Bead Blasting in DFW

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Bead Blasting in DFW

Post by carlson1 »

I have a S&W M65 3” barrel that needs some cosmetic work. I was thinking a little bead blast would cover it all up. Any suggestions or doesn’t anyone know of someone in DFW that might do that kind of work?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bead Blasting in DFW

Post by Keith B »

See if someone does soda blasting with baking soda. Less abrasive, but strips surface rust well.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

Thanks Keith.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

From the photos it looks like there's pitting in addition to rust. Bead blasting will remove the rust but not the pitting which will need to be polished out.

If that's the case I'd send that to a gunsmith to be sure it comes out right.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

texas yankee

Post by texas yankee »

"it looks like there's pitting in addition to rust. Bead blasting will remove the rust but not the pitting" - I was never able to find anyone that did bead blasting locally, besides car repair shops that usually did sand blasting - don't do sand blasting on your gun. I like tinkering with guns and I've taken a number of gunsmithing courses, but I'm certainly not a gunsmith - that being said, my friend has a bead blasting setup that he's allowed me to use from time to time to bead blast some older, relatively inexpensive guns where the finish was cosmetically challenged - a couple had rust \ pitting (under the grip panels) as shown in your gun. I found that bead blasting resulted in a surface that effectively "disguised" the pitting - bead blasting doesn't remove any material, it just "re-configures" the surface - the resulting finish \ texture I ended up with was rougher than a brushed or matte stainless finish, but not quite as complex as a stippled Glock looks like. I'm not sure what the pressure setting is on my friend's setup, not am I sure about the specifics of the media he has in the blasting cabinet (some form of well-used glass beads) - and I've read that different pressure settings and blasting media can result in very different finishes - but mine turned out fine, for me. Obviously it's VERY important to completely disassemble and clean any part that goes into the blasting cabinet - the dust \ particles go everywhere and get into every nook and cranny - I use brake parts cleaner followed by an ultrasonic cleaner (less than $60 at Harbor Freight).
What's in it for me ? :patriot:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”