Springfield EMP 40 Rusting

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
OrangeAnimal
Posts in topic: 17

Springfield EMP 40 Rusting

Post by OrangeAnimal »

Yeah that's right after carrying it for several days I noticed the mag release, grip screws, and either the backstrap safety lever or something inside there was starting to rust! I am no doubt irritated about this. I went to downtown NOLA and was walking around it was hot and humid and I was no doubt sweating and pulled it out after I got home to find rusty stains on my skin and on the gun. Closer inspection you can see the rust building on the aformentioned parts. I am guessing I will have to call up Springfield but I still can't believe it would start rusting so easily. After all this is a 1000 dollar handgun meant to be concealed. I carry it in a combat cut crossbreed supertuck. I am guessing I will have to resort to something with a layer between myself and the gun. Till then I have been carrying my sig p238 which even after sweating and wearing it all day for several days now has no sign of rusting.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Springfield EMP 40 Rusting

Post by E.Marquez »

Please keep us posted. The EMP has the same basic construction as the Springfield Micro Compact Im wanting to get in the next few weeks.

Watching.. thanks
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
OrangeAnimal

Post by OrangeAnimal »

I am about to call them now. Will keep you posted!

Topic author
OrangeAnimal

Post by OrangeAnimal »

Well I called and spoke with someone in customer service. They said no prob. send it to us and we will fix it up. I assume some new grip screws and a mag release will be on it once I get it back. She stated that it would take 2-4 weeks to get it back to me. Also if lost or damaged they will replace the gun free of charge. They provide their own insurance. Sounds to me even if you have trouble with your Springfield Armory gun aside from a small inconvience they will take care of you. I will be sending it off tomorrow am and we will see how well they handle it.

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Divided Attention »

Went through this myself with my M&P 9C - got a new slide and takedown lever because - well I guess I have mean sweat. I always wear an under shirt and carry IWB all leather Tucker holster. I wipe down with a cloth each night. Less than 6 months later, both slide add take down were rusting worse than ever. This is my favorite EDC, so I wasn't willing to send it to S&W for a week or 2 every 6 mos. So I got all the metal ceracoated. So far, about 6 weeks later and some long sweaty days working with cows and in the yard in the Houston heat all looks good! Dale Honeycutt with Grip Reductions only had it a week!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Topic author
OrangeAnimal

Post by OrangeAnimal »

Yeah I am thinking about having some sort of coating applied. I was thinking about it before this happened. It's just so humid here there isn't much I can do about it. This only took two days to develope. I am going to ask Springfield about doing some work to it. It's a nice gun. I enjoy shooting it and am seriously accurate with it. Till I get it back I am carrying my next favorite piece. Sig P238. I love this little thing. Best of all it's not rusting LOL.

rl168

Post by rl168 »

That's what I like about Springfield, their CS is good. Does your holster has sweat shield? I carry mine in Texas heat but my holster shield most of the gun from my body, except for the part on the grip where the MSH pin is.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

OrangeAnimal wrote:Well I called and spoke with someone in customer service. They said no prob. send it to us and we will fix it up. I assume some new grip screws and a mag release will be on it once I get it back. She stated that it would take 2-4 weeks to get it back to me. Also if lost or damaged they will replace the gun free of charge. They provide their own insurance. Sounds to me even if you have trouble with your Springfield Armory gun aside from a small inconvience they will take care of you. I will be sending it off tomorrow am and we will see how well they handle it.
That's great that they are willing to take care of you so quickly. Are they going to replace the old parts with kind or something different or better? If they replace in kind, what is to prevent the new parts from rusting?
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
OrangeAnimal

Post by OrangeAnimal »

I won't know till they recieve it. I will post back when they give me an answer.

adamcsills

Post by adamcsills »

As someone who was born and raised in Ohio, anything over 85 is heat stroke territory :)

I sweat a lot in Texas and have been through some rust issues. If it rusted once, it'll keep doing it. I temporarily solved the problem by using gun oil on the outside of the gun (letting it soak for a few minutes, then wiping it dry), but that never really lasts very long. I recently switched to Frog Lube and haven't had any rust issues. Clean the outside of my guns with Frog Lube, wipe them dry, they have a great rust-proof coating now. Just repeat that occasionally depending on what I subject them to. Note that Frog Lube recommends applying while hot (you can use a heat gun) and I've never done that and it still works rather well.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

adamcsills wrote:I temporarily solved the problem by using gun oil on the outside of the gun (letting it soak for a few minutes, then wiping it dry), but that never really lasts very long.
Eezox stopped my rust issues -- leaves a clean dry film and it is working great.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Back in the "olden days" before all the stainless steel and wonder coatings we knew how to keep a gun from rusting. There are several old time products, still on the market, that worked amazingly well. One is called "RIG", another is Birchwood Casey "Sheath" we would apply these products daily and never had problems. A light coat of protectant on non stainless parts and even on stainless isn't a bad idea. Daily inspection is the answer to, "How do I keep my carry piece rust free?"
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

+1 for the Eezox. Since I started using that a year ago, I have had no problems with rust, slide friction, or cleaning.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

MoJo wrote:Back in the "olden days" before all the stainless steel and wonder coatings we knew how to keep a gun from rusting. There are several old time products, still on the market, that worked amazingly well. One is called "RIG", another is Birchwood Casey "Sheath" we would apply these products daily and never had problems. A light coat of protectant on non stainless parts and even on stainless isn't a bad idea. Daily inspection is the answer to, "How do I keep my carry piece rust free?"
:iagree: In the olden days I remember many shooters who had a patch on their vests or shooting jackets: "I always RIG my guns." :cool:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
OrangeAnimal

Post by OrangeAnimal »

Well my whole deal is that I have a 500 dollar gun it doesn't rust so that means this to me. How can I accept a 1100 dollar gun that rusts unless I baby it. The 500 dollar gun is a sig p238 so no it not that its plastic that keeps it from rusting lol. I can tell you this the person I spoke with was surprised I said it was rusting. Said that she had never heard anyone with that complaint.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”