Limits on Powder & Primer Storage

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
4t5
Posts in topic: 2

Limits on Powder & Primer Storage

Post by 4t5 »

I live within the city limits of Houston. I was under the impression that I was limited to 1# of black powder, 20# of smokeless, and 10,000 primers. I thought that the quantities were limited by some draconian fire code that had been adopted by most municipalities in the country. I want to stay legal, but I also don't want to limit myself based upon false assumptions. I have gotten the drift that, even though cities may limit storage, state law may limit the limitation. Confused yet? I am. Somebody clue me in about this.

HankB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Limits on Powder & Primer Storage

Post by HankB »

Most reloading manuals have the relevant sections of the National Fire Code (is that the correct term?) included, which spells out suggestions on powder storage . . . I don't recall anything about primers.

I believe the fire marshall up around DFW decided to harass Cheaper Than Dirt in regard to ammunition storage . . . but they're a commercial entity, subject to periodic inspections.

I have NEVER heard of any private individual getting into hot water because he'd stored too much in the way of ordinary reloading components in his home.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

boomerang
Posts in topic: 1

Post by boomerang »

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/do ... 229.001.00

§ 229.001. FIREARMS; EXPLOSIVES. (a) A municipality may not adopt regulations relating to the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearm supplies.
(b) Subsection (a) does not affect the authority a municipality has under another law to:
(5) regulate the storage or transportation of explosives to protect public health and safety, except that 25 pounds or less of black powder for each private residence and 50 pounds or less of black powder for each retail dealer are not subject to regulation;
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Topic author
4t5
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 4t5 »

Thanks, Boomerang, this is the info that I was looking for.

The state law specifies "a municipality." What about counties? Are they treated the same, on a technical basis? Because, after some research, I discovered that it is Harris County that has adopted this nightmare of a fire code.

http://www.eng.hctx.net/permits/firecod ... E_REGS.pdf
SECTION 101.8 - BASIS FOR REGULATION. The Harris County Fire Code shall consist of ... the International Fire Code, 2003 Edition,...

http://www2.rigov.org/pdf/inspections/2 ... reCode.pdf
(2003 Int'l FIre Code)
3306.4.1 Black powder and smokeless propellants. Propellants for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 pounds of black powder or 20 pounds of smokeless powder shall be stored in original containers in occupancies limited to Group R-3 [most single family dwellings]. Smokeless powder in quantities exceeding 20 pounds but not exceeding 50 pounds kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least 1 inch nominal thickness shall be allowed to be stored in occupancies limited to Group R-3. Quantities exceeding these amounts shall not be stored in any Group R [most residences] occupancy.
3306.4.2 Small arms primers. No more than 10,000 small arms primers shall be stored in occupancies limited to Group R-3.

Looks like I had my weights off a little. Unless I am missing something, what all this boils down to is that over 50# of BP and smokeless combined (with correct wooden storage boxes), and 10K primers is the limit based on the Harris County fire code.

The big question is, does state law trump this?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”