Question for FFL holders: Initial ATF interview

FFL's post your location, contact information and transfer fees

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
OldCannon
Posts in topic: 13

Question for FFL holders: Initial ATF interview

Post by OldCannon »

So, I was notified this week that the regional AFT inspector will be scheduling my initial FFL interview soon. I was hoping that other FFLs could chime in on a few questions I have about the process. Specifically:

1) What does the inspector look for/not care about with the premises? In my case, my initial setup will be in my home in a front office. I have a large, dedicated safe, a security system, proper HOA permission, and an official LLC, including federal and state tax IDs.

2) What kind of questions should I generally AVOID asking? This may sound silly, but I'd rather not ask things that would impede my ability to get approval

3) I don't have business insurance set up yet, since my ability to create business transactions depends on getting the FFL. Will that be an issue with the inspector, or do they not care? Do any of you have recommendations for insurance companies? My homeowners insurance is with USAA, but I'm disinclined to give them additional business due to their anti-CHL positions. Do any of you recommend Joseph Chiarello (referred by the NSSF) or somebody else?

4) Legal issues: While I don't expect to have legal issues, I'd rather have a number to call in advance. Any recommendations here? Particularly in the Austin area?
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Question for FFL holders: Initial ATF interview

Post by mrvmax »

PM sent

Jrangel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jrangel »

lkd wrote:So, I was notified this week that the regional AFT inspector will be scheduling my initial FFL interview soon. I was hoping that other FFLs could chime in on a few questions I have about the process. Specifically:

1) What does the inspector look for/not care about with the premises? In my case, my initial setup will be in my home in a front office. I have a large, dedicated safe, a security system, proper HOA permission, and an official LLC, including federal and state tax IDs.

2) What kind of questions should I generally AVOID asking? This may sound silly, but I'd rather not ask things that would impede my ability to get approval

3) I don't have business insurance set up yet, since my ability to create business transactions depends on getting the FFL. Will that be an issue with the inspector, or do they not care? Do any of you have recommendations for insurance companies? My homeowners insurance is with USAA, but I'm disinclined to give them additional business due to their anti-CHL positions. Do any of you recommend Joseph Chiarello (referred by the NSSF) or somebody else?

4) Legal issues: While I don't expect to have legal issues, I'd rather have a number to call in advance. Any recommendations here? Particularly in the Austin area?
My experience:

1.- Have all paperwork ready, and photocopies to give to the agent, including your ID and CHL.
2.- Ask all the questions you have, didn't hurt me.
3.- They should not ask for insurance. We use NRA.
4.- Didn't have issues.

Recommendations:

Have handy if you can some Youth Handgun Safety Act Notice brochures, you may order them from ATF web page.
Have gun locks for sale or free in the premises of business and make sure the investigator notice them.

Good Luck :txflag:
"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack." - Yoda

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Thanks, Jrangel!

Also a HUGE shout of thanks to mrvmax, who patiently spent over an hour with me talking about what has worked (and not worked) for him over the course of his FFL business experience. He patiently answered my questions and offered LOADS of excellent advice. Can't thank you enough!

:patriot: :txflag: :clapping:

ryanr1299

Post by ryanr1299 »

Based on my experience:

1 - Regarding the premises, they asked about security and gun storage, but their role was mostly to inform me of the requirements, not audit my compliance. The meeting took place at my kitchen table, and I several times referred to my home office where guns are secured and paperwork stored, they did not ask to inspect it or ask many details, not even which room it was in. Based on what you stated, you're set.

2 - I was a bit apprehensive at first regarding questions, but ask everything you can think of. They are there to help get you going and ensure you are conducting yourself properly, they seemed to appreciate questions.

3 - As Jrangel said, they won't ask about insurance. They aren't concerned with the well being of your business, they are there to make sure you understand the legal requirements to dealing guns. No insurance, tax, or any other type issues should come up. You will of course be required to comply with all laws (local, state, and otherwise), and they will inform you of this, but will pretty much stick to the business of dealing firearms.

4 - I can't imagine you will have any legal issues come up. If your LLC is registered and everything is good to go there, you should be fine. Issuing the license to a proper individual/registered business at a particular address is the only hurdle at this point in the game...they will inform you of all the other legal requirements during the interview, and it is your responsibility to comply with them.

Overall I was very impressed with the experience. The ATF was eager to help me understand the process, and very interested in getting me set up. Based on what you've said, I wouldn't worry one little bit. Even if you have overlooked something, you have clearly done your research, prepared, and have demonstrated a vested interest in doing it right. I think that matters to them more than overlooking one or two details, because they can set you straight on anything you've missed. Sounds like you got it, good luck!

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Thanks, ryan!

And you're dead-on, they're much more concerned about state and local compliance. Interestingly, my AFT Inspector asked me about my county business name filing, which I realized I had NOT done (yikes! :shock: ). I had all my bases covered with state, city, and my HOA though. So she actually helped me make sure my business stuff was all set for here in Travis Co. :clapping:

She'll be here late next week, and I'll post a followup on how things went!

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

So, just to follow up on my promise:

The ATF Inspector left here about 30 minutes ago. I think she was very impressed with my office setup and how well-versed I was with ATF regulations already. I gave her a folder with photocopies of all sorts of stuff (JRangel's suggestion) and she loved that! The whole interview process took a little over 2 hours, including good casual chit-chat time. I was a very fun experience, actually. I wasn't nervous at all.

She DID ask if I had a centrally monitored security system, and was pleased when I showed her the redundant systems (centrally-monitored security plus separately monitored video camera network). Originally I wasn't going to bother with a central system, but I changed my mind a couple weeks ago. Good thing I did.

Now the waiting game begins - she signs off, her supervisor signs off, it goes to ATF HQ, then they sign off and my shiny new FFL license comes to me in 4-6 weeks. Woohoo! :woohoo

So, The Old Cannon Armory is just a few weeks from official existence!
($10 transfers for TexasCHLForum members holding a CHL too :thumbs2: )

PBratton
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PBratton »

lkd wrote:So, just to follow up on my promise:

The ATF Inspector left here about 30 minutes ago. I think she was very impressed with my office setup and how well-versed I was with ATF regulations already. I gave her a folder with photocopies of all sorts of stuff (JRangel's suggestion) and she loved that! The whole interview process took a little over 2 hours, including good casual chit-chat time. I was a very fun experience, actually. I wasn't nervous at all.

She DID ask if I had a centrally monitored security system, and was pleased when I showed her the redundant systems (centrally-monitored security plus separately monitored video camera network). Originally I wasn't going to bother with a central system, but I changed my mind a couple weeks ago. Good thing I did.

Now the waiting game begins - she signs off, her supervisor signs off, it goes to ATF HQ, then they sign off and my shiny new FFL license comes to me in 4-6 weeks. Woohoo! :woohoo

So, The Old Cannon Armory is just a few weeks from official existence!
($10 transfers for TexasCHLForum members holding a CHL too :thumbs2: )

Congrats!

Now the hard part begins... Waiting. Check that mailbox often!

So, as soon as you get the FFL in the mail, go to the NICS site and fill out the forms to get an account. http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/enroll

I try to do all of mine electronically, it seems much faster.

Good Luck, sounds like you are off to a great start.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Jrangel

Post by Jrangel »

Congrats!!

Glad the photocopies worked :cool:

Now be patient, mine took 8 weeks.

Good luck.

JR
"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack." - Yoda

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Jrangel wrote: Now be patient, mine took 8 weeks.

Good luck.

JR
I sure hope you don't hate me, JR, but.... guess what arrived in my mail today, precisely two weeks after the inspector left my house? :woohoo

Frankly, I'm stunned it got here so fast, but I ain't complaining!

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mrvmax »

OldCannon wrote:

Good luck.

JR
I sure hope you don't hate me, JR, but.... guess what arrived in my mail today, precisely two weeks after the inspector left my house? :woohoo

You are one lucky person.

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

mrvmax wrote:
OldCannon wrote:

Good luck.

JR

You are one lucky person.
Luck has always been elusive to me, so perhaps I'm overdue :lol: :) One thing that surprised me is how fast I've been able to get signed up as a reseller for RSR, Davidsons, Sports South, Brownells, etc. Turnaround on all of them has been less than 24 hours. On Tuesday, I was nobody. Today, I now have an "inventory" of thousands of guns, parts, and reloading equipment :clapping: (Now to get it all showing up on my website)

sneedb82
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sneedb82 »

Awesome news. I've got the paperwork printed, double-sided... waiting to get my appt with the County Sheriff since they're having some issues (long story), and fingerprints done.

Very anxious.

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

sneedb82 wrote:Awesome news. I've got the paperwork printed, double-sided... waiting to get my appt with the County Sheriff since they're having some issues (long story), and fingerprints done.

Very anxious.
Out of curiosity, why do you need an appt with the sheriff? I just filled out the form and sent my copy to him. The 5310 form section that goes to the chief LEO says, "This form provides notification of a person's intent to apply for a Federal firearms license. It requires no action on your part." Does your county require sheriff approval be done in-person?

sneedb82
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sneedb82 »

Cannon: No, the county requires me to have an appt for fingerprints... stupid rule, but they're the only ones I can get to that do not do them electronically. Weird!

Return to “FFL Holders”