Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Dangerous Dogs and Use of Deadly Force

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

threoh8 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: However, if you stop and think about it, that is the same standard that we all operate under with other human beings. I'm not allowed to shoot someone because he told me......from 10-20 feet away......that he was going to whip my butt.
I think a more apt analogy would be an agitated person 10-20 feet away waving knives, yelling, "I'll cut you, man!" over and over.

How fast can a dog do the knife part of a Tueller drill? ;-)
Big dog-FAST
My old wiener dog. Get a book. Check email come back later because he's forgotten where's he's going halfway through and just decided to lay down and enjoy the sun. :biggrinjester:

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Abraham wrote:texas yankee,

Consider buying some Sudecon Decontamination Wipes and take them with you where ever you may come into contact with an attacking dog and get some of the spray on yourself or someone you care about. The wipes are very efficient at pain reduction. If you get spray in your eyes you can squeeze out some drops directly into your eyes and the pain will go away.

They're available at Defensive Devices for $1.49 or so.

Also, as I have mucho experience fending off attacking dogs with pepper spray while cycling, never spray above eye level or into the wind, for obvious reasons...

Also, an effective technique if the dog/dogs are attacking from the rear, don't turn around to spray if you're cycling. You have a great chance of crashing. Simply hold the can upside, while continuing to look ahead, press the trigger and rapidly wave it back and forth behind your back. (like the mark of Zorro)

I've actually experienced greater accuracy with effective spraying using this technique vs. spraying directly at them.

Also, if you use a stream style spray and have a direct ahead shot, aim just above the dogs head, again using the Zorro waving method rather a single stream. If you aim directly at the eyes or nose the spray will generally go low and miss.
Good to know :tiphat:

HadEmAll
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HadEmAll »

I hit a neighbor's pit bull mix in the face with stream Fox Labs Five point Three pepper spray at about 10 feet, and he took off like a rocket. Just about a half second burst, and he was gone. I saw it hit the nose, don't know if any made the eyes.

Real glad I didn't have to use one or more of the 230 grain Federal HydraShocks the Ruger SR1911 in the other hand contained, though later on I was wishing I had reversed my choices.

I won't bore you with the rest of the story, just came on to say that pepper spray seems to work on dogs, and is a quieter alternative than one or more BOOMS if the situation allows.

texas yankee
Posts in topic: 3

Post by texas yankee »

You made the right choice - you achieved the objective - shooting the dog could have brought you a bunch of problems.
What's in it for me ? :patriot:

Abraham
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Abraham »

One other consideration regarding pepper spray and dogs: Not all dogs will be discouraged even with a perfect hit in the eyes, ears, nose, mouth.

However, most will.

I had a Rottweiler attack me while out cycling. He was running to my immediate right and was getting closer and closer to my right leg when I unleashed a perfect hit of pepper spray from eyes to mouth.

He promptly dropped away and looking into my bar end mirror, I could see him stopped in the middle of the road shaking his head. Then to my horror, he restarted the chase and quickly caught back up to me. I pedal a mountain bike. They're not known for great speed unless you have a heavy wind behind you or are going downhill...

At this point, we passed by his apparent owner walking along the side of the road, who loudly commanded the dog to stop and fortunately he did.

And there was one other time I sprayed and accurately sprayed, but the dog didn't even seemed fazed. As it turned out, he didn't have enough stamina to stay with me and soon dropped off the chase, but I don't think it was the spray that stopped him. Old age maybe...

Without exaggeration, I've been dog attacked quite literally hundreds of times while out cycling. I cycle well out in the country. I've recently upped my milage from 25 miles a day to 28/30 so now I've even greater opportunity to avail myself to even more attacks. I've tried a variety of different routes, but no matter where I pedal there's always free ranging/attacking dogs. And, I'll be darned if I'm just going to stay home...

Rarely, do I go on a ride that I'm not attacked.

I buy pepper spray by the case.

I like Freeze +P - a combination of pepper spray and tear gas.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Abraham wrote:One other consideration regarding pepper spray and dogs: Not all dogs will be discouraged even with a perfect hit in the eyes, ears, nose, mouth.

However, most will.

I had a Rottweiler attack me while out cycling. He was running to my immediate right and was getting closer and closer to my right leg when I unleashed a perfect hit of pepper spray from eyes to mouth.

He promptly dropped away and looking into my bar end mirror, I could see him stopped in the middle of the road shaking his head. Then to my horror, he restarted the chase and quickly caught back up to me. I pedal a mountain bike. They're not known for great speed unless you have a heavy wind behind you or are going downhill...

At this point, we passed by his apparent owner walking along the side of the road, who loudly commanded the dog to stop and fortunately he did.

And there was one other time I sprayed and accurately sprayed, but the dog didn't even seemed fazed. As it turned out, he didn't have enough stamina to stay with me and soon dropped off the chase, but I don't think it was the spray that stopped him. Old age maybe...

Without exaggeration, I've been dog attacked quite literally hundreds of times while out cycling. I cycle well out in the country. I've recently upped my milage from 25 miles a day to 28/30 so now I've even greater opportunity to avail myself to even more attacks. I've tried a variety of different routes, but no matter where I pedal there's always free ranging/attacking dogs. And, I'll be darned if I'm just going to stay home...

Rarely, do I go on a ride that I'm not attacked.

I buy pepper spray by the case.

I like Freeze +P - a combination of pepper spray and tear gas.
Does that work the best? Do you have a reference where one can get it? I'm never bugged by myself, but with the doggies we've been attacked one too many times.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Abraham »

Cedar Park Dad,

You have a PM.

And for me, I've tried other brands of pepper spray, including Fox Labs and the Freeze +P has in my experience worked the best.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

thanks again

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Abraham wrote:And for me, I've tried other brands of pepper spray, including Fox Labs and the Freeze +P has in my experience worked the best.
If you are buying it by the case, that sure sounds like an "expert user" opinion. :lol:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”