Advice request: Moving a large safe up the stairs... Dallas

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
lbuehler325
Posts in topic: 5

Advice request: Moving a large safe up the stairs... Dallas

Post by lbuehler325 »

Okay, glad to finally become a rarefied resident of the state of Texas, as I closed and moved into our new home earlier this week. Mover came and delivered our household goods a day later. Good, right? Well, they refused to move my safe up the stairs, claiming they couldn't safely move it, despite the fact that I explicitly stated the requirement of where I wanted the safe to be located with my firm's relocation company. Long story shot, the safe is on the first floor (in my garage), and needs to be on the second floor. Any suggestions on how to safely, efficiently, and economically move it up a flight of stairs would be greatly appreciated.

Hallway width, turning space not an issue. Simply, the how to expertise is required.

Safe is a Fatboy 64 (880 lbs dressed as delivered, but under 800 lbs with the shelving and dressing removed). Door cannot be removed (internal hinges) to my knowledge.

I've heard about stair-climbing trucks, but don't know where to get a hold of one in the Dallas area.

Thanks in advance.
RLTW!
TX CHL (Formerly licensed in PA, MA, KY)
MOPH, VFW, GOA, NRA, 82nd Airborne Division Association

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Advice request: Moving a large safe up the stairs... Dal

Post by WildBill »

lbuehler325 wrote:Okay, glad to finally become a rarefied resident of the state of Texas, as I closed and moved into our new home earlier this week. Mover came and delivered our household goods a day later. Good, right? Well, they refused to move my safe up the stairs, claiming they couldn't safely move it, despite the fact that I explicitly stated the requirement of where I wanted the safe to be located with my firm's relocation company. Long story shot, the safe is on the first floor (in my garage), and needs to be on the second floor. Any suggestions on how to safely, efficiently, and economically move it up a flight of stairs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
IMO, there is no advantage to having it upstairs. Keep it on the first floor. You're welcome. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Excaliber »

WildBill wrote:
lbuehler325 wrote:Okay, glad to finally become a rarefied resident of the state of Texas, as I closed and moved into our new home earlier this week. Mover came and delivered our household goods a day later. Good, right? Well, they refused to move my safe up the stairs, claiming they couldn't safely move it, despite the fact that I explicitly stated the requirement of where I wanted the safe to be located with my firm's relocation company. Long story shot, the safe is on the first floor (in my garage), and needs to be on the second floor. Any suggestions on how to safely, efficiently, and economically move it up a flight of stairs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
IMO, there is no advantage to having it upstairs. Keep it on the first floor. You're welcome. :tiphat:
WildBill's advice here is solid.

880 pounds before contents are added is a heck of a lot of weight.

Do you have an engineering analysis for the second floor location you have in mind that says putting that much weight where you want it won't result in the safe causing a structural collapse that would leave it it sitting in the room directly below on the first floor anyway?

If that happens, mama won't be happy, and your insurance company will almost certainly deny coverage.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Piney

Post by Piney »

Not only is it a heck of a lot of weight-- its all in one small footprint. There's a strong chance that at minimum the floor (and ceiling...) underneath will begin to sag (and crack).

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Not to mention the even smaller foot print on each stair while attempting to get it up there. I, too, think the first floor is a good and logical place for it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
lbuehler325

Post by lbuehler325 »

Structurally, the location planned is fine (wider safe distributes the load), wedged in between two major load bearing walls). Mamma will certainly not be happy if we leave the safe downstairs (all open/common areas), as she really doesn't want to publish that we have a large safe "for our passports, marriage license, and some other important documents". I'd prefer visitors not even think about our "documents". That said, any suggestions on how to get it up the stairs?
RLTW!

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

[youtube][/youtube]

Topic author
lbuehler325

Post by lbuehler325 »

uthornsfan wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Now we're cooking with gasoline! Next, where do I get a climbing hand truck around DFW?
RLTW!

FishInTx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FishInTx »

I'm assuming that the moving company didn't want to move the safe up the stairs not that they couldn't or didn't have the technology. Try contacting another moving company and see if they have a stair climbing dolly that could handle the safe?

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

I agree about contacting another moving company, or a perhaps a safe company. He makes it look pretty easy in the video, but I wouldn't want the first time I tried this to be in my house. At least a moving company should have insurance in case anything happens.

Brian
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Piney wrote:Not only is it a heck of a lot of weight-- its all in one small footprint. There's a strong chance that at minimum the floor (and ceiling...) underneath will begin to sag (and crack).
Just to note that I have a fairly well-equipped home gym on my 10-year-old second-floor "Game Room." I have a standalone power rack with high and low cables, about 800 pounds in free-weight plates, and dumbbell racks from 10 to 65 in 5-pound increments...which equates to 900 pounds in dumbbells alone.

But, as Piney implied, all my weights are distributed around the room, on the load-bearing points.

I think a huge consideration is the construction of the house.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

speedsix
Posts in topic: 4

Post by speedsix »

...at the LEAST...I'd set the safe on a sheet of 3/4" plywood laid across the floor joists...I'd leave it downstairs and use the money I didn't spend to move it upstairs on a less expensive, much smaller safe for defensive weapons in the bedroom...long and short...

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Call a local safe store and they should be able to help you locate the equipment you're looking for.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

shooter76blue

Post by shooter76blue »

Another idea is calling a local gun store that sells safes. They usually have a company they use to deliver their product.
Shooter

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

You might want to check with a company that sells vending machines. Those dollies are used a lot for moving vending machines.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”