Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Nickel vs Brass Casing for Carry Ammo and Reloading

Post by Paladin »

Nickel vs Brass Casing for Carry Ammo and Reloading
Pros of Nickle Cases
Corrosion Resistance

One of the biggest benefits of nickel cases is their inherent corrosion resistance. Nickle plated brass casings can be handled consistently or stored on a leather gun belt for extended periods of time and show zero signs of tarnish.
Lower Coefficient of Friction

Another benefit of nickel cases is that they have a higher surface lubricity than standard brass. This means that nickel plated brass cases will generally feel slicker, have improved feeding into the chamber for a semi-auto, and provide easier case extraction from a revolver like a 357 Magnum. This is one reason why many ammo manufacturers have started offering defense loads in nickel plated cases, as they are generally more reliable.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Grayling813

Re: Nickel vs Brass Casing for Carry Ammo and Reloading

Post by Grayling813 »

All of my "carry" self defense ammo is nickel cased, from different manufacturers.

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

For carry rounds, I'm more concerned about the feeding reliability and performance of the bullet than I am about the case finish. I've never had a feeding or extraction problem that I would attribute to a case being plated or unplated. I don't seek out nickel cases, but won't reject them either.
For handloaded general-purpose use, I prefer plain brass. Even with carbide dies and careful cleaning, reloaded nickel cases never look as good as they did new. Inspection is easier for me with polished brass. The brittleness from plating does take a toll in case life, as well.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

mayor

Post by mayor »

threoh8 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:49 am For carry rounds, I'm more concerned about the feeding reliability and performance of the bullet than I am about the case finish. I've never had a feeding or extraction problem that I would attribute to a case being plated or unplated. I don't seek out nickel cases, but won't reject them either.
For handloaded general-purpose use, I prefer plain brass. Even with carbide dies and careful cleaning, reloaded nickel cases never look as good as they did new. Inspection is easier for me with polished brass. The brittleness from plating does take a toll in case life, as well.
For me, the nickel cases are more difficult to reload. May be my technique or my loader - unknown. I just know that I have more trouble with nickel plating.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”