allisji
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Guy in undies confronts intruder...

Post by allisji »

Mike S wrote:
allisji wrote:
Mike S wrote:
allisji wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:That's a neighbor of mine, nice guy. Glad it worked out for him.
As I read it I was thinking about the garage door intruder story that you posted a while back. Noticed that this guy happened to be in the Rice Military area and that the BG was banging on the garage door when caught.

One could assume that he was trying to gain entry into the garage, and possibly into the home. It sounds like the homeowner would have been justified in the use of lethal force. At best this guy was committing criminal mischief on his property at night.
I'd disagree on this, at least from what's been disclosed so far. The security camera video only showed the drunk guy banging his fist on the garage door a couple times; I find it unlikely that would qualify as "unlawfully with force entering, or attempting to enter unlawfully with force" an "occupied dwelling". This may have met the presumption of reasonableness in the Texas Penal Code if he had been attempting to kick in the front door or otherwise gain entry, but I seriously doubt banging on the garage door a couple of times would.

And for Criminal Mischief, some monetary damage must be made. Unless there's damage to the property (garage door or mail box hanging on the wall), it would likely be a stretch to find the justification under "to prevent Criminal Mischief at night". The end of the news report stated that Federal charges wouldn't be sought for mail tampering since he rummaged through it without taking anything, & there was no damage to the mail box.

I'm not a lawyer, but there's quite a few on this forum who are or who have a solid foundation for the law. I'll defer to them if there's something i missed.
That's interesting. So if lethal force wasn't justified then neither is the Threat of Lethal Force, right?
TPC 9.04, Threats as Justifiable Force, only requires that 'force' be justified; therefore I don't see a problem with the homeowner in this case showing his firearm in order to "cause apprehension that he would use deadly force if needed". Force is justified in order to prevent or eject a trespasser (force, NOT deadly force), and I believe that's what the news said the drunk/drugged guy would be charged with.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me. I didn't recognize that the Threat of Lethal Force was justified if the use of Force was justified. I thought that the Threat of Lethal Force was only justified is Lethal Force was justified.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

AndyC wrote:I need new glasses - I read this as "Guy in undies comforts intruder" and went "wait, wut??"
:smilelol5: :smilelol5: "rlol" "rlol"
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

My Momma always telling me to make sure I had on good underwear when I go out makes much more sense now. "rlol"
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

TangoX-ray

Post by TangoX-ray »

twomillenium wrote:My Momma always telling me to make sure I had on good underwear when I go out makes much more sense now. "rlol"
She always swore it would be for the paramedics though! :rolll
Native Texan :txflag: Philippians 2:3-4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archiloches (650 BC)

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”