Just poking fun at you 1911 guys

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Just poking fun at you 1911 guys

Post by crazy2medic »

eyedoc wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:27 pm
strogg wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:03 pm Enough joking. Time to be serious. 1911s truly are heavy in comparison to Glock and SIG pistols. There's a reason why special gun belts exist for those who carry 1911s on a daily basis.

:biggrinjester:
My double stack 1911 is heavy, but with a good belt on you forget about it.
^^^^This^^^ !!!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

flechero
Posts in topic: 6

Post by flechero »

AndyC wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:47 pm "Heavy" is a relative term.

I've never found the 1911 to be heavy, but that's probably because I didn't grow up with a plastic gun and I'm so used to it I don't notice.
^^^^ So true, even BB & pellet guns were metal back in the 80's and before!

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

flechero wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:52 am
AndyC wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:47 pm "Heavy" is a relative term.

I've never found the 1911 to be heavy, but that's probably because I didn't grow up with a plastic gun and I'm so used to it I don't notice.
^^^^ So true, even BB & pellet guns were metal back in the 80's and before!
My cap gun as a kid weighted more than a Glock.

kayt00
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kayt00 »

Added a WC beavertail, ambidextrous safety, and truglo night sights to my 1911 yesterday. The box was marked team lift only...
:biggrinjester:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

truglo night sights to my 1911
I have these on my P12, they are great!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

kayt00
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kayt00 »

crazy2medic wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:58 pm truglo night sights to my 1911
I have these on my P12, they are great!
I dig em, I've got another set on the way for my G19.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

flechero
Posts in topic: 6

Post by flechero »

Another 300 rounds through one of my 1911's today... boring that all I got to focus on was the front sight and the sound or ar500 singing to me as I did transition drills. Oh NO!!!, I just realized, I forgot to oil it before going out and after each box of ammo :shock: and didn't clean it last time it was out. :lol:: Wait a minute, how could it possibly run??

And it doesn't even rattle. ;-)

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

flechero wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:00 pm Another 300 rounds through one of my 1911's today... boring that all I got to focus on was the front sight and the sound or ar500 singing to me as I did transition drills. Oh NO!!!, I just realized, I forgot to oil it before going out and after each box of ammo :shock: and didn't clean it last time it was out. :lol:: Wait a minute, how could it possibly run??

And it doesn't even rattle. ;-)
I just keep a bucket of oil in my truck I swish it around in it every day.

Gunner4640
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Gunner4640 »

Hmm I carry a few different 1911's Springfield, Colt and Ruger. My rugers do not rattle at all. My colt 9mm shoots great with all ammo and does not rattle my Springfield never fails it does not rattle either. The only ting I agree with is don't buy a kimber.
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

Diesel42
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Diesel42 »

:anamatedbanana
A friend at church asked what I carried.
I smiled and said a COVID 1911.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cmgee67 »

I have owned two Ruger 1911’s. The first one didn’t run well but it was pretty close to when they started to make them
I believe. The second was flawless. I tried to carry that gun. It was way too heavy. Felt like I had a big boat anchor on my side. I just couldn’t get used to it. But I grew up with polymer not plastic guns. Honestly I’d take any Glock or Sig Polymer gun to war over any 1911 pistol. While I think 1911’s are amazing handguns and they do what a pistols is supposed to do very well, there is a reason they are very rarely used in the professional world nowadays. That being said, there are some 1911’s that are go to war ready but for the price of those, I could buy 8 Glock 17’s and never have to worry about needing another gun. And another thing, in today’s modern polymer gun world, if you buy a Glock or a sig or an M&P and a part breaks, you just order another part out it in and bam your done. 1911’s are not so easily acceptable to parts not made for that gun. Now yes, mass produced 1911’s can accept other parts and have a good shot of working, but then again they may choke. Magazine problems plague the 1911 pistol. And To finish this long post, 17 rounds is better than 7

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I know I'm late to this thread, but just wanted to give my personal experience. I have had a number of "plastic" guns, including everything from Glocks (at least 6 Glock different models off the top of my head), Sigs, Walther, etc. I also have a number of metal guns, mostly CZ's and a fair amount of 1911's.

Yes, the metal guns weigh more than the plastic guns (with the exception of a Scandium framed S&W J frame). And my 1911's have all been made out of some sort of metal. If I need a really light gun for some reason, say I'm wearing jogging shorts with no belt, I'll take a tiny plastic gun, like a Kel-Tec P3AT, or the aforementioned J frame. But if I just need a "lighter" gun, then I really can't tell the difference between, say, a Glock 26 and an aluminum framed Officer / CCO sized 1911.

From a reliability standpoint, I've never had issues of note with my 1911's. They have been as reliable, or more reliable, than any of my other guns. In fact, the only ones with any real significant issues have been Sigs and Walthers. That includes my Sig P365 that was rendered completely inoperable (wouldn't even cycle the slide). No gun is infallible, not even a revolver, and that's why I always try to have a second one close by. But I have noticed no real reliability issues with 1911's. Caveat - I've never owned a truly "low end" 1911, mostly Dan Wesson's and STI's and up as far as price point.

As far as round capacity, I think 8 rounds of .45 ACP should be sufficient for almost all situations where 18 rounds of 9mm would also be sufficient. Sure if encounter an angry mob numbering in the hundreds, I won't have enough ammo, but I also wouldn't have enough with any handgun - hopefully I remembered to put the MSR in my trunk in that case.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”