FFL question

FFL's post your location, contact information and transfer fees

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Kythas
Posts in topic: 3

FFL question

Post by Kythas »

I'm thinking of applying for an FFL, but I've heard conflicting information about whether you need a place of business other than your home or not.

Some people say you can get an FFL and do business out of your house, as long as you have a proper safe to secure the guns, and some people say you must have a separate brick & mortar place of business.

I'm in The Colony. Anyone know for sure if I can use my home or do I need a separate place of business?
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

seamusTX

Re: FFL question

Post by seamusTX »

As far as BATFE is concerned, you can legally run an FFL business in your home. You just have to have defined business premises and hours.

As to whether you personally can do it, you have to check whether zoning and your deed restrictions allow it. Newer subdivisions typically do not.

State law prohibits cities and counties from specifically zoning FFLs out of business, but you might find that the neighbors or local media raise a stink. That happened here.

- Jim

Topic author
Kythas

Post by Kythas »

Since I live in an apartment, I guess I should check with them.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Almost no landlord will let you run a retail business in a residential apartment. Maybe if you have a personal relationship with the landlord ...

- Jim

Topic author
Kythas

Post by Kythas »

I really don't want to run a retail business. I just want to be able to have guns shipped to me for myself and my friends and not have to worry about finding an FFL to do it. That's why I don't want to have a separate place of business, because I really don't plan on conducting a business, at least not now.

However, a friend of mine and I are talking about opening up a firing range/gun shop in the north Frisco area and an FFL would definitely come in handy with that.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Kythas wrote:I just want to be able to have guns shipped to me for myself and my friends and not have to worry about finding an FFL to do it.
That's exactly what they don't want you to do. It used to be easy to get an FFL. They tightened up the rules and raised the fees during the Clinton administration, and eliminated about 90%.

- Jim

tarkus
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tarkus »

Do you really want to open your home to the ATF for inspections?

If you and your friend open a range I think it's better to use that as your FFL address.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's on the internet, thank a geek.

secure

Post by secure »

You MUST run a business and profit from the SALE of firearms to get an FFL. That is pretty much the verbage they use now.

pappy537

Post by pappy537 »

Some free informaton on applying for an FFL on Http://www.ehow.com/how_4608028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You don't need to pay for the info or kits.

texasag93

Post by texasag93 »

pappy537 wrote:Some free informaton on applying for an FFL on Http://www.ehow.com/how_4608028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You don't need to pay for the info or kits.

linky no worky.... :grumble :cryin

texasag
texasag93

gwise55

Post by gwise55 »

if you do open a range in the north frisco area, PLEASE let us know!!!!!! I live in little elm and it is hard to make the time to drive to the far away ranges.
I still do, but would love to have a place close by :fire :txflag:

Return to “FFL Holders”