Thoughts on the Taurus Judge / S&W Governor?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 1

Thoughts on the Taurus Judge / S&W Governor?

Post by rp_photo »

A part of thinks this is a versatile platform, but the other thinks "Jack of all trades but master of none".

As I see it, they would be most useful with shotshells.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

speedsix
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Thoughts on the Taurus Judge / S&W Governor?

Post by speedsix »

...stand on your head and read this: :thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:

macattac

Post by macattac »

I really like having the Judge with me on when I am on the ranch. I hate snakes, and snakes hate a load of #6's. Works fine for me. Also just in general a fun gun to shoot. Get a good belt and holster, it is a tad heavy stoked with 45LC but it is fun to shoot!

karder

Post by karder »

Personally, I like the platform while understanding it is a bit of a niche tool. These guns take a lot of criticism, but I think most of it is unwarranted. They are fun to shoot, and the ability to shoot .410 does open up some possibilities. If you want it for self-defense, .45lc or .45acp will get the job done. I would not put one in my carry rotation, as I have better options, but I would not mind having one in my toolbox. I don't know why a .45acp coming out of a 2 1/2 inch barrel is less effective in the judge than any other brand of compact handgun with the same barrel length. Granted, if I am shooting .45 for self-defense, I would rather be doing it with my Colt or Kimber, but that is my personal opinion.
I have more guns than I need, so when I purchase now "fun factor" is pretty high on my list of requirements, and the Judge/Governor seems like it would fit the bill.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

karder wrote: I don't know why a .45acp coming out of a 2 1/2 inch barrel is less effective in the judge than any other brand of compact handgun with the same barrel length.
karder: AFAIK, the Judge can handle .45 Long Colt, but not .45 ACP.

The Taurus Judge and SW Governor are similar, but the SW appears to be the better of the two, due to its being able
to handle 3 calibers (.45 ACP, .45 LC, and .410) instead of the Judge's two calibers (.45 LC and .410).

Also, the Judge has only 5 rounds and the Smith has 6.

IMHO - Yes, this would be a great gun against snakes with the right .410 shells, but for EDC carry against 2 legged
snakes, other handguns with only a 5 or 6 round capacity would be more concealable.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Cosmo 9

Post by Cosmo 9 »

If you're in my neck of the woods you can take my Judge for a spin. They are fun to shoot and do have a place in this world.
These Pretzels are making me thirsty!

karder

Post by karder »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:karder: AFAIK, the Judge can handle .45 Long Colt, but not .45 ACP.
You are correct. I should have said Governor as that one shoots the .45acp with moon clips. I would not mind trying out the S&W version as I have heard the fit and finish is a bit better than the Taurus, but I don't know if that is true or not. If I were to buy one, I would go for the Governor as I have a lot of .45acp stock on hand.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

karder wrote: I have more guns than I need,
Please never use those words again :biggrinjester:

FWIW, we have a Taurus Public Defender (2" barrel version of the judge) and it is the gun my wife trusts the most for her car gun. We special designed (redneck engineered) a special pouch on the side of her center console for it and she carries it with .410 personal defense rounds.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

in my opnion the .410 wouldnt have the stoping power I would want in a Personal Defense gun. that being said I have shot one and it was a fun toy and would probably be hell on snakes

Here is a review I read from a site I typically trust
http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wharvey

Post by wharvey »

I think either would be a fun gun to shoot and I think also might be a good gun in snake country but as a primary defensive gun, well any gun is better than a rock but it would be very far down on my list.

One thing I think I'd really love to have one far is close range aerial target shooting. I'd think this would be a huge boon in learning point shooting and shooting at moving targets - plus a heck of a lot of fun.
Bill Harvey

License to Carry Handgun - Indiana, since Aug 1997
CHL - Texas, since Aug 2011

terryg

Post by terryg »

1. Fun to shoot
2. VERY fun to shoot
3. Snakes

... that's about it
... this space intentionally left blank ...

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

The Taurus Judge will shoot .45ACP.
http://www.taurususa.com/accesories-stellarclips.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... umbseries=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have the Public Defender model. Its primary job is to dispatch snakes and for that function it preforms very well. We do have self-defense ammo for it but it is not our go to platform should the need arise. Like every tool, it does have limitations but for the function that we wanted--snake killer--it does a fantastic job.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Bullwhip

Post by Bullwhip »

macattac wrote:I really like having the Judge with me on when I am on the ranch. I hate snakes, and snakes hate a load of #6's. Works fine for me. Also just in general a fun gun to shoot. Get a good belt and holster, it is a tad heavy stoked with 45LC but it is fun to shoot!
Any 38/357/44 revolver with shot shells will do just as much damage to a snake. Regular ammo will do much better against two legged critters than a 410 will.

No use making a bigger heavier gun to do the same thing.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

while I don't own a Judge and am not planning on getting one. I like the concept of keeping it as a console gun. Lots of us are moving to smaller and more concealable guns. They are just about useless if needed while strapped on a hip while seatbelted in the car. A big ole gun that one can find easily in a door panel or console has a certain tactical advantage. I always have 2 guns when traveling, one in the door panel and one tied onto my person. Currently the car gun is puny Beretta 92 but something like the Judge would be pretty nice.

They would be pretty nice for open carry hiking. In places like the Arizona desert
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Tamie

Post by Tamie »

rp_photo wrote:A part of thinks this is a versatile platform, but the other thinks "Jack of all trades but master of none".

As I see it, they would be most useful with shotshells.
I think it's a good choice for eliminating pests but there are better self defense revolvers.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”