Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
teraph
Posts in topic: 2

To NFA or not to NFA, that is the question

Post by teraph »

All,

I am finally at a point where I should be able to file some Form 1s this spring/summer, and would like y'alls input. Is it worth it to do the paperwork for a couple of SBRs and a suppressor or two right now?

Thanks!
Teraph
This We'll Defend

SigM4

Re: To NFA or not to NFA, that is the question

Post by SigM4 »

The best time to file Form 1/4s is yesterday, second best is today. Haha

Ok, that said yes, getting into the world of NFA firearms is always fun. If you have the ability to do so I’d say do it. The key is to file and forget about it. Once it’s approved you’ll get a random call to come pick up your new toy.

What are you thinking about specifically?
Last edited by SigM4 on Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Topic author
teraph

Post by teraph »

SigM4,

Fair point on yesterday/today. I was thinking about SBRing a couple of lowers (one of which is the new KP15), and form 1ing a suppressor. Outside of that, I kind of want to buy a Sandman S.

Teraph
This We'll Defend

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

teraph wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:52 pm Outside of that, I kind of want to buy a Sandman S.

Teraph
Do it! That’s my most recent rifle can and it’s awesome.

As for Form 1ing a couple cans I’d note that pistol and rimfire cans are more suited to this as the pressure involved is significantly less. Also, rimfire is so easy to suppress. Not that you can’t do it with center-fire rifle (several members here have) but the R&D that goes into commercial cans lends itself to more rugged and better performing rifle cans.

As an aside, be careful Form 1ing lowers, one becomes two and before you know it you barely even own a non-NFA rifle. Ask me how I know... :banghead:
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

jb2012
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jb2012 »

Absolutely it’s a good time. I would like to urge you not to build a can on a form 1 unless you really want to put some time into it, and not get the same performance as a form 4 factory built can. Several members here have built form 1 cans, and it seems like it’s always challenging to get them really running right. I also lurk on r/NFA quite a bit, and seems like the same story there as well. Definitely go for it, and be careful, it’s addicting.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

When the SBA3 & 4 exist, it's hard for me to justify going to the time, expense, and overhead of an SBR. That said having a real stock is the best.

My quietbore .22 and .45 silencers work great. They've gotten a lot of use. The Form 1's were many times quicker than a Form 4. Drilling aluminum is an easy project you can do at home. Drilling steel is a bit tougher, but if you've got a drill press its no big deal. There are adaptors to run .45 silencers on 9mm.

Some people like getting a .30 cal rifle and .45 cal pistol silencer... that you can run on most guns with the proper adaptors. Honestly I get the most mileage out of my .22 silencer. A .22 silencer is small, lightweight, and really does make a pistol or rifle a lot quieter.

Accuracy can be an issue for silencers. Silencers really help amateurs who are fighting recoil anticipation... but can sometimes be frustrating for pros who feel the effects of the inevitable point of impact shift and are used to putting holes through holes. I also do a lot more cleaning (both the silencers and the guns)
JOIN NRA TODAY!
NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life Member, VCDL Member
NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
Paladin Training Systems

“Those who expect to be both ignorant and free, expect what never was and never will be.” -Thomas Jefferson

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I waited more than 13 yrs to file for my first e-form1 and ordered my first can.
I got a nice 9mmAR built on Jack9 lower with 16" barrel for PCC competition.
I shot my friend's 22LR dedicated AR with short barrel with a can and a giggle switch. So, I decided to go this route.

I added a 5" 9mm AR upper. Then, I completed my NFA trust. I filed my e-form1 and I was billed for the 200 stamp the second day. I ordered a Gemtech Lunar 45 (modular and can be dissembled for cleaning) from my FFL dealer (Silencer Shop dealer). I still have to upload my fingertips done at the dealer Kiosk.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”