Drones

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Drones

Post by G.A. Heath »

oohrah wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:01 am
nightmare69 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:16 am As a drone hobbyists and Texas LEO, no you cannot shoot down a drone. You own the property not the airspace above it. Now if someone is flying 15ft above your backyard looking around your property, call the police. If I’m flying 200ft above I assure you my camera zoom isn’t like that of a military predator drone even though my DJI Mavic is a $1k drone.
I know drones have to be registered with the FAA. Do you also have to have a Part 107 license, or is that just for commercial?
Part 107 is only required for commercial operations, but the FAA's definition of commercial is rather expansive.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KC5AV »

And registration is only required if the drone is over 250 grams. The Mavic mini comes in a 249 grams.
NRA lifetime member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

MadMonkey wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:30 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:44 am
MadMonkey wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:00 pm They'll be useful in the coming years if you take the time to learn about them :cool:
Actually... I’m very interested in learning. My next planned large purchase isn’t another gun—of which I have plenty—it’s a a drone. I’m thinking in terms of the latest Mavik Mini, which is supposed to have longer battery life than the larger models, while still offering decent video feed.

Have you ever considered offering drone flying lessons to the uninitiated first-time buyer? You might make some decent side -money that way. (I have copyrighted the idea, which of course I’ll license to you in exchange for free lessons. :mrgreen: )
I might actually have a Mavic Mini for you, but I need to do some troubleshooting to figure out why it's not getting the range it's supposed to... I took it to Nebraska to scout for prairie dog towns last month and it did pretty well for that application :mrgreen: I think wifi interference is the problem but I need to verify that it's not defective before I sell it.

The video quality is exceptional for being such a tiny thing! I'm not a great teacher but I can definitely show you how to fly one.
Oh man! I’ll probably take you up on that if you sort it out!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oohrah
Posts in topic: 6

Post by oohrah »

KC5AV wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:09 am And registration is only required if the drone is over 250 grams. The Mavic mini comes in a 249 grams.
But don't you still have to comply with the airspace and altitude rules? And how do you know those if you're flying an unlicensed drone.

As a pilot, I'm concerned about ignorant drone flyers causing a hazard if they fly too high or get in the wrong airspace. There have been reported incidents of near misses and possibly even a few collisions.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Archery1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Archery1 »

oohrah wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:33 am
KC5AV wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:09 am And registration is only required if the drone is over 250 grams. The Mavic mini comes in a 249 grams.
But don't you still have to comply with the airspace and altitude rules? And how do you know those if you're flying an unlicensed drone.

As a pilot, I'm concerned about ignorant drone flyers causing a hazard if they fly too high or get in the wrong airspace. There have been reported incidents of near misses and possibly even a few collisions.
My Mavic firmware updates constantly, and the app identifies flying zones by color code and warnings, and I believe in some areas will limit operation in no-fly zones (never been in those zones). Still, I have helicopters fly over at well below my elevation limit (35 miles from airport). Sometimes, a local crop duster does his turnarounds over my property. You typically get enough visual warning in those cases.

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:08 pm
MadMonkey wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:00 pm They'll be useful in the coming years if you take the time to learn about them :cool:
Actually... I’m very interested in learning. My next planned large purchase isn’t another gun—of which I have plenty—it’s a a drone. I’m thinking in terms of the latest Mavik Mini, which is supposed to have longer battery life than the larger models, while still offering decent video feed.

Have you ever considered offering drone flying lessons to the uninitiated first-time buyer? You might make some decent side -money that way. (I have copyrighted the idea, which of course I’ll license to you in exchange for free lessons. :mrgreen: )
I might actually have a Mavic Mini for you, but I need to do some troubleshooting to figure out why it's not getting the range it's supposed to... I took it to Nebraska to scout for prairie dog towns last month and it did pretty well for that application :mrgreen: I think wifi interference is the problem but I need to verify that it's not defective before I sell it.

The video quality is exceptional for being such a tiny thing! I'm not a great teacher but I can definitely show you how to fly one.
I have a Mavic Air so I follow the hobby. The mini is a good starter and get the fly more package as it has nice accessories. I had to look the specifications up and depending on frequency it is using about 1.2 miles no obstruction or interference. It will be out of sight long before that and requirements are to have visual line of sight to the craft. I don’t believe DJI is overstating the range, but I’m betting the testing area is pristine for the no obstruction/interference. Really what range helps with is keeping good control of drone within your line of sight with the environment we typically have to work with.
Mike
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mcscanner wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:54 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:08 pm

I have a Mavic Air so I follow the hobby. The mini is a good starter and get the fly more package as it has nice accessories. I had to look the specifications up and depending on frequency it is using about 1.2 miles no obstruction or interference. It will be out of sight long before that and requirements are to have visual line of sight to the craft. I don’t believe DJI is overstating the range, but I’m betting the testing area is pristine for the no obstruction/interference. Really what range helps with is keeping good control of drone within your line of sight with the environment we typically have to work with.
Mike
Thanks for the tip.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

Mike
I've seen a video of range test of the Air against advertised, which was verified by the person lifting off and going full speed forward until all communication lost, then setting the controller down and waiting for the drone to return on its own as programmed to do. It worked at full advertised range.

Of course, we don't fly that way. Fast forward uses the least power, as the tests are done, but any hovering and observing as I would do lessens battery reserve to the point max battery range getting there and back would probably be less than the max communication range. So for me, and having it kept in sight, range in miles is of little concern.

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

I was addressing an earlier post(MadMonkey) about a mini with a shorter than expect range. His prairie dog town hunting is a good case for craft reaching specified range assuming flat isolated land. His shorter than expected configuration was not specified. My Air easily flies farther than my old eyes can see. :-)
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Archery1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:44 am

My Mavic firmware updates constantly, and the app identifies flying zones by color code and warnings, and I believe in some areas will limit operation in no-fly zones (never been in those zones). Still, I have helicopters fly over at well below my elevation limit (35 miles from airport). Sometimes, a local crop duster does his turnarounds over my property. You typically get enough visual warning in those cases.
That's good to know, thanks. I assume your software then restricts your altitude, etc.

WRT helicopters, they do not have the same altitude restrictions as fixed wing, and over "sparsely populated areas", any aircraft can fly as low as it wants, as long as it stays at least 500 ft from any person or thing. Not smart, but legal.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

oohrah wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:01 am
nightmare69 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:16 am As a drone hobbyists and Texas LEO, no you cannot shoot down a drone. You own the property not the airspace above it. Now if someone is flying 15ft above your backyard looking around your property, call the police. If I’m flying 200ft above I assure you my camera zoom isn’t like that of a military predator drone even though my DJI Mavic is a $1k drone.
I know drones have to be registered with the FAA. Do you also have to have a Part 107 license, or is that just for commercial?
You only need a 107 if you’re using your drone to make money as in areal mapping for a surveyor. I fly under the “Hobbyist“ classification. You just need to register your drone with the FAA and have fun.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

oohrah wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:10 am

That's good to know, thanks. I assume your software then restricts your altitude, etc.

WRT helicopters, they do not have the same altitude restrictions as fixed wing, and over "sparsely populated areas", any aircraft can fly as low as it wants, as long as it stays at least 500 ft from any person or thing. Not smart, but legal.
My DJI is restricted to 500 meters by the software. I am looking into hacking my drone so I can use it to it’s full potential. Videos I’ve seen they will go 12k-13k ft before loosing connection and returning to home. I see the restrictions as buying a Ferrari and the factory limiting it to 80mph. I want the training wheels off.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

nightmare69 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:05 am
oohrah wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:10 am

My DJI is restricted to 500 meters by the software. I am looking into hacking my drone so I can use it to it’s full potential. Videos I’ve seen they will go 12k-13k ft before loosing connection and returning to home. I see the restrictions as buying a Ferrari and the factory limiting it to 80mph. I want the training wheels off.
Yet, isn't that illegal (and irresponsible) - unless you can find a building 12.000 ft tall.
USMC, Retired

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

oohrah wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:39 am
nightmare69 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:05 am My DJI is restricted to 500 meters by the software. I am looking into hacking my drone so I can use it to it’s full potential. Videos I’ve seen they will go 12k-13k ft before loosing connection and returning to home. I see the restrictions as buying a Ferrari and the factory limiting it to 80mph. I want the training wheels off.
Yet, isn't that illegal (and irresponsible) - unless you can find a building 12.000 ft tall.
Wouldn't both examples be illegal (the Ferrari and the Mavic)? Or more technically, having the capability to exceed the limits isn't illegal, but actually exceeding those limits would be under most circumstances.

grnamin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by grnamin »

You can fly up to 400 ft above ground level (AGL) or a 400 ft. radius from a structure you are inspecting. No flying into clouds. Must be 500 ft below and 2000 ft to the side of clouds. Keep drone in visual line of sight at all times. If it's in a cloud, its not in line of sight. Manned aircraft always have the right of way. If you will fly in Class B, C, D, or E airspace, you need clearance first. I use Airmap, B4UFly and Kittyhawk apps prior to flying, even if its non-commercial. You can request clearance if needed via the apps almost in real time. No flying in national parks. Check local laws for state parks or use the apps.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”