Work Out Carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67

Work Out Carry

Postby cmgee67 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Hey guys I have a problem I have been dealing with for a while that's having my gun with me when going to the gym to work out. I don't have anyway to carry it when I work out so I leave it in my lock box in the truck. At my previous gym you could only get inside by having a pass key otherwise be doors stayed locked so I wasn't as worried by not having it with me but at my new gym they doors are unlocked and it's in a new part of town so I am not sure really what to do. I don't know if off body carry is a good idea because somebody can just come up and grab my bag while I'm running or lifting weights and take off. I carry Shield 45 so it small enough and light enough to maybe belly band it but I'm not sure how comfortable that would be especially while sweating. Any suggestions ?
I Am Freedoms Safest Place :txflag:

aaangel

Re: Work Out Carry

Postby aaangel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:50 pm

i have the old version and i use it for mountain biking, thinking of getting this one cause mine is worn out
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Sport Coach

Postby Sport Coach » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:56 pm

I've thought this one through for years and unfortunately have no good conclusions for you. The only/best way I've figured it is to wear a fanny pack to absolutely ensure a bag does not get stolen (you should be concentrating on safely challenging yourself rather than paying attention to your bag). You look like a wimp and likely these days people would have a good guess at what's in the bag. I also sweat quite a bit so ruining the pistol is a reality. I ultimately decided to roll the dice and leave the gun in the car or locked locker. As far as running/biking with concealed carry you can try Hill People Gear kit bags but sweating continues to be a problem.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

AJSully421

Postby AJSully421 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Lcp with a pocket clip.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

dawgfishboy

Postby dawgfishboy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:35 pm

I've been carrying a p380 in a Cook's holster with a ulticlip at the gym for a couple of years now. Worn next to skin and clip it to both underwear and gym shorts for a little more support. Also wear it for mountain biking as well as a little road riding...Even taken a few painful tumbles without any issues. Not sure that would work for your heavier shield though.
https://www.cooksholsters.com/ulticlip-iwb-holster/

jb2012

Postby jb2012 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:44 am

Been looking for a solution myself, and I've come up blank. I refuse to use a "belly band", I refuse to wear a fanny pack, I'm not lugging a backpack around the gym, and I obviously can't put a belt holster on gym shorts. A shoulder rig underneath a sweatshirt could work, but I don't want to wear a sweatshirt everytime I hit the gym. I've just decided if something happens at the gym, it's just my time. Not to mention, I have zero SA at the gym, as I usually have my headphones as loud as they will go and I usually stick to myself.

The Annoyed Man

Postby The Annoyed Man » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:50 am

My solution is to not work out. :mrgreen:

.......mostly because I'm very limited in what I actually can do. (My range of motion in my spine is pretty limited now.) So I go for walks instead, and when I walk, I usually carry one of my smaller guns - usually a G43, but if I'm walking at night, a G26. I usually carry the gun in a fanny pack because (A) I don't care what anyone else thinks they know; and (B) it's an open carry state, and (C) see (A) & (B).
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

Abraham

Postby Abraham » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:03 am

Simple: W.O. at home.

Steamboat

Postby Steamboat » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am

I have an IWB (Uncle Mike's) for my XDS and works ok for me at the gym. I don't do a the running thing on treadmills so I'm not worried about it falling out.
I've noticed a couple of guys that occasionally wear a fanny pack. Pretty sure they have their weapon with them when they do.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

Bitter Clinger

Postby Bitter Clinger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:55 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:My solution is to not work out. :mrgreen:

.......mostly because I'm very limited in what I actually can do. (My range of motion in my spine is pretty limited now.) So I go for walks instead, and when I walk, I usually carry one of my smaller guns - usually a G43, but if I'm walking at night, a G26. I usually carry the gun in a fanny pack because (A) I don't care what anyone else thinks they know; and (B) it's an open carry state, and (C) see (A) & (B).

Ditto for me. and here's a bonus... Since I have stopped working out, I do have a lot fewer aches and pains :cheers2:
"You may all go to Chicago, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

parabelum

Postby parabelum » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:03 pm

Bitter Clinger wrote:

Ditto for me. and here's a bonus... Since I have stopped working out, I do have a lot fewer aches and pains :cheers2:

:iagree:

"I get my exercise walking to the funerals of my more athletic friends”

Mark Twain
III%

MadMonkey

Postby MadMonkey » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:54 am

Depending on the exercises being done it might not be perfect, but for running I use a Hill People Gear recon kit bag with a stabilizer strap. It's very comfortable and holds both my G19 and my wallet (and phone if needed).

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products ... roductID/5

They make very good quality stuff.
"Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God" - Benjamin Franklin

The Annoyed Man

Postby The Annoyed Man » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:47 pm

MadMonkey wrote:Depending on the exercises being done it might not be perfect, but for running I use a Hill People Gear recon kit bag with a stabilizer strap. It's very comfortable and holds both my G19 and my wallet (and phone if needed).

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products ... roductID/5

They make very good quality stuff.

OK, now I really LIKE that thing. I'ma hafta buy one. :thumbs2: That strikes me as a lot more comfortable than a fannypack.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

bblhd672

Postby bblhd672 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 pm

:iagree: But especially (A).
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”