Life Member

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

After all those years of not going forward because I couldn't get past the code, I finally spent some time studying the practice tests and went down and tested.

I managed to go from "Zero to Extra" in one sitting. On one hand I'm proud of the accomplishment, but on another I almost feel like I cheated the system. I guess it's because for so many years the code was considered a rite of passage, and I remember the backlash when the first "no code tech" licenses were issued.

At any rate, strangely enough I find myself compelled to learn the code, and now that I'm doing it because I "want" to instead of feeling pushed into it, it's coming along...

But back to the point -- the flash-card and practice testing systems (especially hamstudy.org for me) work. And the examiners are there to help you get licensed, not to serve as a barrier to entry.

And back to the original topic -- I don't have much issue putting a callsign here since so much of what I say and do as an instructor is either public, or references something I do "for real" -- but I won't be putting it on my license plate or plastering it on the windows of my truck anymore than I put NRA and IDPA stickers on my truck, and for the same reasons. No sense in getting a license plate that says "expensive and exotic radios installed in this truck, please steal them." :)
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

cbunt1 wrote:No sense in getting a license plate that says "expensive and exotic radios installed in this truck, please steal them." :)
Its that big ole antenna, that will give you away every time. :lol:
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

Liberty wrote:
cbunt1 wrote:No sense in getting a license plate that says "expensive and exotic radios installed in this truck, please steal them." :)
Its that big ole antenna, that will give you away every time. :lol:
There is, of course, that!

And it doesn't help that antennas, much like holsters, have a tendency to propagate on their own when left unattended. It's not that one big antenna, it's the three on the roof, one on each mirror, and the big ole 6M attached to the gooseneck hitch.... :biggrinjester:
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

WildBill wrote:In case any of you hams need an avatar, I found this [thanks Keith B].

Are you saying this looks like me? (Well, kinda did when I was a kid. LOL)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:
WildBill wrote:In case any of you hams need an avatar, I found this [thanks Keith B].

Are you saying this looks like me? (Well, kinda did when I was a kid. LOL)
Keith, even if I thought that it looked like you, I have enough good manners not to say so. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

I just added mine to my sig. I don't care of people know my name and address. Considering my name and address are published by the ATF and DOJ, I think my ham license is the least of my worries ;)
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”