1st GLOCK Range report

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
CombatWombat
Posts in topic: 7

1st GLOCK Range report

Post by CombatWombat »

Bought my first Glock about a week ago, didnt know that I needed it until I saw it, now Im a GLock owner. Went to the range today after a thorough cleaning last night. I admit that I ran the pistol pretty dry but I figured hey its a Glock no problem, I got a standard G17 mag with a slip on grip extension and I couldn't resist the 33 round mag. Oh! BTW its a gen 3 glock 26 (9mm if you didn't know).

anyway, fist shot BANG! FTFeed! tapped the back of the slide, finished off the mag no problem, I shot strong handed , weak handed, one handed L&R, distances from 7ft to 65ft, I shot each table of fire until i could consistently get 5 out of 5 bullets in the ring. hundred or so rounds later BANG! FTFeed or FTE not sure, I tapped the back of the slide and then racked it but i couldn't confirm if it was a live round or not that came out. couple mags after that ,FTE not quite a stovepipe. Smooth sailing from then on, got comfortable with some controlled pairs and cycled through some fiocchi hollowpoints hornady zombie bullets and some federal hydra shocks no problem. The ammo I shot for my tables of fire were winchester and federal fmjs NOT RELOADS one malfunction on the federals and two on the winchesters(which i shot more of)

All in all things i need to change are some better grips, extended mag release( couldn't drop the darn thing without getting awkward) Def some better sights! I had a hard time picking up a good sight picture rapidly. This pistol was really easy to familiarize with and I was very proficient within the first hundred or so rounds. 33 round mag was awesome! I'm not yet a hardcore believer in the Glock yet but don't worry I'll know after another trip to the range!
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.
Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)

Chuck Norris once sneezed on an 18 wheeler, the result was Optimus Prime.

Kimber Tactical Ultra II
Crimson Trace Laser grips
CrossBreed Super Tuck

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 1st GLOCK Range report

Post by Scott in Houston »

I have 3 Glocks (26,19,32) with a total of 9000 rounds through them combined, and I've literally never had a single FTF or FTE or any issue of any type other than the slide not staying back after the last round. THat ended up being a user error with my thumb riding the slide stop.

I would bet it's a magazine thing. Were the issues with a particular mag? Was it the 33 round mag?
There are a bunch of "Glock" magazines made in Korea or elsewhere, and not by Glock that have caused issues.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

I'm not sure what you mean by better grips. Do you mean learning how to grip it better with your hands because there's not really much else you can do with a Glock's grip.

Better sights are a good improvement. I'm picking up a set of Trijicon HD night sites this weekend, hopefully. They ordered them on Monday and said they'd be here by the end of the week, but I haven't heard from them yet.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Munk

Post by Munk »

I second the mag problem... Those big mags aren't really known for their reliability while Glock in general has. My G23 has never even had a hiccup of any sort with roughly 2500 rounds.
III%

Topic author
CombatWombat

Post by CombatWombat »

It wasnt the 33 round mag, all are factory glock mags, It was the 10 rounders that were in at the time of malfunction. and when i say better grips i mean I am going to upgrade the grips on the pistol with a slip on or decal grips of some sort
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.

Kimber Tactical Ultra II
CrossBreed Super Tuck

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

The 33rd mags are toys IMHO.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
CombatWombat

Post by CombatWombat »

Def a toy that i couldn't resist, very practical for just putting rounds downrange. worse comes to worse and you ran out of bullets it'll make a nice handle for a glock club

Kimber Tactical Ultra II
CrossBreed Super Tuck

KWalk313000

Post by KWalk313000 »

I've got a g19 and g26 with thousands of rounds through each with no FTFs, only 2 FTE and both of those were when my sister was shooting the g19 with subsonic ammo. Also had a g17 years ago, had one FTF for about 4000 rounds.
Hit the range with it again you will end up loving it.
Glock 19
Glock 26
Ruger LCP

Topic author
CombatWombat

Post by CombatWombat »

I plan on it, with the advice of a friend I'll be leaving a light bit of oil on it. any suggestions for a good trigger mod? I like the idea of the 3.5lb drop ins but i need some more info

Kimber Tactical Ultra II
CrossBreed Super Tuck

Ace5299

Post by Ace5299 »

Welcome to the Glock club!
I have a few Glocks too. 19 and 27. I have shot thousands of rounds through my 19 with no issues. The 27 is new but so far works like all other Glocks. You should be fine.

texasmusic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by texasmusic »

See if your ejector is marked 336 or 30274. (It's the metal piece protruding from the frame when you take the slide off).
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

rentz

Post by rentz »

I've got a gen 4 g26 never had any ftf or any issues at all, have a 336 extractor on it.

Topic author
CombatWombat

Post by CombatWombat »

It's a 336, what's the difference

Kimber Tactical Ultra II
CrossBreed Super Tuck

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

CombatWombat wrote:Bought my first Glock about a week ago, didnt know that I needed it until I saw it, now Im a GLock owner. Went to the range today after a thorough cleaning last night. I admit that I ran the pistol pretty dry but I figured hey its a Glock no problem, I got a standard G17 mag with a slip on grip extension and I couldn't resist the 33 round mag. Oh! BTW its a gen 3 glock 26 (9mm if you didn't know).

anyway, fist shot BANG! FTFeed! tapped the back of the slide, finished off the mag no problem, I shot strong handed , weak handed, one handed L&R, distances from 7ft to 65ft, I shot each table of fire until i could consistently get 5 out of 5 bullets in the ring. hundred or so rounds later BANG! FTFeed or FTE not sure, I tapped the back of the slide and then racked it but i couldn't confirm if it was a live round or not that came out. couple mags after that ,FTE not quite a stovepipe. Smooth sailing from then on, got comfortable with some controlled pairs and cycled through some fiocchi hollowpoints hornady zombie bullets and some federal hydra shocks no problem. The ammo I shot for my tables of fire were winchester and federal fmjs NOT RELOADS one malfunction on the federals and two on the winchesters(which i shot more of)

All in all things i need to change are some better grips, extended mag release( couldn't drop the darn thing without getting awkward) Def some better sights! I had a hard time picking up a good sight picture rapidly. This pistol was really easy to familiarize with and I was very proficient within the first hundred or so rounds. 33 round mag was awesome! I'm not yet a hardcore believer in the Glock yet but don't worry I'll know after another trip to the range!
Owned Glocks since the 1980s, Somebody shouldda told you not to clean the thing ...
:mrgreen:
"Glock" Magazines ... I have much better "luck" with Factory Glock mags than I ever have with "look alike" some other brand made to work in a Glock mags. . TIP if you use the hard plastic spacers shown below instead of the soft rubber ones, the set screw tightness can affect mag reliability if too tight/can affect feeding etc...http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GRIP150-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Advantage Tactical Sights are awesome on my Glock 26/19/17/27/22/23 etc :)
(I used to use PT-night sights in various colors so I knew what caliber it was in the dark, replaced them all when they got dim/burned out)
various color combos
http://www.advantagetactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mine are orange rear, yellow front, but I'm not good with a camera
Photos are from last year using the Glock 17 mag and hard plastic grip spacer-20+1 with the Pearce PG39 +3 mag extension ..
on my EDC 26, I use a Glock 19 mag (15 capacity+ Pearce PG39 +3 mag ext pinky grip=18+1 chambered) and the SOFTER RUBBER mag grip spacer http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GRIP150-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for deep concealment / swimming/kayaking/boating, I just use the 10 round and PG39 +3 pinky mag ext for 13+1 chambered so it fits in the life jacket vest pocket http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/37209-36.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PG39 adds 3 capacity and a pinky rest and is smaller than Glock's +2 extension for better concealment Image
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/37209-36.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mine with
Internal Guide Rod laser .. Advantage Tactical Sights, Extended Ported Stainless barrel, 20+1 capacity
For you who looked really closely at the photos, the little hole in the grip ... is because 26s don't have a lanyard hole like the larger Glocks do, and I needed one to attach a LEASH/Lanyard/float because Glocks sink and I'm not diving to the lake bottom ...
I sold the 17Ls (I had 2) and the 10mms and a Sergeant bought my .45s ...
CombatWombat wrote:It's a 336, what's the difference
On Glock Gen 4s, there was a recoil spring issue/recall, and they started replacing the 336 ejectors with the new ones too
Some people replaced there ejectors in the Gen 3 26s too even though they didn't have trouble with them.
I had some "upgrades" done by armorers in the 1980s when Glock so advised, but no one at Glock to my knowledge, "advised" everyone to go change ejectors ....if tain't broke and tisn't a safety issue, I ain't messin' wid it.
If I overlook a recall, and mine still works, no harm no foul.
I only have Gen 1, 2, 2.5 and 3 time-tested Glocks. Gen 4s are neat lookin', but I'll wait.
Last edited by RPB on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

LongHairedRedneck

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

Try Meprolight night sights, have em on all my glocks and really like them.

I put a 3.5 connector in my G27 it brought the trigger pull down to 5lb 3oz(measured with a pull gauge). Its a definate easy cheap improvement over the stock wieght.

In my Gen 4 G35(IDPA comp gun) I have a Glockworxs Zev Tech Standard Deluxe Trigger kit with the 2# striker spring installed, while too light for carry it makes for a sweet trigger pull.
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”