Glock: Gen 4 17M/19M or Gen 5?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 2

Glock: Gen 4 17M/19M or Gen 5?

Post by LSUTiger »

For all the Glock fan boys it has been rumored that Glock 17M info has been released and Changes are:

1. New, "tougher" finish
2. Different rifling
3. Longer RSA
4. Reinforced front RSA notch
5. Smoother trigger (similar to G42/G43)
6. Flared magwell
7. Removed finger grooves
8. Safety plunger is oblong/rectangular instead of round
9. Ambi slide release
10. Magazine well cut out
11. Magazines have a slightly extended front lip.

And look for Gen 5 Glocks in January 2017

True Gen 5's or Revised Gen 4's for FBI gun???? FBI guns are gen 4 models 17M and 19M????
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Topic author
LSUTiger

Re: Glock: Gen 4 17M/19M or Gen 5?

Post by LSUTiger »

Breaking: Photo Of The New FBI Glock 17M Leaked

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... 7m-leaked/
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

TEX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TEX »

Heard from a insider at the factory in Austria. The new Gen 5 will have most if not all of the following.

Conventional rifling
Smooth trigger
No thumb rest
Slide 1/8-inch thinner
Beveled nose
Grip safety
Grip safety interior switch that can be used to activate light or laser
No finger grooves
Hole in frame for optional thumb safety
Mag safety that can be turned off or on with tool
Same interchangeable back straps like Gen 4
Grove cut down inside middle of trigger guard to prevent pinching
Detachable front rail
Slide cut for optics or regular sights
Double extractors (once slide is 3/8 inch back, cam releases inside extractor) decreases failures to extract
Hook on front of trigger guard is gone
Extremely aggressive grip surface that look like burlap pattern
Divot near mag release to better access low mounted mag release
Bottom front corner of mag release rounded off
Mags well will have adjustable leaf that will allow you to make mags drop free or not drop free (mag will disengage but drop no further than 1 inch of set for non drop free - from there it has to be pulled out against adjustable friction.

BTW - I AM JUST KIDDING. I have no earthly idea what a Gen 5 might have. Which of the above would you like to see
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

Will Beararms

Post by Will Beararms »

Give it a while as in a year or two. The first department that took delivery on the 17M, the Indianapolis Metro PD, is sending theirs back.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... epartment/

I've been shooting Glocks since 1992 and carry one everyday but with the advent of the Gen. 4 series they have a habit of putting un-vetted guns on the market. What would break them is for IMPD to do what TX DPS did with the M&P9's-----send them all back and cancel the order. Until a major client does this, they will continue this type of behavior.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

We bought our first Glock, a Gen3 19, when the Gen3s had been on the market for a long time already. And we bought the four Gen4 pistols we have (a G17, a G19, and two G43s) five or six years after all the Gen4 models had hit the market. I want a G26, but I can wait until well after the Gen5 guns are out, and pick up a Gen4 at a reduced rate. The reasons I had postponed buying any Glocks for myself [the first G19 is my wife's] are (a) I didn't like the grip size on the Gen3 guns, and (b) being left-handed, I wanted an ambidextrous magazine release. The Gen4 guns fixed both problems for me.

The bottom line is that the guns are generally reliable up through Gen4 now. I like some of the new ideas incorporated into the Gen5 guns, but they don't matter enough to me to invest in replacing the Glocks I already own.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Will Beararms

Post by Will Beararms »

I have a Gen. 4 Glock 22 that I use without the back strap sleeve. It fits me better than any handgun I've ever owned in 24 years of shooting. I shoot it better than my M&P9. The thing conceals amazingly well for its size under an untucked shirt. Mine's a 2011 model with the frying pan finish and it's been flawless through 2,500 to 3,000 rounds. I have a Gen. 3 23 that I bought used. It still had the copper anti-seize on the inside of the slide rails. I have abused it through every day carry and it's been very dependable. It's scratched up and the rear site is dinged up but it works. The high points are finish-less but to me that adds character. It's been covered in perspiration and rained on numerous times but with an occasional MPro7 wipe down, it has not rusted. Glock will get the the new models right and in the meantime as you said, the Generations 3 and 4 are a safe bet. They just work. That's all I can tell you.

techenigma
Posts in topic: 1

Post by techenigma »

I never really get into the new generation stuff. Still run Gen 3s. They fit my hand better and I like to let others do the working out of the bugs in newer stuff.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Will Beararms wrote:I have a Gen. 4 Glock 22 that I use without the back strap sleeve. It fits me better than any handgun I've ever owned in 24 years of shooting.
The main reason I mounted the "beavertail" backstrap on my 17 and 19 is that I have somewhat fleshy hands, and I have been bitten before by the slide on my wife's Gen3 19. The fit in my hand without the beavertail is good, but it still leaves the web of my hand a little bit vulnerable to slide bite.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”