Gun you would buy if you could find it...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
AlaskanInTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Gun you would buy if you could find it...

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

I'll start: Marlin 1895sbl ss/laminate in .45-70

I see them online now and again, but there was a period of time there where the workmanship was horrendous, so I've got to see it in person before I buy it.

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Gun you would buy if you could find it...

Post by ShootDontTalk »

I'd like to find the Garand my father-in-law carried from D-Day until VE Day. Fat chance!
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Upon his retirement from the US Cavalry in 1898, my great-grandfather was presented with an engraved Mauser C96 in 7.63x25 Mauser. This gun remained in the family until my father passed away, and despite my grandfather's wish that the gun pass to me, due to family infighting and such it did not and was sold at auction with notice to me. I would still buy it, if I could find it.

I have my other grandfather's M1 Carbine and his saber.
Attachments
Mauser C96a.jpg
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Winchester pump action tube feed exposed hammer .22 like my great uncle had is one. Either my uncle or cousin now has it. The second would be a Savage 99 in .243 with the rotary magazine. My grandfather had one that is now with a different uncle. There are others, of course, but these are the top two on my list.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

VMI77
Posts in topic: 4

Post by VMI77 »

Too many to count or keep.....but I'd love to have a Brown Bess from the Revolutionary War. The pair of dueling pistols from the Burr-Hamilton duel.

An original 1851 Colt Navy. Just about any original Civil War firearm. A Trapdoor Springfield. I could go on and on....but have neither the space or the money.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AlaskanInTexas wrote:I'll start: Marlin 1895sbl ss/laminate in .45-70

[ Image ]

I see them online now and again, but there was a period of time there where the workmanship was horrendous, so I've got to see it in person before I buy it.
Good choice. I've had my eye on that one for a while. My son's shop had one in for a while, but it went fairly quickly. Haven't seen one in person since then.

I already own my dad's 1943 Ithaca 1911A1 from WW2 (there's a story that comes with it), and I own a nearly perfect 1943 Inland M1 Carbine just like the one he carried ashore at Iwo Jima, but I would like to own a 40s vintage Garand........although I'd take a later one without complaint......even though he didn't carry one himself.

There a few rare guns I can think of that I would buy if I could find them if money were no object, but they are the hen's teeth of the gun world.

— I'd like to own Karamojo Bell's .275 Rigby (http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... 275-rigby/), but I seriously doubt I could ever afford it, unless A) I didn't mind being homeless and single, and B) it was for sale.

— I'd like to own Shifty Powers' Garand.

— I'd like an authentic but shootable and mechanically sound Single Action Army Colt.

— I'd like an authentic GI issue M-14 with "pew" and "pew pew pew" selector switch.

— I'd like to own Jeff Cooper's custom built scout rifle.

— I'd like to own a Sharps "Quigley" rifle.

— I'd like to own an authentic M2 Carbine with operational "pew" and "pew pew pew" selector switch.

— I'd like to own a true select-fire SBR built on a gas-piston M4 platform.

— A GA Precision M40-A3, built on a left-handed action.

However, money being an object, and therefore under the broader heading of guns that I can realistically afford and would buy at the confluence of opportunity and bank balance, and in no particular order of preference (and in addition to the above mentioned Marlin Guide Gun):

— A 4" or 6" Ruger GP100 in .357 magnum.

— A clean 4" Colt Python, .357 Magnum.

— A 6" S&W Model 629.

— A Mossberg MVP Patrol Rifle in 5.56/.223.

— A suppressed Ruger 22/45 pistol.

— A suppressed .22 LR bolt gun - left handed, box-magazine fed, not partial to brand, but accuracy is important.

— A Marlin 336 (older vintage) in .44 Magnum (to match my already-owned Model 29).

— A late model S&W revolver in .45 ACP.

— A FN SCAR 16 (already own the 17S)

— A Browning Citori Over and Under in 12 gauge.

— A higher cap full-sized 9mm for pistol competition (probably my next purchase)....probably looking at a G17.

Under the heading of projects underway:

— A 10.5" SBR upper on a Spikes Tactical Gen II Billet Lower kit with Timney trigger. (Still haven't decided on whether to make it a gas-piston gun or not. Gas piston will eliminate using the Troy PDW stock kit.)

And finally, under the heading of accessories which are on the "to-buy ASAP" list:

— A 5.56 caliber suppressor to match the .30 caliber suppressor I already am waiting for a stamp for.

— An Adams Arms gas piston conversion kit for my wife's AR carbine.

— An extended magazine tube, shorter barrel, and ghost ring sight kit to convert my Benelli Super Black Eagle II to tactical use for 3 gun matches.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

It's a fairly short list, but if I found them for sale, as a price equitable to me (fat chance!), I would snatch up in a heartbeat:

1) Original "short-rail" CZ 75
2) Savage 99 in .358 Winchester
3) Winchester 88 in .358 Winchester

I already have most of my other "grail guns;" all that's left is a Glock 43, which while not being anything special, much less a "grail gun," is still in short supply and long demand, due to the newness and brand reputation.

Edited to add:
4) The brushed-nickel 5" S&W 27-2 that I foolishly sold off several years ago. I want it back.

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

VMI77 wrote: Snip ******

An original 1851 Colt Navy. Just about any original Civil War firearm. A Trapdoor Springfield. I could go on and on....but have neither the space or the money.
Incredible but true. A rather eccentric friend of my dad wanted to go shooting with us. Dad said he didn't even know the guy owned a gun. He showed up with an ORIGINAL 1851 Navy in a wooden box. Didn't have anything to load in it, because he had no idea how to do so. We almost fainted. I think the guy sold it to finance getting his XKE Jaguar tuned up. :banghead:
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

[ Image ]

Good choice. I've had my eye on that one for a while. My son's shop had one in for a while, but it went fairly quickly. Haven't seen one in person since then.

I already own my dad's 1943 Ithaca 1911A1 from WW2 (there's a story that comes with it), and I own a nearly perfect 1943 Inland M1 Carbine just like the one he carried ashore at Iwo Jima, but I would like to own a 40s vintage Garand........although I'd take a later one without complaint......even though he didn't carry one himself.
Get with the CMP about that Garand. It's only a printer & a trip to the UPS store away.

With the prices they have now, its a welfare rifle.
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I have a few on my list, but the one I would probably be willing to borrow money for (as in put on my credit card) is a Smith & Wesson Model 25 revolver in 45acp, with a 6 inch barrel and target sights, trigger, and hammer. I think (but am not positive) that this was the Model 1955 Target before they moved to 2 digit model numbers.

I have had it twice and always regretted selling them. If I got one now, it would never be sold by me.
Steve Rothstein

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

texasmusic wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

[ Image ]

Get with the CMP about that Garand. It's only a printer & a trip to the UPS store away.

I note that of the two "Special" grade Garands being offered, one is chambered in .308 instead of .30-06. I have 3 other rifles in that caliber, so ammo would be convenient. I know that the .30-06 rifles are authentic, but I was wondering if there was any reason other than that to NOT buy a .308 chambered Garand. On the other hand, maybe .30-06 is easier to find when ammo gets scarce.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

A Japanese Type 38 Arisaka Carbine (6.5mm) in excellent condition with the bolt cover and the chrysanthemum stamp intact. We had one like that when I was a teenager back in the 80s and my dad had to let it go because the family had some financial issues. He took at least two deer with it using Norma ammo. It must have been carried by some rear-area soldier during the war because it had such little cosmetic damage, the rifling was great and it worked perfectly. I've seen some rough Type 99 rifles in 7.7mm but those Type 38s are pretty rare, especially the carbines.

texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
texasmusic wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

[ Image ]

I note that of the two "Special" grade Garands being offered, one is chambered in .308 instead of .30-06. I have 3 other rifles in that caliber, so ammo would be convenient. I know that the .30-06 rifles are authentic, but I was wondering if there was any reason other than that to NOT buy a .308 chambered Garand. On the other hand, maybe .30-06 is easier to find when ammo gets scarce.
Get the 30-06 & then the 308. :mrgreen:

Havent heard any bad things about the 308 rifles, the criterion barrels are supposed to be top notch. Of course you won't get USGI wood on the special grade, the price is considerably higher. Service grade will be a mismatch of different stuff, but if you include a kind note with your order, they usually do their best to accommodate. CMP forums have a wealth of info & order timelines etc.
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

ShootDontTalk wrote:I'd like to find the Garand my father-in-law carried from D-Day until VE Day. Fat chance!
Have you tried? Do you have serial number? I can't imagine how you would even start the search. Perhaps post it on every gun forum and auction house you can find.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”