Laser Site?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
sweetmelissa
Posts in topic: 6

Laser Site?

Post by sweetmelissa »

In your opinion, should I buy a laser site for my sig or just practice, practice, practice?

John Galt
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Laser Site?

Post by John Galt »

My personal opinion is that I don't want to have to hit a button to turn on the laser or worry about batteries. I believe in regular practice plus I use truglo sights.
Just my 2 cents.

winters
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by winters »

I have seen people using those laser sights at gun ranges. They still cant hit where they aimed for. I also find them to be highly annoying at the range. Also lasers dont correct for bullet drop and wind issues. Not that its a big deal when your aiming for something close to you.

Now my friend at work does use an IR laser to light up the area infront of him for his night vision stuff. But he is pig hunting out in the woods.

Topic author
sweetmelissa

Post by sweetmelissa »

winters wrote:But he is pig hunting out in the woods.
I don't see me doing any of that....

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

I have a laser on mine and never use it.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

sweetmelissa wrote:In your opinion, should I buy a laser site for my sig or just practice, practice, practice?
My experience suggests the laser sight won't help if your grip and trigger control is not right.

I can't post a link from my iPad but Google "dry fire secrets of the pros" by Bruce Gray. I was regularly shooting right and down. After going to a couple of Bruce Gray Practical Fundamental weekends, some tips from my SEAL buddies and lots of dry firing practice, I finally corrected that. Part of it was grip, part was using the trigger finger properly. I'm not ready to run away from home and join SAS quite or be an IDPA Master, but I am much improved. I just switched pistols to new VP9s and had to adjust my trigger control to get right.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

Lasers can be great training tools for dry fire practice. Beyond that... I'm not really a fan. Never rely on electronics, that's why every firearm I have with an optic also has a backup.

In bright daylight, a laser can be hard to pick up anyway. At night, if it hits the right kind of surface, it can be extremely bright and wreck your night vision.

Most people I see using them end up chasing the dot, whereas if they were just using their sights they'd be on target much more quickly.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

I really do not see much use for it in a carry pistol. If for some reason you have to draw your firearm, the last thing you need to do is be messing with controls on your pistol. You already have to deal with taking off the safety if you have one and if you use it. For training with you pistols, I think using your sights is a better option. That being said, I own a Ruger 10/22 lasermax.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

I mentioned, but did not stress, in my prior post, how valuable it is to get training from someone who knows what they are doing. Like golf, you can just go out, pay your green fees and terrorize the links as you feel like, or you can take some lessons, learn about grip, stance, swing, etc. Similarly, an instructor who knows how to shoot can adjust your stance, grip, trigger control, show you drills to refine your technique and accuracy in various situations.

Back to dry firing..... Bruce Gray is fond of saying "shooting is dry firing with noise."
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

If you want to be good with your iron sights, practice. Here's an idea: if you want to be good with a laser, practice. What a concept! Who knew? :shock:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I have Crimson Trace lasergrips on a couple of my pistols. I like them, but you have to understand what they are and what they are not.

They are a supplemental sighting system for those times when you can't (for whatever reason) bring the pistol up to eye level to use the regular sights. In a life-or-death situation, your eyes are going to naturally focus on the threat, right where that laser dot should be shining.

They are NOT a cure-all for your shooting problems. If you can use the sights, you should ignore the laser dot. If your laser is properly aimed, the dot should be hidden by your sights anyway. As others have noted, that dot will not be rock-steady as Hollywood would have you believe. It will be jumping around all over the target. Trying to use it for normal shooting will be an exercise in extreme frustration.

Crimson Trace lasers have what they call "instinctive activation". The button is located on the pistol's front strap, under the middle finger. When you acquire a firing grip, your finger will naturally depress the button and turn on the laser - no extra effort or control to worry about.

One of my pistols has had lasergrips on it for about six years, with the original batteries. The laser is just as bright today as it was when I first installed the grips.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Pawpaw wrote:I have Crimson Trace lasergrips on a couple of my pistols. I like them, but you have to understand what they are and what they are not.

They are a supplemental sighting system for those times when you can't (for whatever reason) bring the pistol up to eye level to use the regular sights. In a life-or-death situation, your eyes are going to naturally focus on the threat, right where that laser dot should be shining.

They are NOT a cure-all for your shooting problems. If you can use the sights, you should ignore the laser dot. If your laser is properly aimed, the dot should be hidden by your sights anyway. As others have noted, that dot will not be rock-steady as Hollywood would have you believe. It will be jumping around all over the target. Trying to use it for normal shooting will be an exercise in extreme frustration.

Crimson Trace lasers have what they call "instinctive activation". The button is located on the pistol's front strap, under the middle finger. When you acquire a firing grip, your finger will naturally depress the button and turn on the laser - no extra effort or control to worry about.

One of my pistols has had lasergrips on it for about six years, with the original batteries. The laser is just as bright today as it was when I first installed the grips.
Bazinga!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

MadMonkey wrote:Lasers can be great training tools for dry fire practice. Beyond that... I'm not really a fan.
That is an excellent idea.

A couple years ago I bought a new mountable light that also had a laser for only $90. I found myself focusing more on the dot than the target. I didn't not have a shot timer then. I do now and since this has come up again I'll try and remember to take both to the range the next time and see which sighting method I can get the first shot on target with quicker. And then which one I can get two and three shots of quicker with. That would be interesting to see.

I don't really like the laser, though, and have practiced quite a bit with just iron sights.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Both.
I agree with Pawpaw. What he said.
I have a laser on my carry gun - I also have tritium night sights and practice without the laser.
Why both? Because the way my luck runs the laser batteries will be dead when I really need them.
I like the green laser because it can be seen in daylight.
You must be competent with your gun without any electronic aid.
That having been said, I want any and every advantage in case I need to use my weapon in defense of my life.
In a stress situation, that bright green dot might just give me the edge.

But you still must practice.

Topic author
sweetmelissa

Post by sweetmelissa »

Chemist45 wrote:Both.
I agree with Pawpaw. What he said.
I have a laser on my carry gun - I also have tritium night sights and practice without the laser.
Why both? Because the way my luck runs the laser batteries will be dead when I really need them.
I like the green laser because it can be seen in daylight.
You must be competent with your gun without any electronic aid.
That having been said, I want any and every advantage in case I need to use my weapon in defense of my life.
In a stress situation, that bright green dot might just give me the edge.

But you still must practice.
Okay, good advice. I'm much better with a smaller gun, but I bought a Sig Sauer P250 for my CHL class. I passed the shooting portion having never shot that particular gun before, though. I will make a conscious effort to practice more, but going to the gun range alone is a little bit intimidating.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”