How Many Americans Own AR-15 Style Rifles and Large-Capacity Magazines?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Paladin »

Interesting:

Among the unique qualities of Professor English’s National Firearms Survey is that he asked respondents whether they owned AR-15 style rifles or large-capacity magazines (holding 10+ rounds of ammunition).

English finds that 30.2% of gun owners have owned AR-15 style rifles (around 25 million people), and 48% have owned 10+ capacity magazines (approximately 40 million people).
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How Many Americans Own AR-15 Style Rifles and Large-Capacity Magazines?

Post by RottenApple »

Sadly, all of my firearms and ammunition were lost in a tragic boating accident. :leaving

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

RottenApple wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:01 pm Sadly, all of my firearms and ammunition were lost in a tragic boating accident. :leaving
Shame. You lost them when it’s time to use them.

I still have all of mine.

If they want them let them bring it.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

As with any of these polls or surveys, I wonder how many gun owners don't answer. I wouldn't. I suspect the numbers are higher and wouldn't be surprised if they weren't a lot higher.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

I lost all of mine when the safe leaked when my house flooded during Harvey,

LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LDB415 »

Well, the first problem with this is the use of the term "large-capacity magazine" or "high-capacity magazine" for what are NOT such magazines. They are standard capacity magazines. And the biggest problem of all is that so many of our own numbers use those same incorrect anti-gun terms!!!! Unless an AR magazine holds 31 or more rounds IT ISN'T HIGH-CAPACITY. STOP USING THAT TERM. Every time you use it when speaking of a standard capacity magazine the anti-gunners win. They've brainwashed you and converted you to their falsehoods. Words matter.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

LDB415 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:15 pm Well, the first problem with this is the use of the term "large-capacity magazine" or "high-capacity magazine" for what are NOT such magazines. They are standard capacity magazines. And the biggest problem of all is that so many of our own numbers use those same incorrect anti-gun terms!!!! Unless an AR magazine holds 31 or more rounds IT ISN'T HIGH-CAPACITY. STOP USING THAT TERM. Every time you use it when speaking of a standard capacity magazine the anti-gunners win. They've brainwashed you and converted you to their falsehoods. Words matter.
very well stated
my AR 10 came with three factory magazines, 2 ten rounds and one 20 rounds
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I read somewhere a while back that there are in excess of 25 million AR15s in private hands in the U.S. But that said, it’s probably impossible to extrapolate how many AR15 owners there are for from that number. Many people, myself included, own more than one example. Many others have only one. Still others used to own one, and sold it to finance something else, like {{{{shudder}}} an AK {{{/shudder}}} or a Hipoint carbine. :mrgreen: My personal estimate is that there are somewhere between 10-15 million AR owners.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:53 pm I read somewhere a while back that there are in excess of 25 million AR15s in private hands in the U.S. But that said, it’s probably impossible to extrapolate how many AR15 owners there are for from that number. Many people, myself included, own more than one example. Many others have only one. Still others used to own one, and sold it to finance something else, like {{{{shudder}}} an AK {{{/shudder}}} or a Hipoint carbine. :mrgreen: My personal estimate is that there are somewhere between 10-15 million AR owners.
It is an interesting question how many AR owners are out there.

I do my best to make sure the number of AR owners with training is a constantly increasing number.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

LDB415 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:15 pm Well, the first problem with this is the use of the term "large-capacity magazine" or "high-capacity magazine" for what are NOT such magazines. They are standard capacity magazines. And the biggest problem of all is that so many of our own numbers use those same incorrect anti-gun terms!!!! Unless an AR magazine holds 31 or more rounds IT ISN'T HIGH-CAPACITY. STOP USING THAT TERM. Every time you use it when speaking of a standard capacity magazine the anti-gunners win. They've brainwashed you and converted you to their falsehoods. Words matter.
Perhaps the best strategy here is to make sure that magazines ABOVE standard capacity are as widely owned as standard capacity mags. Its always amusing to see how anti-gunners react when you actually do what they have been pretending you do.

PMAG 40s, D-60's, Surefire MAG5-60's, extended pistol mags, etc... :cheers2:

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I put my vote in for the numbers being much larger than whatever that guy was told. A LOT of folks would simply refuse to say what firearms they own, or give out any details regarding those firearms. As long as the firearms aren't being misused to commit crimes, then it's no one's business what type, how many, or what other firearms parts (including magazines) that any American owns.

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

Enough for them to be considered as being in "common, lawful use".

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Estimating AR-15 Production, 1964-2017

From this data you can extrapolate that in 2022 there have been more than 10 million AR-15's produced which make them one of the most common firearms in the US.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Paladin wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:58 am Estimating AR-15 Production, 1964-2017

From this data you can extrapolate that in 2022 there have been more than 10 million AR-15's produced which make them one of the most common firearms in the US.
AndyC1911 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:36 am Enough for them to be considered as being in "common, lawful use".
I'd venture to say it's the most popular long gun in the history of the US. I sold Colt firearms back in the mid 60's to early 70's and never sold a single Colt Sporter. Everyone wanted blued steel and walnut, including me. At the time I considered them to be one of the ugliest guns ever constructed. Now I think they're one of the most beautiful firearms around.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

More than anti-gun folks would like to admit. Making AR the safest firearm on the planet
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”