Finally!!!!!!!!! The Forum is back.

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Finally!!!!!!!!! The Forum is back.

Post by Beiruty »

Rafe wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:49 am Quick follow-up. Found the "Manage 'Remember Me' Login Keys" option on my user control panel. Yep; the board is definitely logging me out and every time I log back in it sets a new login key; I attached a screenshot showing the five unique keys set in two days, all for the same machine at the same IP address. I'll do some Googling and experimenting later today, but considering this is a plain-Jane Win 10 system with the latest (as in last Wednesday) updates and that I'm running the latest version of Chrome, I imagine I'm not the only one that may be seeing the...issue. It isn't a problem, but I'm just spoiled and used to being able to jump right on the board without logging in every time.
I am also being forced to log out. "Remember me" is not working.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Rafe
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Rafe »

Beiruty wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:53 pm I am also being forced to log out. "Remember me" is not working.
I'm not crazy! :anamatedbanana

Well, at least not about this. The forum logged me out again since my last post, and this time I cleared all "remember me" keys, manually logged out, and then deleted the only three cookies on my system related to the forum...at least that I could find. Chrome doesn't allow you to search the contents of stored cookies, only the name or domain name. I know that at least the basic site cookies are being set properly because the three I deleted were dated yesterday, but I couldn't locate the actual text of the "remember me" keys on my PC to see where they were stored. Found a PhpBB knowledge base article that described incorrect cookie settings as being the most likely culprit for "remember me" not working, but from the info I saw in the three cookies I deleted, I sorta doubt that's the issue.

Anyway, I'll just quietly walk away now and leave the forum open in a browser tab, then check it again after a few hours, see if zapping the stored keys and deleting the cookies made any difference.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Yep; nope. It still logged me off automatically even with the forum open in a browser tab. Not certain of the auto-logout timing, but seems to be between 2 and 4 hours.

But...the new cookies did not go back under any name I searched; they're no longer there under the domain name, or anything containing the terms "tex"; "txc"; "chl"; "forum"; or the forum server's IP address.
:headscratch

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Rafe wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:25 pm Yep; nope. It still logged me off automatically even with the forum open in a browser tab. Not certain of the auto-logout timing, but seems to be between 2 and 4 hours.

But...the new cookies did not go back under any name I searched; they're no longer there under the domain name, or anything containing the terms "tex"; "txc"; "chl"; "forum"; or the forum server's IP address.
Earlier I said I was browsing on Safari, I meant to say Chrome. I was thinking about my phone. Just the same, it never logs me off. Maybe something in your browser settings? Very strange. When you figure it out, let us all know in case we start having the issue.

I just noticed in my user control panel under profile, there is a "remember me login setting" . It says this, "The "Remember Me" login keys automatically log you in when you visit the board. If you logout, the remember me login key is deleted only on the computer you are using to logout. Here you can see remember login keys created on other computers you used to access this site."
That may or may not be the issue but I thought I would mention it.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:29 pm
Rafe wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:25 pm Yep; nope. It still logged me off automatically even with the forum open in a browser tab. Not certain of the auto-logout timing, but seems to be between 2 and 4 hours.

Earlier I said I was browsing on Safari, I meant to say Chrome. I was thinking about my phone. Just the same, it never logs me off. Maybe something in your browser settings? Very strange. When you figure it out, let us all know in case we start having the issue.

I just noticed in my user control panel under profile, there is a "remember me login setting" . It says this, "The "Remember Me" login keys automatically log you in when you visit the board. If you logout, the remember me login key is deleted only on the computer you are using to logout. Here you can see remember login keys created on other computers you used to access this site."
That may or may not be the issue but I thought I would mention it.
No, that's the screencap I posted earlier, where I found the list and dates/times of the "remember me" keys. And this is the only PC or device I've used to access the forum in, oh, about a year. Don't use my phone to do it, and don't use either of the other two PCs 'cause they're each involved in work stuff. Oh, and I don't manually log-off the forum, just close the browser.

But we know the forum uses cookies, and after clearing what was there previously, I can't find the new cookies anywhere. If you're game, you might try deleting your existing texaschlforum.com cookies and then see if it doesn't start automatically logging you out, too. The old cookies that were on my system had relatively short expiration dates in them (I think 60 days, but I didn't make note of that), and it may just be that a lot of forum users have not yet had the old cookies expire.

Also, I just noticed that all my URLs while on the forum are now showing a session ID key after what used to be the normal URL, e.g., appending something like "&sid=03f02a2e7b2ef94c857e8a8f33a2ce." That never used to be there, and I suspect it's related to a particular session's "countdown clock."

Don't know why I'm so interested in the issue. I just can't resist the unknown. ;-)

stroo

Post by stroo »

Thankfully the forum is back. I thought maybe it was the leftist overclass that shut it down. Glad it was a software issue. Welcome back!

Ed4032
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ed4032 »

I think that the Russians are somehow involved. Working on a dossier. Details later.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Stand by for more information. -Q
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Ok, I admit I didn't read all the many posts so it may be mentioned. There are some problems still. If I take the long route around things it seems fine. If I click a shortcut like "your posts" I get the general error message. I also got it when I clicked the thread title for this thread but when I click the little red "go to the first unread post" it jumps to post 61. So something is still wrong with the forum although there is a way around at least most of it I guess.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

LDB415 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:14 pm Ok, I admit I didn't read all the many posts so it may be mentioned. There are some problems still. If I take the long route around things it seems fine. If I click a shortcut like "your posts" I get the general error message. I also got it when I clicked the thread title for this thread but when I click the little red "go to the first unread post" it jumps to post 61. So something is still wrong with the forum although there is a way around at least most of it I guess.
I had the same experience as above. But I made it here. I am so glad it's back up. Where's Philip? I need some real news to read! :cool:

It's Biden's fault
N5PNZ

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Good to have the forum back! Bugs and everything.....

TCHLF is a real island of sanity.
-Ruark

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Yaaaaaaaaaay, life is not the same without the forum!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I to, am happy to 'see' you guys again. After the election coverage, I gave up Fox News. With the Forum down, my only 'Water Cooler' time was face to face with family and once/week at the range. "The COVID" kind of limits face-to-face.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 3

Post by der Teufel »

But I still get errors on some of the subtopic areas.
I wanted to post something in Marketplace, but I get an error like this:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Can't find record in 'phpbb_users' [1032]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

I get this in a number of places, but not all.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

1wise1

Post by 1wise1 »

Charles et al.
I hope you realize by now, that this forum, and its founder (You) are owed a large debt of gratitude for the wisdom, foresight and never ending effort on everyone's behalf that will never be repaid.
Anybody with a lick of sense knows the history of TexasCHLforum and its place in the timeline of Concealed and then Open Carry in Texas.
By all rights nobody would fault you for quietly walking away OR doing it with a bang ... some of your jealous detractors would really like that.
For the rest of us, Thanks for staying around. Thanks for thinking beyond your own self interests; As a commissioned ex law enforcement officer you could be carrying a weapon almost anywhere you choose any hour of the day or night. But, in no small part, Texas CHL and its offshoots under your stewardship, helped kick open the doors for many of us who also value looking after ourselves; and those we treasure, using some of the tools we can employ.
Thanks for keepin on... keepin on. More of us than you may ever know, appreciate you efforts on our behalf. NOW, more than ever, we realize we are facing a wholesale assault on the rights we have so laboriously won.

John Criswell
1Wise1
Certified Glock Armorer
Combine ignorance, arrogance and low altitude, and the result is guaranteed to be spectacular.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”