Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Ruger SR1911 vs Glock 17L

Post by drjoker »

OK,

I've heard online that the 1911 is not reliable. It is only reliable with ball ammo. But these are just internet rumors. I was wondering, How many jams / misfires / FTF / FTE / failures to fire have you ever experienced with your Ruger SR1911? This is with what round count on the gun? I want to figure out the probability of failure with a quality 1911 that is priced similarly to a Glock. I am especially interested in your round count of hollow points and the number of failures with hollow points.

I have a Glock 19 that I bought when they first came out with them, a Gen 2 (the Gen 1 G19s were only very early production with just a few sample models produced for gunwriters and other "market leaders"). I have shot the snot out of it with a round count of 1700. I have never had a failure to fire of any sort. Not with laquer wolf ammo, reloads, lead ball, hollow points, copper ball, etc.

What about your 1911?

I'm thinking about buying either a full size 1911 or a Glock 17L.

Thanks.

P.S. I have had ONE failure with my Glock 26 when it was new and not lubed. After I cleaned and lubed it, the G26 ran just fine. The round count with the G26 is very low, 100 rounds.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Ruger SR1911 vs Glock 17L

Post by WildBill »

drjoker wrote:I want to figure out the probability of failure with a quality 1911 that is priced similarly to a Glock.
I may be wrong, but I don't think that you can buy a quality 1911 that is priced similarly to a Glock.
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

WildBill wrote:
drjoker wrote:I want to figure out the probability of failure with a quality 1911 that is priced similarly to a Glock.
I may be wrong, but I don't think that you can buy a quality 1911 that is priced similarly to a Glock.
Even if the 17L is around $700, a quality 1911 is still going to be $100-$200 more at the least.

Then there's the purpose for having either one. The 17L cannot be used for IDPA because the barrel is too long and it won't fit in the box. It would make an awesome 3-gun handgun.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

I have had zero problems with my Ruger CMD 1911 and that includes ball ammo and self defense ammo. I would estimate round count of about 1200 rounds.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Topic author
drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

The Glock 17L is $600, offered to me by another forum member (unfortunately he lives several hundreds of miles away and won't mail it). The Ruger SR1911 is $667 at Grabagun in Carrollton. I would rather have a S&W 1911 with the accessory rail but that's over $1300! So, I plan on buying the Ruger SR1911 without a rail and use my 3d printer to make a rail for it. The rail would be attached to the gun as a part of the handle scales and with set screws to tighten around the trigger guard and bottom of the frame.

The Ruger should be a quality 1911, but I just want to double check. I mean, it is made in the USA, has a lifetime warranty (not written), and not made of Fillipino parts assembled in the USA. The NRA says it is a 2 inch group gun at 25 yards.

I'm thinking about gussying it up to use as an open carry BBQ gun to carry at NRA shindigs and gun club parties. monogrammed scrimshaw ivory handles, gold plated safety switch/hammer/trigger, and polished slide with a stingray skin holster. Heehaw, pardner! :txflag: :tiphat:
C-dub wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Even if the 17L is around $700, a quality 1911 is still going to be $100-$200 more at the least.

Then there's the purpose for having either one. The 17L cannot be used for IDPA because the barrel is too long and it won't fit in the box. It would make an awesome 3-gun handgun.
Something like this:

The 17L would be awesome for a GSSF match, though. I've never shot an IDPA match before, just GSSF.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

A properly put together 1911 is AS reliable as any Glock.......and they don't kaboom. And, they tend to be really accurate. When you have a chance to actually shoot a 1911, you'll understand why the platform's followers are so loyal to it. A certain number of high-speed low-drag operators still insist on carrying a 1911 into battle. Chris Kyle carried one - a Springfield TRP, if I recall - during some of his deployments to Iraq. It is a wonderful platform, and you'll find that, in the hand, it doesn't feel anywhere near as bulky as a Glock.

On the other hand, only 8 rounds fit in a (5") 1911 versus about a million in a Glock17. If you scratch your 1911, you'll probably cry and then get drunk and hold a wake for it with bagpipe music. If you scratch your Glock 17, you might not even notice, let alone anyone else. A Glock 17 looks fine in any old piece of crap holster, but a nice 1911 requires an expensive custom holster and hand-tooled belt.

Unless you get an alloy-framed 1911, it is likely to be heavier than a G17. And, you'll have to adapt to a different manual of arms, since a 1911 is pretty useless unless carried cocked and locked......which can be a psychological (but unnecessarily so) hurdle for some people to overcome.

And, when Open Carry goes into effect, if you OC your Glock, you're just another guy with a gun; but when you OC your 1911, you become the cool guy who is both a scholar, gentleman, and warrior monk with a knowledge of fine wine.

If I ever deliberately OC, it is as likely to be my 5" Springfield 1911 as any of my other guns, including a Glock 19 we own.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

That TRP is sharp! I'm not quite in the market for a 1911 yet, but I had to bookmark that one.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

drjoker wrote:
Something like this:
[ Image ]
Tricking out a 1911 like this will easily double the original price. Adding the holster and belt will add another $300.
NRA Endowment Member

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

drjoker wrote:The Glock 17L is $600, offered to me by another forum member (unfortunately he lives several hundreds of miles away and won't mail it). The Ruger SR1911 is $667 at Grabagun in Carrollton. I would rather have a S&W 1911 with the accessory rail but that's over $1300! So, I plan on buying the Ruger SR1911 without a rail and use my 3d printer to make a rail for it. The rail would be attached to the gun as a part of the handle scales and with set screws to tighten around the trigger guard and bottom of the frame.

The Ruger should be a quality 1911, but I just want to double check. I mean, it is made in the USA, has a lifetime warranty (not written), and not made of Fillipino parts assembled in the USA. The NRA says it is a 2 inch group gun at 25 yards.

I'm thinking about gussying it up to use as an open carry BBQ gun to carry at NRA shindigs and gun club parties. monogrammed scrimshaw ivory handles, gold plated safety switch/hammer/trigger, and polished slide with a stingray skin holster. Heehaw, pardner! :txflag: :tiphat:
C-dub wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Something like this:
[ Image ]

The 17L would be awesome for a GSSF match, though. I've never shot an IDPA match before, just GSSF.
You might check GT DISTRIBUTORS in Dallas for pricing as well.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ShootDontTalk »

WildBill wrote: I may be wrong, but I don't think that you can buy a quality 1911 that is priced similarly to a Glock.
I agree. Glocks serve a different function than 1911's. Rest assured that there is no firearm ever made that hasn't suffered a kaboom. Don't worry about that issue. Throw in that the poorest selling Glock model, by itself, has probably sold more units than all civilian made 1911's ever made and you have two guns with different purposes. If you need what the Glock offers, buy a Glock. It will reliably provide what you need forever.

If you want a quality 1911, it is going to be more expensive than any Glock. If you want a ready-made BBQ 1911, get your checkbook ready for a shock. Reliability wise, the inexpensive 1911 will be hard pressed to match a Glock, though some might. I would not buy a cheap 1911. Buy a good quality 1911 (in .45) and be done with it. You won't ever regret it. My opinion.

BTW a quality combat style 1911 (5in barrel) in .45, with good ammo, will deliver 2 inch (or better) groups in a machine rest at 50 yards. My competition NRA Bullseye gun regularly shot .5 inch groups with match ammo in a machine rest at 50 yards.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

DevilDawg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DevilDawg »

I have zero input for the Glock other than you will get far more capacity than with a 1911.

I have owned and enjoyed a Ruger SR1911 ever since they first became availablein my market. I paid $550 for it new, I am not sure what they cost now. Zero problems. Shoots better than I can and loves cheap range ammo and HP. I can conservatively say I have 2,500 rounds through it so far. Plus my buddies from overseas love shooting it when here and they bring 500rds each time.

Now for the contiversial part. I switched to Froglube on all my pistols. They love it including this 1911. No petro based cleaners or lubes.

For those within the gov't using snooping programs before your little act gets defended tomorrow night. :patriot: All above pistols were lost in the flooding last week. Sorry, check in the Galveston Bay Area for them.

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

DevilDawg wrote:I have zero input for the Glock other than you will get far more capacity than with a 1911.

I have owned and enjoyed a Ruger SR1911 ever since they first became availablein my market. I paid $550 for it new, I am not sure what they cost now. Zero problems. Shoots better than I can and loves cheap range ammo and HP. I can conservatively say I have 2,500 rounds through it so far. Plus my buddies from overseas love shooting it when here and they bring 500rds each time.

Now for the contiversial part. I switched to Froglube on all my pistols. They love it including this 1911. No petro based cleaners or lubes.

For those within the gov't using snooping programs before your little act gets defended tomorrow night. :patriot: All above pistols were lost in the flooding last week. Sorry, check in the Galveston Bay Area for them.
+1 on the FrogLube

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

ShootDontTalk wrote:
WildBill wrote: I may be wrong, but I don't think that you can buy a quality 1911 that is priced similarly to a Glock.
I agree. Glocks serve a different function than 1911's. Rest assured that there is no firearm ever made that hasn't suffered a kaboom. Don't worry about that issue. Throw in that the poorest selling Glock model, by itself, has probably sold more units than all civilian made 1911's ever made and you have two guns with different purposes. If you need what the Glock offers, buy a Glock. It will reliably provide what you need forever.

If you want a quality 1911, it is going to be more expensive than any Glock. If you want a ready-made BBQ 1911, get your checkbook ready for a shock. Reliability wise, the inexpensive 1911 will be hard pressed to match a Glock, though some might. I would not buy a cheap 1911. Buy a good quality 1911 (in .45) and be done with it. You won't ever regret it. My opinion.

BTW a quality combat style 1911 (5in barrel) in .45, with good ammo, will deliver 2 inch (or better) groups in a machine rest at 50 yards. My competition NRA Bullseye gun regularly shot .5 inch groups with match ammo in a machine rest at 50 yards.
Poorest selling Glock outselling all Civilian 1911s? I think you need to provide some facts to back up your opinion.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”