High end 1911 debate...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Re: High end 1911 debate...

Post by WildBill »

CompVest wrote:Shooting a Wilson or Bear compared to shooting a Kimber or Colt is rather like driving a nice Honda, Chevy, or even a BMW compared to a Ferrari. They both get you to where you are going but one just feels better and tighter on the corners!
Then, there are also the envious looks and compliments that you get from the other "drivers". ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

yerasimos wrote:I have to enquire about the purpose behind deliberately spending $2000 or more on a firearm that fires the same ammunition as the handguns one already possesses, and has the same manual of arms as at least one of them.

Is this supposed to be a future heirloom, a safe queen, something super accurate, an inflation hedge . . . or just an addition to the collection?

What will this $2000 handgun accomplish that one's other handguns cannot accomplish?

Can one acquire the same functionality with his other handguns by way of a competent gunsmith, or changing a few additional components, or spending the time and/or money on additional practice ammunition, a training course, solo practice at the range, etc?

For me, I would have to have good answers to these questions before I spent all that money on a relatively illiquid investment.

IIRC, Kimberly Munley and Mark Todd used 9mm Berettas to stop the homicidal Major Hasan Nidal at Fort Hood. I would not be surprised if these were factory-spec, department-issued weapons that cost no more than ~$600 each.

My opinion---take it or leave it.
Its about feel, reliability, accuracy... its about alot of stuff. High Ends are built better. They have more attention to detail put into them.
For me, when it comes to electronics and guns I believe you get what you pay for. And when I am putting my life and others lives behind a weapon I want to get the best one I can.

CompVest
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CompVest »

Here here! :cheers2:
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:Its about feel, reliability, accuracy... its about alot of stuff. High Ends are built better. They have more attention to detail put into them.
For me, when it comes to electronics and guns I believe you get what you pay for. And when I am putting my life and others lives behind a weapon I want to get the best one I can.
Fair enough. I hope you find what you are looking for. Let us know what you get. :cool: :fire

Topic author
DONT TREAD ON ME

I think that I have already decided on the TRP PRO made by Springfield.

I like the feel of Springfields and it fits all of my needs.

Dudley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dudley »

Wait for the Colt 2011
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until it's free.

Topic author
DONT TREAD ON ME

Im not a big fan of the 2011 (at least not right now). I like the style (Classic/Traditional) of the 1911. Its just screams beauty to me!

mbw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mbw »

Xtreme-

Springfield makes very good pistols. Have you had the opprotunity to fondle any of the higher priced 1911's yourself, or are you just looking at photos and factory specs? I don't know if there are any shops in SA that stock these pistols, maybe McBrides in Austin?

Collectors Firearms in Houston stocks Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Springfield, and Wilson. You can check their web site for current stock. Not so many Wilson these days though. I would not reccomend buying from them as their pricing is usually at list or even higher at times. Collectors does deal on these higher dollar guns, just ask them. But it would give you the chance to touch and feel the differences between the different products that these companies produce before you lay out the money.

Just a thought.

Topic author
DONT TREAD ON ME

I have looked at the others and held a few of them too. There is a shop here in SA that carries Brown, Wilson and maybe a Baer. Im not sure on the last one tho. I have held them and to be honest they all felt great to me. So I did some research and have asked personal opinions from experiences both here and on 1911forum and thats what has helped me in my decision.

Thanks for the good advice tho!

:patriot:

macktruckturner

Post by macktruckturner »

Pretty sure you'll be happy as a pig in mud. I dropped a load of cash on a Nighthawk Custom Enforcer (bobtailed) as a gift to myself for surviving OIF3. Am I likely to ever spend that much on a firearm again? Probably not. Do I have any complaints about the pistol? Not a single one. It has run silky smooth since round one, and several thousand later still runs and looks amazing.
I am the Infantry, FOLLOW ME!

Blog, photo site, Flickr page

TxCHL holder, NRA Member (EPL program), Combat Veteran (3/3ID, OIF3/OIF5), Constitutionalist

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

"Sometimes there is no greater pleasure in possessing something for no reason other than you can."
- WildBill 2009
NRA Endowment Member

macktruckturner

Post by macktruckturner »

WildBill wrote:"Sometimes there is no greater pleasure in possessing something for no reason other than you can."
- WildBill 2009
QFT
I am the Infantry, FOLLOW ME!

Blog, photo site, Flickr page

TxCHL holder, NRA Member (EPL program), Combat Veteran (3/3ID, OIF3/OIF5), Constitutionalist

Topic author
DONT TREAD ON ME

macktruckturner wrote:Pretty sure you'll be happy as a pig in mud. I dropped a load of cash on a Nighthawk Custom Enforcer (bobtailed) as a gift to myself for surviving OIF3. Am I likely to ever spend that much on a firearm again? Probably not. Do I have any complaints about the pistol? Not a single one. It has run silky smooth since round one, and several thousand later still runs and looks amazing.
I may have to wait on the same thing. I am looking to get an individual tasker to Afghanistan. If I get it then I will be putting an order in prior to me leaving so it might be done by the time I get back. It could be a LONG time before I get a tasker though. So, we will see.

Topic author
DONT TREAD ON ME

macktruckturner wrote:
WildBill wrote:"Sometimes there is no greater pleasure in possessing something for no reason other than you can."
- WildBill 2009
QFT
Im a bit behind the times on the net lingo...what is QFT?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:
macktruckturner wrote:
- WildBill 2009
QFT
Im a bit behind the times on the net lingo...what is QFT?
It means Quoted For Truth
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”