Gun sticking in Holster

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
geoelectro
Posts in topic: 3

Gun sticking in Holster

Post by geoelectro »

I was going to try practicing drawing from my IWB holster and discovered when drawing the holster comes out with the gun! :shock:
It appears that if there is pressure on the sides of the holster it grabs the gun very tightly. It didn't used to do this. Is there a way to lubricate a leather holster?

It's a Ross IWB holster and a Glock 19.

Geoelectro
Glock 19
Taurus PT 917c

NRA Member
CHL Holder

stealthfightrf17
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun sticking in Holster

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

You can get Leather conditioner and try that. Most auto parts stores should carry it, as well as many places that sell baseball supplies

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

I always use a silicon spray on all my leather holsters, won't damage the gun finish or the holster. One thing I wonder is why the snaps do not hold the holster in place to your belt....
Salty1

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

A couple of questions first. are you snapping the loop around the belt? Are the one way snaps turned the right way?

You can try putting some silicone spray lube on a cloth and wiping the inside of the holster to slick it up a little. Do not put anything on your holster that may soften the leather it will ruin the boning.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
geoelectro

Post by geoelectro »

Yes, the snaps are in their proper place. This is a lefty here :lol: so the picture will look backwards to the majority.

I will try the silicon. When drawing the snaps actually unsnap letting the holster come out. That's how tight it is.

Geoelectro
Glock 19
Taurus PT 917c

NRA Member
CHL Holder

gfmun

Post by gfmun »

Loosen your belt ? Not being funny, just loosen your belt and see if it still sticks.

George

b322da

Post by b322da »

I had a similar problem with a new El Paso Saddlery holster for my Colt Defender, and I received good advice from others here:

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=43423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The trick of using a small plastic bag worked fine, but I eventually used two layers of plastic bag to condition the holster to my satisfaction by loosening it up a bit more. I used the 6-1/2" by 5-7/8" ziplock sandwich bags dear wife had in the kitchen. After setting it aside in the gun safe for a week or so to give the plastic time to permanently stretch the leather it worked out fine.

I tried the Galco Draw-EZ first, but I found that in my case I had to renew the treatment too often -- like every day. This may be because the holster is Suede-lined.

Elmo
Last edited by b322da on Fri May 13, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

thr_wedge

Post by thr_wedge »

Belt tension, especially for a leather holster, is going to be one of the keys for retention strength of the holster. The snaps also sound defective, are they pull the dot type snaps?

On plastic holster I use silicon.

On leather, I just did a ton of presentations.

Kydex has been fine out of the box.
NRA member
TSRA member

cubbyjg

Post by cubbyjg »

Is it a new holster? If so, it will be tight for a couple of weeks. The plastic bag trick helps but it will get better with time. When i got my mitch rosen holster, i just sat watching the tv and inserted and removed the pistol from the holster 50-60 times. Did that a couple times a week and it eventually loosened up. Before you apply any type of liquid or spray, i would advise you to contact the manufacturer and ask them what they suggest.
Hook'em Horns!
Class of 2007

“I am actually for gun control. Use both hands." - Gov. Rick Perry

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

MoJo wrote:A couple of questions first. are you snapping the loop around the belt? Are the one way snaps turned the right way?

You can try putting some silicone spray lube on a cloth and wiping the inside of the holster to slick it up a little. Do not put anything on your holster that may soften the leather it will ruin the boning.
Eh - on an IWB holster, it will see enough sweat that some silicone spray wont upset it too much. As long as the gun goes back in, shouldn't mess things up too much. I sort of view leather holsters as disposable items.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

You can also use a dress sock around your gun and force it into the holster (unloaded of course) and let it sit overnight. That will form fit it too.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

If that is an older holster, I'd suggest your snaps are worn and need replacing/adjusting.
If that's a new holster, try the plastic bag trick.

I had a new leather holster that was so tight I had a difficult time pulling the gun out at all, even holding the gun in one hand while pulling the holster in the opposite direction with the other hand.... Overnight in a ziplock bag fixed it.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
geoelectro

Post by geoelectro »

Good suggestions. It's a nearly two year old holster and I believe the snaps have gotten looser over time. Still, the gun sticks too easily. I will try some of your suggestions.

I have been losing weight lately and tightening my belt to keep my pants up!! :mrgreen:

Geoelectro
Glock 19
Taurus PT 917c

NRA Member
CHL Holder

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

I have just the opposite problem with a Galco for my Colt Officer. I'm sure it wouldn't come out unless I stood on my head but I still don't like it. I don't know if there is a cure for too loose.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”