SIG P320 Compact or Subcompact

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 2

SIG P320 Compact or Subcompact

Post by TexasTornado »

So my favorite gun shop EVER, Guns 4 Gals finally got a P320 in with the optional manual safety. Should I jump at it in the compact size or hold out for the subcompact?

It is meant to replace my P238 as my everyday CC.

The P238 will be relegated to purse carry with dresses/skirts and the P226 will remain my home and OC weapon.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SIG P320 Compact or Subcompact

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Regardless of the make and model handgun, go with the largest handgun you will carry concealed on a regular basis. If you can and will carry the compact, get it. If it will be left at home often, then get the sub-compact. Make the P238 your last choice.

You didn't mention it, but you may want to research and consider the Compact P320 RX.

Chas.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

The compact also gets you a rail, I think. The overall size of the guns may not be that much different. The subcompact is smaller, but side by side, if I remember correctly, the difference is not enormous.

Whichever way you go, the thumb safety is probably a really good idea. I have a P320 compact I'm not carrying because there is no safety. Safetyless Kahr PM9, no problem, safetyless P250, no problem - but that short P320 trigger requires care on holstering. I'm not saying I'm a threat to myself, I can safely carry the non-safety P320, it just requires different diligence than other guns.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I agree with the "...go with the largest handgun you will carry concealed on a regular basis..." part from above.

As far as safety, I treat each gun exactly the same. Regardless whether you have thumb safety, grip safety etc., the only safety I trust is the proper and consistent placement of my trigger finger, and that comes with practice...practice...practice...

Holster/re-holster empty as often as you can. Multiple times daily. Make it a habit to rely only on your booger hook of the bang switch safety method. Don't get sloppy.

As for rails on a carry gun, I personally prefer no rail on my carry gun.

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

Wife has the P320 RX full size. No safety at all. Good for fun target shooter but in my mind not a carry gun. Those that claim you don't need any safety except your brain and finger control assume that both always work correctly. They don't. Military P320 has a safety. Argue what you want but I want a safety on every firearm I own. I may or may not use it but I want it.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

No offense, but if you can't get your brain and finger calibrated to work together always when you carry, you should probably not carry then. Kind of a biggie in my book.

Again, no offense.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

It's not always a finger that pulls the trigger.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Safety, no safety, a safety is a reasonable thing, a safety is actually a danger, this is a question not to be answered in modern times.

But here, I think, is the rational middle ground.

Would you carry a 1911 in condition zero? Cocked but not locked and chambered? Of course not. That wonderful trigger isn't enough of a margin.

How about a loaded snubby .38? Of course, not an issue.

Somewhere in the middle ground is where no safety becomes a liability, your judgement where.

For me, the P320 is borderline. I carried my P320SC for months. I knew it was borderline "safe" but I really trust myself not to do stupid things. I don't trust myself not to make mistakes, but with that awareness I carried safely.

A long throw DAO is a better choice for me. I'd say I am more relaxed about that kind of gun for carry, but "relaxed" isn't a word I use around firearms.

I found the P250 a wonderful option. The first shot I took with it was just snapped off to feel out the gun. Twelve yards, hit very nearly dead center on the paper plate I'd set up for a target.

dragun

Post by dragun »

Get the compact and then buy and subcompact grip module. That way you'll have the option of better concealment with the sc grip module but also have the compact option as well. The compact will provide you with better options from the modularity standpoint.

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

parabelum wrote:No offense, but if you can't get your brain and finger calibrated to work together always when you carry, you should probably not carry then. Kind of a biggie in my book.

Again, no offense.
No offense taken. If you believe that your brain and finger ALWAYS work correctly good for you. I have been shaving for 60 years but still sometimes nick myself. Even using a safety razor. AndyC has a post about an add on for a 1911. Things happen, triggers get caught in clothing, people shoot themselves re-holstering. I personally have never had a mishap with a firearm but I prefer having a safety on a firearm. How many 1911's have you seen without one? My wife's Sig p320RX is a great gun but it does not have a trigger safety or a manual safety. She loves to shoot it but does not carry it. Wouldn't want to dig it out of a purse.

flechero

Post by flechero »

dragun wrote:Get the compact and then buy and subcompact grip module. That way you'll have the option of better concealment with the sc grip module but also have the compact option as well. The compact will provide you with better options from the modularity standpoint.
Good suggestion... For about $45 and a couple mags, you can have both.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

:iagree:
Liberty wrote:It's not always a finger that pulls the trigger.
It does not bother me to not have a safety on mine as I am always very cautious holstering however for my wife, especially if she is purse carrying. Not all of her purses, and there are many, have a gun pocket and no telling what a trigger could get hung on
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

I have a P238 and just bought a P320 subcompact to replace it as my EDC.

The subcompact grip length is roughly the same as the P238 with a 6rd mag in it but it obviously holds 12.

I like small guns and the 320 SC is about as large as I would personally go.

You can buy a grip module from Sig with the rail if you want a light/laser option for it. The subcompact also doesn't come equipped with the newer frame style and slide lock. You can get the slide lock separate if you tend to depress it while firing.

I love mine and am glad I got this size but as others have noted, you should get what is comfortable for you that you will carry.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

One of my EDC pistols in rotation is a SIG P320 Subcompact, which I dearly love. I prefer Kydex IWB and OWB holsters from Vedder Holsters. I am unusually careful to avoid snagging things like shirttails in the trigger guard, and take great care to avoid anything else that could snag the trigger. I usually carry a 15-rd mag with the mag spacer (adds about 1/2 inch to grip length), but use my standard 12-rd mags as backups. My other EDC in rotation is a new Glock 43 (actually carry it more often than the P320). The G43 is super accurate and smaller than the SIG P320, and with a mag extender, holds 7 rds.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

A safety is not necessary unless it's a 1911. I have seen several instances where a safety cost somebody their life because they didn't remember to take it off also I have seen people lose their life because they didn't have one chambered. Say what you want but my carry gun will never have a safety and will always have one in the pipe. The only thing I want to think about is draw point shoot.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”