Garrison Trigger Block

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
SMRoot
Posts in topic: 9

Garrison Trigger Block

Post by SMRoot »

I'm still waiting for my LTC and in the meantime, I'm trying to get comfortable with how I'm going to carry. The only carry gun I have at the moment is a Kahr CM9. Since it doesn't have a safety, I was thinking about using one of the Garrison Trigger Blocks while pocket carrying. It would make me feel better to have some form of safety if I'm sitting at a restaurant across from my wife and daughter since the muzzle would be pointing at them. But, would it be easy enough to pop it out in a stressful situation? Does it stay in place as promised? What are your thoughts?

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Garrison Trigger Block

Post by Lynyrd »

I'm not trying to offend, but please, PLEASE don't ever carry a handgun that isn't secured in a properly designed holster. Then you won't have to worry about a negligent discharge while it is on your person! There are many, many styles and types to choose from. Get one that works for you.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
SMRoot

Post by SMRoot »

Lynyrd wrote:I'm not trying to offend, but please, PLEASE don't ever carry a handgun that isn't secured in a properly designed holster. Then you won't have to worry about a negligent discharge while it is on your person! There are many, many styles and types to choose from. Get one that works for you.
:iagree: I didn't mean to imply that I would just throw it in my pocket. I understand that that would be much less safe than a properly holstered weapon. I have a Desantis pocket holster for it, but I'd still feel better with an extra layer of protection. I've thought about grabbing a pj holster kydex pocket holster, which might alleviate some of my concerns.

android

Post by android »

SMRoot wrote: :iagree: I didn't mean to imply that I would just throw it in my pocket. I understand that that would be much less safe than a properly holstered weapon. I have a Desantis pocket holster for it, but I'd still feel better with an extra layer of protection. I've thought about grabbing a pj holster kydex pocket holster, which might alleviate some of my concerns.
Are you talking about the Pocket Shot that allows pulling the trigger while the gun is still holstered?
That is NOT a safe holster. Adding plastic bits that you then must fuss with only make the situation LESS safe.

A safe holster fully covers the trigger and the gun must be removed from the holster to pull the trigger.

That is all you need, the Kahr has a passive striker pin block. Leave it in the holster, don't touch it or fuss with it.
Last edited by android on Thu May 26, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

SMRoot wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:I'm not trying to offend, but please, PLEASE don't ever carry a handgun that isn't secured in a properly designed holster. Then you won't have to worry about a negligent discharge while it is on your person! There are many, many styles and types to choose from. Get one that works for you.
:iagree: I didn't mean to imply that I would just throw it in my pocket. I understand that that would be much less safe than a properly holstered weapon. I have a Desantis pocket holster for it, but I'd still feel better with an extra layer of protection. I've thought about grabbing a pj holster kydex pocket holster, which might alleviate some of my concerns.

I can't advocate anything that keeps the gun from being ready to use if needed. I have no experience with the trigger block, but the Khar CM9, at least the one I fired, has along heavy trigger pull, and should present no issues with AD if carried in a holster. I know that with pocket carry, the muzzle does point in a direction you may not desire, while seated, but if it is secured in a pocket holster with the trigger covered, it should not be an issue. Any extra manipulations you have to employ to get the gun to ready position could put you in more danger than the thought of a holstered gun pointing at someone. This is especially true if you haven't practiced drawing, removing the trigger block, and firing over and over, because in a stressful situation you could be standing there squeezing the trigger and your mind won't recognize the reason for the gun not firing, costing precious seconds you may not have. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

If pocket carry makes you uneasy, have you considered wearing it on a belt holster ?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

I had never heard of the Garrison Grip Trigger Block, so I Googled & checked it out on YouTube. I'd echo Lynrd in that a holster is the only way to go (& I see from your reply that's your intent already); whether that's pocket carry, IWB/OWB, or however else is entirely up to you, your wardrobe, & whatever activities you have planned for the day. As long as it's a sturdy holster that protects/covers the entire trigger guard AND keeps the pistol where you want it, I'd be comfortable carrying it (I prefer an IWB holster, but to each their own). I'd also recommend staying away from the novelty (or dare I say gimmicky) items like the Garrison Shark & their Trigger Block thing. Instead, repurpose that $12 for a box of ammo :lol::

Topic author
SMRoot

Post by SMRoot »

android wrote:
SMRoot wrote: :iagree: I didn't mean to imply that I would just throw it in my pocket. I understand that that would be much less safe than a properly holstered weapon. I have a Desantis pocket holster for it, but I'd still feel better with an extra layer of protection. I've thought about grabbing a pj holster kydex pocket holster, which might alleviate some of my concerns.
Are you talking about the Pocket Shot that allows pulling the trigger while the gun is still holstered?
That is NOT a safe holster. Adding plastic bits that you then must fuss with only make the situation LESS safe.

A safe holster fully covers the trigger and the gun must be removed from the holster to pull the trigger.

That is all you need, the Kahr has a passive striker pin block. Leave it in the holster, don't touch it or fuss with it.
Oh, heck no! Those things are crazy. I mean...what's the point? Nope. I have a Desantis Superfly. It's just that the gun sits in there but there's really no retention. Can it move up and down throughout the day so that some part of the holster could catch in the trigger guard? I don't know, and that's why I wanted an extra level of protection.

Topic author
SMRoot

Post by SMRoot »

Pariah3j wrote:If pocket carry makes you uneasy, have you considered wearing it on a belt holster ?
I kind of wanted to have both options. I wear tucked in clothes at work and can't carry there so I was thinking that pocket carry would be the easiest way to disarm/arm before and after work. I am thinking about getting the Little Foxx holster for IWB.

Topic author
SMRoot

Post by SMRoot »

Mike S wrote:I had never heard of the Garrison Grip Trigger Block, so I Googled & checked it out on YouTube. I'd echo Lynrd in that a holster is the only way to go (& I see from your reply that's your intent already); whether that's pocket carry, IWB/OWB, or however else is entirely up to you, your wardrobe, & whatever activities you have planned for the day. As long as it's a sturdy holster that protects/covers the entire trigger guard AND keeps the pistol where you want it, I'd be comfortable carrying it (I prefer an IWB holster, but to each their own). I'd also recommend staying away from the novelty (or dare I say gimmicky) items like the Garrison Shark & their Trigger Block thing. Instead, repurpose that $12 for a box of ammo :lol::
Thanks. I may end up getting both a Little Foxx for IWB and a PJ kydex pocket holster. I think the Desantis is too loose fitting for my comfort. Plus, it's like stuffing a little pillow in your pocket.

Wag2323
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Wag2323 »

I carry a CW9 IWB. Get a good fitting holster and you won't need to worry about something getting in the trigger guard. With the kahr trigger pull I feel like you have to be very intentional in the pull to have it go off. Mine has no slack in the trigger.

Topic author
SMRoot

Post by SMRoot »

Wag2323 wrote:I carry a CW9 IWB. Get a good fitting holster and you won't need to worry about something getting in the trigger guard. With the kahr trigger pull I feel like you have to be very intentional in the pull to have it go off. Mine has no slack in the trigger.
Which holster do you use, and how do you like it?

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

If you want a safe pocket holster that won't move around and won't come out with the gun, take a look at the one I use: FIST Pocket Holster.

The Mika pocket holster is another well known solid design, but I don't have any personal experience with that one.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

SMRoot wrote: Which holster do you use, and how do you like it?
I have a alien gear IWB that is pretty comfortable but doesn't go on and off that quickly. I wouldn't think you would need something that big for a CM9 I originally bought this to carry my Springfield XD IWB if I wanted to.

I also have a Cook's kydex IWB holster with a single clip. You can't tuck in your shirt with it but it goes on and off easy without removing the gun from it.

When the gun is loaded it stays in the kydex holster all the time except for when I move it to the alien gear when I am carrying it that way. The pictures are not backwards, I am. (Lefty)

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

I use a onyour6design iwb holster.
clips on and off quickly, yet very secure.
Use it to carry a 9 mm Shield.
www.onyour6design.com
10% off this weekend, use code MD2016.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”