Urgent: XDs recall...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 30

Re: Urgent: XDs recall...

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I had mine to the range last Monday, and it was fine. The trigger might have been just a little stiffer, but not so much that I really noticed it. By the way, I found a good carry round for it: Hornady 185 grain Critical Defense. Per Hornady, it gets 900 fps and 333 ft lb at the muzzle out of a 3" barrel. It feels like it has a fair amount more "pop" than a 230 grain FMJ, but it isn't painful or anything. Plus, the shape of the nose practically guarantees it will never misfeed.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 40

Post by Excaliber »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I had mine to the range last Monday, and it was fine. The trigger might have been just a little stiffer, but not so much that I really noticed it. By the way, I found a good carry round for it: Hornady 185 grain Critical Defense. Per Hornady, it gets 900 fps and 333 ft lb at the muzzle out of a 3" barrel. It feels like it has a fair amount more "pop" than a 230 grain FMJ, but it isn't painful or anything. Plus, the shape of the nose practically guarantees it will never misfeed.
I deliberately fed mine a mix of every type of carry round I had in my bag of "retired" carry rounds (those I changed out because they'd been in the magazine more than 1 year) and it ate everything with aplomb and was not punishing with any of them, including the +P's.

I like the Critical Defense rounds, but didn't have any of those to try yesterday. I agree that the bullet shape which is more conical than rounded should feed in even balky guns, but I can't say I've verified that with testing. Fortunately the XDS isn't a fussy eater.

I stopped looking for the "perfect bullet" quite awhile back. Any premium hollowpoint (Hornady XTP, Speer Gold Dot, Critcal Defense, etc.) will do what I need done as long as I do my part. If I don't, there's no magic bullet that will make up for my failure to perform. I generally prefer the standard velocity rounds because I can shoot those more accurately and quickly than the +P's in a little gun, and I think that outweighs the small compromise in velocity.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I had mine to the range last Monday, and it was fine. The trigger might have been just a little stiffer, but not so much that I really noticed it. By the way, I found a good carry round for it: Hornady 185 grain Critical Defense. Per Hornady, it gets 900 fps and 333 ft lb at the muzzle out of a 3" barrel. It feels like it has a fair amount more "pop" than a 230 grain FMJ, but it isn't painful or anything. Plus, the shape of the nose practically guarantees it will never misfeed.
I deliberately fed mine a mix of every type of carry round I had in my bag of "retired" carry rounds (those I changed out because they'd been in the magazine more than 1 year) and it ate everything with aplomb and was not punishing with any of them, including the +P's.

I like the Critical Defense rounds, but didn't have any of those to try yesterday. I agree that the bullet shape which is more conical than rounded should feed in even balky guns, but I can't say I've verified that with testing. Fortunately the XDS isn't a fussy eater.

I stopped looking for the "perfect bullet" quite awhile back. Any premium hollowpoint (Hornady XTP, Speer Gold Dot, Critcal Defense, etc.) will do what I need done as long as I do my part. If I don't, there's no magic bullet that will make up for my failure to perform.

I generally prefer the standard velocity rounds because I can shoot those more accurately and quickly than the +P's in a little gun, and I think that outweighs the small compromise in velocity.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

GlockDude26
Posts in topic: 3

Post by GlockDude26 »

i recently got a hold of xds .45 number two and took it to the range saturday morning. i qualified for my chl with my first one and later traded it plus some cash for an ultra carry. after a while that big heavy kimber wasn't worth the 2 extra rounds and it's hard to beat that width of the xds too. from what i remember of my first one the post recal version was only a little bit stiffer. i didn't have any problems until i was well into my second box, and that was just me getting tired and jerking the trigger. so as long as i don't have any 100 rd shootouts i'll be fine :coolgleamA:
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

The Annoyed Man

Excaliber wrote:

I stopped looking for the "perfect bullet" quite awhile back. Any premium hollowpoint (Hornady XTP, Speer Gold Dot, Critcal Defense, etc.) will do what I need done as long as I do my part. If I don't, there's no magic bullet that will make up for my failure to perform.

I generally prefer the standard velocity rounds because I can shoot those more accurately and quickly than the +P's in a little gun, and I think that outweighs the small compromise in velocity.
The Hornady isn't catalogued as +P. It comes by the higher velocity in short barrels by virtue of lighter weight. I don't think of it as a magic pill or anything, I just have greater confidence in the bullet performing as designed if the velocity is up to snuff. A 230 grain bullet going 750-800 fps out of a short barrel is still going to hurt someone badly, and penetrate relatively deeply, but the bullet may not have enough velocity to fully deform........or maybe it will.....that's the problem, not being confident that it will. A bullet going 900 fps likely will perform.......at least that's what I keep telling myself. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

The Hornady isn't catalogued as +P. It comes by the higher velocity in short barrels by virtue of lighter weight. I don't think of it as a magic pill or anything, I just have greater confidence in the bullet performing as designed if the velocity is up to snuff. A 230 grain bullet going 750-800 fps out of a short barrel is still going to hurt someone badly, and penetrate relatively deeply, but the bullet may not have enough velocity to fully deform........or maybe it will.....that's the problem, not being confident that it will. A bullet going 900 fps likely will perform.......at least that's what I keep telling myself. :lol:
The nice thing about a .45 is that it starts out making a hole as big as smaller rounds hope to get to but sometimes don't.

If it expands, so much the better, but if not, it's still plenty potent.

I'll have to get a box of the Critical Defense rounds and give them a try.
Excaliber

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

According to last Friday's update, SA is now turning guns around in about 3 weeks.

It looks like they've got this thing pretty well under control.
Excaliber

timdsmith72
Posts in topic: 1

Post by timdsmith72 »

Just got mine back. Springfield received it January 27th and I got it back Friday, Feb. 28th.
I never fired it before sending it off, but based on dry firing, the trigger feels slightly heavier than before. It's still very smooth though. I'm happy with it.
Now to find time to hit the range.

bagman45
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bagman45 »

Quick update on the XDs mess. I bought mine a couple of years ago and didn't have any of the recall issues and carried it every day, but realized that I'd eventually have to send it in. I did register early on, so have been getting the updates every Friday and have been watching the forums for reviews of guns that have been "upgraded". Finally sent my .45 off a couple of weeks ago, and got it back in 10 DAYS!!! Trigger is no worse than original on my gun, but mag release is different. Got the free extended mag, mag sleeve and little carry case. Shoots just like it did before. Only issue I have is that the extended mag seem to hang up when releasing - seems to be because it's getting stuck on the heel of my fat hand ;) Guess I need stop being lazy and get back to releasing the mag with my off hand like I should.... Happy to have it back in my holster!!!

SO, for anyone still waiting, go ahead and send it in. You won't have to wait long to get it back on in play!

Cheers!!

Blindref757
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Blindref757 »

After reading and discussing here, some of you talked me into getting mine serviced. I sent it in March 13th and had it back on March 23rd. The trigger is different...not bad, but more like most of the other smaller profile pistols in this category (LC9, Nano, Shield, etc). It isn't what it was, but I guess if it is safer, it is better. Maybe I'll send it in for a trigger job one of these days.

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 12

Post by LTUME1978 »

After a second trip back to the factory (where they replaced a lot of the parts they installed in the first "recall" trip), then lots of dry and live firing, the trigger pull on my 2 XDs are down to around 6 1/2 pounds. Still a long trigger pull on them. The sights were off a good bit on both of them. I was able to move the rear sight on one and got it sighted in. Need to work on the other one next. Those rear sights are really installed with a lot of interference fit, don't think they will fall out. I will keep them for the time being but am really liking the Shield I bought while these were at the factory last fall.

The Annoyed Man

LTUME1978 wrote:After a second trip back to the factory (where they replaced a lot of the parts they installed in the first "recall" trip), then lots of dry and live firing, the trigger pull on my 2 XDs are down to around 6 1/2 pounds. Still a long trigger pull on them. The sights were off a good bit on both of them. I was able to move the rear sight on one and got it sighted in. Need to work on the other one next. Those rear sights are really installed with a lot of interference fit, don't think they will fall out. I will keep them for the time being but am really liking the Shield I bought while these were at the factory last fall.
What happened with the first set of "upgrades"? Were the pistols malfunctioning, or just not working as well as you had hoped? Did you post details earlier that I missed?

#TINVOWOOT

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 12

Post by LTUME1978 »

I did post but that was months ago. The first time they came back, the trigger pull was extremely heavy on both pistols. I talked to customer service and they gave me the specification on the weight of pull for the recall trigger. Both of mine were above that so they issued a call tag and had another go at it. The replacement parts (paper work seemed to indicate that they may be version 2 of the recall trigger parts) were installed on the second trip. Trigger pull is now probably about as good as can be expected.

Weg
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Weg »

I just took mine to the FEDEX facility with the label Springfield sent me, they did not ask what it was. Don't think they can ship it to anyone but you though. But sure about that one.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”