Cannot Receive Forum Emails

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thehemi
Posts in topic: 5

Cannot Receive Forum Emails

Post by thehemi »

Can this config be addressed so I can receive emails from these forums?

Deferred: 450 4.1.8 <texaschl@server.texaschlforum.com>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found

# nslookup server.texaschlforum.com 8.8.8.8
Server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53
** server can't find server.texaschlforum.com: NXDOMAIN

Thanks!
Scott

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Cannot Receive Forum Emails

Post by mojo84 »

Interesting 1st post.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

Put the domain on your whitelist?
It's not that the site is failing to send the email, it's that your mail server is rejecting it.
Not much the site can do to fix your mail server filter.... IMO.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Acronym Esq
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Acronym Esq »

thehemi wrote:Can this config be addressed so I can receive emails from these forums?
Deferred: 450 4.1.8 <texaschl@server.texaschlforum.com>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found

# nslookup server.texaschlforum.com 8.8.8.8
Server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53
** server can't find server.texaschlforum.com: NXDOMAIN
I have never gotten an email from this forum either, but I never bothered to track it down. Makes sense that receiving mail server might do an nslookup on the "from" field to verify that the address is valid.
server.texaschlforum.com does not resolve
texaschlforum.com does resolve

Is it possible that adding "server." to the from field in automatic emails sent from texaschlforum.com causes my mail server to reject the message because the server doesn't resolve?

Acronym 11/14/2017 12:06 PM

Topic author
thehemi

Post by thehemi »

mojo84 wrote:Interesting 1st post.
That's because it was my first issue trying to get registered. :)

Thanks,
Scott

Topic author
thehemi

Post by thehemi »

RoyGBiv wrote:Put the domain on your whitelist?
It's not that the site is failing to send the email, it's that your mail server is rejecting it.
Not much the site can do to fix your mail server filter.... IMO.
There's nothing -broke- that I need to fix on my mail server. There's little reason to allow emails from invalid senders, IMHO.

Thanks,
Scott

Topic author
thehemi

Post by thehemi »

Acronym Esq wrote:Is it possible that adding "server." to the from field in automatic emails sent from texaschlforum.com causes my mail server to reject the message because the server doesn't resolve?
Most likely. I imagine all major mail providers reject emails from senders that don't resolve.

Thanks,
Scott

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

thehemi wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Interesting 1st post.
That's because it was my first issue trying to get registered. :)

Thanks,
Scott
What emails are you expecting or trying to receive from this forum? As a brand new member and without any posts in other topics, what do you expect to receive?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
thehemi

Post by thehemi »

mojo84 wrote:What emails are you expecting or trying to receive from this forum? As a brand new member and without any posts in other topics, what do you expect to receive?
I did not receive the "click here to activate your account" email. I had to go to nerdy extremes to get it from the logs.

I'm just mentioning a configuration issue that has caused me an issue and maybe affects others. Sorry if this offends folks?

Thanks,
Scott

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

thehemi wrote:
mojo84 wrote:What emails are you expecting or trying to receive from this forum? As a brand new member and without any posts in other topics, what do you expect to receive?
I did not receive the "click here to activate your account" email. I had to go to nerdy extremes to get it from the logs.

I'm just mentioning a configuration issue that has caused me an issue and maybe affects others. Sorry if this offends folks?

Thanks,
Scott
Not offended. Just curious since you said you couldn't get emails but you were obviously able to post.
Last edited by mojo84 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Acronym Esq
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Acronym Esq »

thehemi wrote:
I'm just mentioning a configuration issue that has caused me an issue and maybe affects others.
Yep. Me too. My nerdy extreme was to google-fu a mod's email address and contact them directly.

I think thehemi has identified the problem. Should be an easy fix.

acronym 11/14/2017 8:51 PM

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”