Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 5

Changing flash hider on a .223 Wylde?

Post by tomneal »

Is this something that can be done DIY?

I have a truck (TEOTWAWKI) rifle and I am considering adding a suppressor. I like the idea of the flash hider / suppressor combination.

Is changing the comp. for a flash hider a DIY project or should I use a gunsmith?
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Changing flash hider on a .223 Wylde?

Post by Grayling813 »

If it's not pinned and welded on, I'd think you should be able to remove the existing one and put on a new one. I also like the suppressors that quick-onnect onto a compatible flash hider.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You only need to be aware of a few things:

1. The obvious one of making sure that your proposed flashhider matches the threads on your barrel.

2. Making sure that it is properly timed, if, like the A2 "birdcage", the vents have to be oriented a specific way relative to the vertical. As a general rule, "pronged" flashhiders require no timing.

3. Making sure that your desired flashhider will indeed mount your desired suppressor. The best way to guarantee this is to buy one manufactured by the suppressor manufacturer, specifically for use with that suppressor. For example, I always buy an AAC brand 51T flashhider or muzzle brake for any rifle I plan to use with my AAC suppressor.

Examples:
DOES NOT NEED TO BE TIMED

NEEDS TO BE TIMED

NEEDS TO BE TIMED

All three are 51T muzzle devices made by AAC to fit any of their 51T suppressors, but only one needs no timing.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

DanD

Post by DanD »

Don't forget you will need a new crush washer anytime you mount a new flash hider.
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I was planning to buy the flash hider and the suppressor at the same time and from the same manufacture. I did not know about timing.

I had to search for a 'crush washer'. I was worried that you were pulling my leg.

I am planning to get out the barrel, bright lights, and a magnifying glass to search for a pin. I am pretty sure it's not welded.
If it's unpinned, I'll order the parts and pay for my stamp. About a year from now, I'll be able to mount the flash hider and suppressor. Assuming that the folks in DC don't get in the way.

I remember a few years ago thinking that the HARD LOCK on suppressors was going to loosen up. And, eventually folks would consider it rude to shoot unSuppressed. Silly Me!

I told my wife "I only want one more gun". She pretended to believe me.
See you at the range

DanD

Post by DanD »

Some additional notes on the crush washer:
1. For .223, the barrel is 1/2x28 threads for a muzzle device and you will need a crush washer for that size. Yes, crush washers come in different sizes.
2. Pay attention to the crush washer orientation, there is a cup/bevel that must point away from the muzzle.
3. Here is a good video from Brownells that explains how to change a muzzle device, crush washer orientation, and muzzle device clocking: https://youtu.be/78HAjHmkTSI
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Wow
Brownells video made it look easy.
See you at the range

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I recently got my YHM Resonator out of jail. YHM recommends not using crush washers for their suppressor and includes some shims if you need them. Follow the manufacturer's directions.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by der Teufel »

troglodyte wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:02 pm I recently got my YHM Resonator out of jail. YHM recommends not using crush washers for their suppressor and includes some shims if you need them. Follow the manufacturer's directions.
That's what I've heard also. Don't use crush washers if mounting a suppressor, only shims.

Of course, I'm not an expert. I'm not a doctor nor a lawyer, either.

Your Mileage May Vary
Objects in Mirror May be Closer than They Appear
Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate
Batteries Not Included
May the Force be with You
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

tomneal wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:11 pm

I am planning to get out the barrel, bright lights, and a magnifying glass to search for a pin. I am pretty sure it's not welded.
If it's unpinned, I'll order the parts and pay for my stamp. About a year from now, I'll be able to mount the flash hider and suppressor. Assuming that the folks in DC don't get in the way.
Normally the ones that are pinned are the barrels less than 16". They pin the flash hider to make it meet the length for a rifle.

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

My barrel is 16"+
Hopefully it's not pinned
See you at the range

DanD

Post by DanD »

Here is another video from Brownells that explains why and how to use shims instead of a crush washer for a muzzle device that will be used with a suppressor.
https://youtu.be/AfzxCn0lc50

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

tomneal wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:03 pm My barrel is 16"+
Hopefully it's not pinned
If it is 16” or longer, it is almost certainly NOT pinned and welded, as there would be no reason for doing so. The reason for pinning and welding a flashhider to a barrel is to bring a 14.5” M4 barrel into compliance with the NFA by giving it a permanent 16” length. If a 14.5” barrel does NOT have the flashhider permanently pinned and welded to make it 16” long, it is an SBR and must be registered with ATF under the NFA.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

When I read the word 'shims', I thought of the kind of shims used to align a door or window. I couldn't visualize how that would work.

Instead, the 'shims' in this case are a set of washers with different thicknesses. You do temporary installs of the flash hider with a 'shim' until you find the one with the correct thickness.

My next question
How much torque will it take to remove the old flash hider?
I have a non-marring vice but I don't have the Brownells tool to protect the rest of the AR.
See you at the range

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

There’s only one way to find out!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”