FFL's post your location, contact information and transfer fees

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
absavino
Posts in topic: 1

FFL Fees

Post by absavino »

Hi,

I understand that the FFL will charge a set fee for handling the transfer but does the FFL in Texas also charge sales tax? It could make a difference in deciding if one should purchase from a vendor such a GunBroker.com. By the time one pays the shipping, the FFL fee, and whatever else(?), it might have been less to purchase one locally.

Thank you.

seamusTX

Re: FFL Fees

Post by seamusTX »

When you have a firearm shipped to a Texas FFL, the FFL does not collect Texas sales tax.

You have to pay sales tax on the transfer fee. So if the FFL charges $10, you will pay $10.63 to $10.83.

As I understand it, at this time, sellers collect sales tax only if they have a physical business presence in Texas or have reached an agreement with the Comptroller (like Amazon).

I have found better buys on GunBroker and AuctionArms than at gun shows, even including the transfer fees. However, face-to-face between private individuals is usually better.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Mike1951

Re: FFL Fees

Post by Mike1951 »

You do not pay Texas sales tax on the purchase. I have never paid sales tax on a transfer fee, but have seen sales tax mentioned on some listings from Gunbrokers' list of FFL's.

Just ask up front.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “FFL Holders”