Train or Not to Train

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Train or Not to Train

Post by carlson1 »

I want the training so if the worse thing were to happen I can survive. It has nothing to do of hoping something bad happens. My prayers have and will always be for God to protect me and mine and not let anyone of us to be attacked.

What else can a liberal DA come up with?

AF-Odin

Re: Train or Not to Train

Post by AF-Odin »

Actually, a pretty good video. I happen to know both Richard and Emily and have the utmost respect for both of them. In fact, Emily and I spent quite a bit of time together in the Capital during the last session as we were testifying on a number of related bills. As for training, they hit some key points; don't brag or advertise, training is so you are better prepared to survive, SAVE lives and avoid injury to innocents. For me, it is kind of hard to hide training as I teach LTC as well as several other courses. That said, in my classes I continually hit the subjects of avoidance, de-escalation, and escape from situations before, as a last resort, escalating to deadly force. I also hammer that an LTC is NOT a LEO and that their best tool in many cases is a cell phone and 911.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Lots of truth in all this, unfortunately. A skilled prosecutor can come up with all kinds of things to throw against you in court. He'll show how your LTC instructor stressed the importance of de-escalation, then make you look like a bloodthirsty idiot because you didn't even TRY to de-escalate like you were taught to do - you just grabbed your gun and slaughtered the poor armed robber, who was really just a mixed up [black] kid that didn't deserve to die, blahblahblah.
-Ruark

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I saw that video earlier. I'm not going to type much on this issue, but I would like to have seen references to specific defendants convicted because of training. What prosecutors try to do and what results in convictions are different matters.

I know the lady in the video and I watch most of her/their videos. I rarely disagree with what they are saying, but this is one time I do. Training is what can make the difference between surviving a deadly assault and not. It also greatly reduces the chances of you harming an innocent person while defending yourself.

Chas.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:50 am I saw that video earlier. I'm not going to type much on this issue, but I would like to have seen references to specific defendants convicted because of training. What prosecutors try to do and what results in convictions are different matters.

I know the lady in the video and I watch most of her/their videos. I rarely disagree with what they are saying, but this is one time I do. Training is what can make the difference between surviving a deadly assault and not. It also greatly reduces the chances of you harming an innocent person while defending yourself.

Chas.
I would say that discretion is key here. Train/get training, but don’t brag on it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:32 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:50 am I saw that video earlier. I'm not going to type much on this issue, but I would like to have seen references to specific defendants convicted because of training. What prosecutors try to do and what results in convictions are different matters.

Chas.
I would say that discretion is key here. Train/get training, but don’t brag on it.
:iagree: I cringe when I see somebody on FB bragging about be armed, ready, and willing. That’s just a free gift to some lawyer.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Training is what can make the difference between surviving a deadly assault and not. It also greatly reduces the chances of you harming an innocent person while defending yourself.
:iagree:

There are lots of things that can go wrong with out proper training. NRA Personal Protection training is an excellent start to training that will help you make the right decisions. Was privileged to have an outstanding teacher on that. :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Paladin wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:55 pm
Training is what can make the difference between surviving a deadly assault and not. It also greatly reduces the chances of you harming an innocent person while defending yourself.
:iagree:

There are lots of things that can go wrong with out proper training. NRA Personal Protection training is an excellent start to training that will help you make the right decisions. Was privileged to have an outstanding teacher on that. :cheers2:
PPOTH is one of my favorite classes to teach. But haven't done it much because so much goes into preparing and then teaching it.
But I recommend it to every one of my LTC students, and anyone else that will listen when we talk about training.

It's also one of the classes that I'm pickiest about who I admit into it.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”