Looking for gunsmith in Houston to install new sights

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dws1117
Posts in topic: 3

Looking for gunsmith in Houston to install new sights

Post by dws1117 »

As the title says. Prefer north side, but willing to drive a little if the price is right. Also prefer someone that will call me back. I've tried 3 on recommendation of friends and can't get a person. It's an older Springfield mil spec so I know the slide will have to be milled. Any help is appreciated.

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Looking for gunsmith in Houston to install new sights

Post by LTUME1978 »

Try Ed Vanden Berg in Pearland. He has a website for contact information. He has down 5 jobs for me (3 on 1911s and two on 870 shotguns) and the work is excellent. I know others on this site have used him for 1911 work as well.

Topic author
dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

LTUME1978 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:01 am Try Ed Vanden Berg in Pearland. He has a website for contact information. He has down 5 jobs for me (3 on 1911s and two on 870 shotguns) and the work is excellent. I know others on this site have used him for 1911 work as well.
Thank you for the reply.

I'm reluctant to use him again after a previous bad experience. Many, many moons (at least 15 years) ago I'd purchased all new internal parts except for the barrel and took the gun to him to have them installed and do a trigger job. Took about a week which I surprised at the speed. I was expecting longer, but was happy it went so quick. When I picked up the gun (it was a Friday afternoon) he took my payment, virtually shoved the gun in my hand and rushed me out the door. There was no "try it out and admire my beautiful work'". It was more like here's your gun get out. I don't feel he was trying to be rude, but that's what it was. Get to the car and try out the trigger at it was heavy. Took it to a friend at a gun shop with a pull gauge and it was 14'lbs with the longest take up and roughest, grittiest break. Felt like the parts were literally just thrown in with no fitting. He would never return my call. I gave up after trying for more than a week and took it to someone else who did a terrific trigger job for much, much less than he was charging. There may well have been extraordinary circumstances involved, but since my call was never returned I'll never know.

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MaduroBU »

Brian Lohman on 290 has done a variety of good work for me. Never sights specifically, but I'd trust him based upon past experience.

Topic author
dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

MaduroBU wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:49 am Brian Lohman on 290 has done a variety of good work for me. Never sights specifically, but I'd trust him based upon past experience.
Thank you.

I've sent the slide to Novak for the sights, but it looks like he does some beautiful bluing and after sights the gun needs refinishing. I've sent him a message.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”