ammo on sale

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 183

Re: ammo on sale

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The wally world closest to me is being raided by gun store employees or something. they never have any amount of 9mm or 45. It is sad. :banghead:

joe817
Posts in topic: 92

Post by joe817 »

03Lightningrocks wrote:The wally world closest to me is being raided by gun store employees or something. they never have any amount of 9mm or 45. It is sad. :banghead:
That really happens all to frequently. The only way I've been able to get ammo is to call around 7:30am and see if they have any in stock then beat it over there before someone casually drops in to scoop everything up. I have a list of 5 stores I call when I'm in "forage mode". :lol: It sure beats driving around aimlessly hoping to find some.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

smasraum
Posts in topic: 10

Post by smasraum »

I've just been stopping buy the one closest to my house a couple of times a week. I bought 2 boxes of 100 rounds of wwb yesterday to go with the 3 boxes of 100 I bought a couple of weeks back. I'll go back and hopefully pick up another box or two in the next 2 weeks. I figure I'll be buying $20-40 worth every couple of weeks (so the wifey won't notice $200-300 spent on ammo)
Steve
SA XDM 9
Friendswood

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 183

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

joe817 wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:The wally world closest to me is being raided by gun store employees or something. they never have any amount of 9mm or 45. It is sad. :banghead:
That really happens all to frequently. The only way I've been able to get ammo is to call around 7:30am and see if they have any in stock then beat it over there before someone casually drops in to scoop everything up. I have a list of 5 stores I call when I'm in "forage mode". :lol: It sure beats driving around aimlessly hoping to find some.

I just drove to three different wally worlds in my area. Nothing at any of them. I should have done like you and just called. Oh well, it gave me something to do for a couple hours. I also got my Combo License and Dove stamp. Two more weeks! I ask the clerk at the wally world on spring creek and 75 why some of the Houston stores seem to be getting more ammo. He told me that it all depended on which warehouse is supplying each store. He said that his location is using a different warehouse than the McKinnney, Rowlett stores and he said they always get ammo before he does. I guess the Houston warehouses are getting more of the ammo than the DFW area.

joe817
Posts in topic: 92

Post by joe817 »

Academy is another good source. They open at 9am, but if you call around 8:30 you can talk to the department & see if they have anything. They are almost as good or even slightly better than W.M. about having ammo in stock.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

USA1
Posts in topic: 104

Post by USA1 »

joe817 wrote:Academy is another good source. They open at 9am, but if you call around 8:30 you can talk to the department & see if they have anything. They are almost as good or even slightly better than W.M. about having ammo in stock.
:iagree:
i have had way better luck at Academy . even later in the day , which unusual these days .

i have definitely noticed an improvement since April .
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Tireshred
Posts in topic: 69

Post by Tireshred »

The Academy's around here open at 8AM now. The one at Edgebrook has everything but .380, including Hornady self defense 45 for $1 a round. The one at NASA Parkway has everything, but I relieved them of both boxes of Rem 100rd .380 at 8AM today. Sorry, but they still had WWB .380 for $20, not much though, it's probably gone now. And I agree, it's getting better day by day.
"All of life's big problems include the words "Indictment" or "Inoperable", everything else is small stuff." Alton Brown

Kevinf2349
Posts in topic: 50

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Carter's Country (Pasadena) has all caliber (380 only in aluminum). They seem a lot more expensive than Academy or Wally world, but they seem to have a lot of ammunition...probably because they are hiking the price :mad5
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

geoelectro
Posts in topic: 1

Post by geoelectro »

Kevinf2349 wrote:Carter's Country (Pasadena) has all caliber (380 only in aluminum). They seem a lot more expensive than Academy or Wally world, but they seem to have a lot of ammunition...probably because they are hiking the price :mad5
Yep, I've noticed that. But like you say, they have it!

Geoelectro
Glock 19
Taurus PT 917c

NRA Member
CHL Holder

gwtrikenut

Post by gwtrikenut »

Also, have you noticed the prices are coming down. The rush is over and we are seeing that Obama can not stop the common American public. He and the rest of Washington is seeing this. Not only with gun control problems, either.

CompVest
Posts in topic: 11

Post by CompVest »

Let's just say the current Administration hasn't really made an attempt on our guns rights. I refuse to get complacent!
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 8

Post by UpTheIrons »

I walked into WM in Seguin last night to pick up some .30-30, and what did my eyes see? 4 WWB 100 rounders in .38 Special and 5 of the same in .45 FMJ. $32 for the .45 and (I think) just about the same for the .38. I left some of both for whoever wanders in today. Nothing else in pistol caliber was on the shelf save for a few boxes of .40, but did they ever have shotshells and rifle ammo.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

texagun
Posts in topic: 4

Post by texagun »

Just got back from Ft. Worth Cabella's (Thur. afternoon). The shelves were well stocked with all kinds of handgun ammo....everything from .32 Auto to .454 Casull, with the exception of .45 LC. I had special ordered 5 boxes of .45 LC just a few days ago and it came in already so I picked it up. The store was packed and the ammo was going fast. There is some kind of sale going on so lots of guys in there looking for bargains.

sbb

Post by sbb »

geoelectro wrote:
Kevinf2349 wrote:Carter's Country (Pasadena) has all caliber (380 only in aluminum). They seem a lot more expensive than Academy or Wally world, but they seem to have a lot of ammunition...probably because they are hiking the price :mad5

Geoelectro
While you may think that the prices have been hiked, it ain't so. Large box stores that have hundreds of locations are able to purchase at much lower prices than a company that operates only four locations. Don't get me wrong, I love to save money as much as the next guy. I prefer to purchase at a location that deals mainly in firearms and has knowledeable staff instead of a clothing and camping store that just happens to sell ammunition. :seeya:
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

Pete92FS
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Pete92FS »

sbb wrote:
geoelectro wrote:

Geoelectro
While you may think that the prices have been hiked, it ain't so. Large box stores that have hundreds of locations are able to purchase at much lower prices than a company that operates only four locations. Don't get me wrong, I love to save money as much as the next guy. I prefer to purchase at a location that deals mainly in firearms and has knowledeable staff instead of a clothing and camping store that just happens to sell ammunition. :seeya:
The last person I dealt with at Carter's Country I-10 @ Campbell wasn't what I would call knowlegable. When I was looking around last month for a Para GI Expert I went there because they had it listed on their sales ad in the newspaper. When I asked the man behind the counter if they still had one I was told they didn't carry it. I told him they had it in their sales brouchure he said he didn't think they had any. I asked him to show me where they kept the Para's and sure enough; there was one on the top shelf with their "sale" tag on it for $599.99 which is actually MSRP. Academy was selling them for $499.99 if you could find one. Wound up getting one at the High Caliber at GRB for about halfway in between the two prices. You would at least think these guys would know what is on their "sales" brochures.
CHL since 01/26/09

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”