FFL on counter personnel?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
couzin
Posts in topic: 1

FFL on counter personnel?

Post by couzin »

Can anyone tell me if the folks that sell weapons and ammo at Academy, Bass Pro, Gander, pawn shops, etc are required to have an FFL? Or are they operating under a blanket license from either the store or a manager. I am planning retirement by the end of this year and I would like to do something fun and of interest to me (a few extra $$ don't hurt either). I don't have an FFL but no big stretch to go thru the ordeal if one is required. Anyone??

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Choose where carefully.

I talked to the guy at the guns counter at Academy and he said they weren't allowed to carry while working. You couldn't pay me enough to sell firearms unarmed.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The corporation will be the FFL; salesmen aren't required to be a licensee.

Chas.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

To further clarify, each individual store has its own FFL. They don't issue "company wide" FFLs; each premises has to have its own license.

Kevin

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

I read in the FFL requirements having the license means that you must state that firearms will be your main source of income, it's not a hobby type license. But seeing as you are doing it in retirement, it could work. Having the license and handling transfers for non-FFLs buying off the Internet could be lucrative. Some charge between $15-$40 + shipping for each transfer.

If you just want to work at a gun store, I don't guess you need one.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

To get an FFL, you must have premises that are open for business at regular hours -- in other words, a store.

Some people get an FFL without having a store, but they risk getting it pulled.

An individual can get a curios and relics (C&R) license. That lets you do some things you couldn't legally do otherwise. Mainly you can buy, ship, and receive categories of weapons that are more than 50 years old -- though there are many complications. You might want to look into it.

- Jim

rodnocker1

Post by rodnocker1 »

When I applied for my FFL 01, I told them it would be at a residence. When the BATF agent came to do my interview and inspection, I showed him the building I would be operating out of (not a store, just a site built building behind my home). He looked it over and said he didn't see any problem. We finished the interview and he left. About 2 to 3 weeks later, my license came in the mail. No big deal.
Rodney

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I have read that the feds can be more demanding than that. Perhaps it varies according to the local office.

- Jim

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

seamusTX wrote:I have read that the feds can be more demanding than that. Perhaps it varies according to the local office.
It does vary.

An FFL is required to comply with all state and local laws, zoning, business permits, etc. In some areas (the worst reports I've heard have been from NY), ATF will really bust your chops over state/local issues, and look for reasons to deny the application.

But for the rest of the country, it's not a problem. Unless there's a reason why you really can't/shouldn't receive the FFL, it sails right through.

Each Type 01 (dealer) FFL does have to have a specific location licensed, and must list hours of operation on the application. During those hours of operation, you must be open for ATF to walk in unannounced.

Kevin

rodnocker1

Post by rodnocker1 »

Yes, one of the things that helped is that our "city" only has around 100 or so people in it and has absolutely NO zoning whatsoever. That was one of the big advantages to living 10 miles past nowhere. The BATF Agent came into Leona on Hwy. 75 and once getting inside of the city limits, he had to call me 3 times to find my house. I live directly on Hwy. 75 and had to wave to him as he got near to keep him from passing my house up, even after telling him the address and giving a description of my house. I am pretty sure that in a larger city, it would have been a no-go without an actual store, just as seamus said.
Rodney

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”