Didn't See This One Coming

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
stoneface
Posts in topic: 2

Didn't See This One Coming

Post by stoneface »

So, the family and I were at Cabela's in FW yesterday, gawking like tourists at the size of the place (my five year old was highly disturbed--"Daddy, are all those animals dead?"). I finally manage to steer my little clan over to the firearms section (the real purpose of the visit).

My wife has never shot a handgun but I've finally managed to get her to go to the range with me and learn to shoot (we're going tomorrow). She's not sure she's ready for CHL but she definitely wants to learn to shoot. So, we were just kind of looking at the gun case and I suggested she handle a few different ones to get an idea of what feels good in her hand. The next thing I know, she's holding this little Sig Mosquito that she has fallen in love with the feel of and I'm whipping out my CHL to bypass the NICS check. That came out of nowhere!

This is hilarious for two reasons:
1) Everytime I have talked about buying another gun for the last couple of months, it's been "Well, we should probably wait, Christmas is coming, money is tight, etc."

2) I have been talking about wanting to get this exact gun for about 5 months, saying that it would be a great practice gun and a good way to teach her and our daughters to shoot. Now that's irony.

The best part was her commentary on the way out: "I love this gun. We need to get you a full-size Sig. How much are they, anyway?" :cool:

Welcome to the dark side, baby. :evil2:

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

:cheers2: :party:

- Jim

PhilR.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PhilR. »

My wife saw a Walther P22 in the case and thought it was cute. After handling it, she had to buy it right then and there. This was approx. six months ago. She has gone on to become quite proficient with our Glock 26, H&K P7, and CZ85, and has even acquired her CHL. I think that letting your wife pick out her own pistol that she will enjoy to shoot is just a prelude to nice things to come.

I know that supporting a gun habit and a family at the same time can at times be difficult. A suggestion for a future Sig purchase would be to consider one of the used P6/225's coming from Germany. These are single-stack 9mm's that can often be found from $299 to $350. Mine is a wonderful-shooting handgun with a very good trigger and excellent accuracy. I don't use it as a concealed carry (larger than what I already have), but it makes a great range or house defense gun.

regards,
PhilR.

AFJailor

Post by AFJailor »

This same thing happened with my wife at the local gun store up here, but it was a sig p232 not a mosquito. Now she and I both have our CCL's for the state of ND.
USAF
SSgt, Combat Arms
NRA Member
ND CCL Holder
"I've got a firm policy on gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it." -Clint Eastwood
Μολών λαβέ!
Sadly I lost all my guns in a boating accident in the Gulf of Mexico :(

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

A few years ago I was in a similar situation. From that time on I have one new gun and she has five. Even ad to have her own safe. Finally convinced her to use the same safe and we would just get a larger one.

Congrats on the conversion.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Post by 5111 »

My wife is starting to become that way too. The only real problem is that she really wants a Beretta Tomcat for her truck and I keep telling her that she needs something more powerful than a .32, especially if she plans on keeping it in the console. I told her she could have the Tomcat if she would actually carry it, not just leave it in the truck.

Topic author
stoneface

Post by stoneface »

PhilR--

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't looked at the P225 before, so I will check it out.

CompVest
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CompVest »

5111, what are you thinking! :o Get the lady her gun! She will continue to develop her interest as she learns more about 'her' gun. I carry my 32 and love it.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

CompVest wrote:5111, what are you thinking! :o Get the lady her gun! She will continue to develop her interest as she learns more about 'her' gun. I carry my 32 and love it.
I agree...The initial timidity (??? I think thats a word) will be tempered over time, and the gun will find its way into some sort of carry configuration in that timeframe...

My wife is the same way...The way I get her to start thinking about it more and more is:

"I cannot be there ALL the time dear...You need to step up and take your self-defense more serious, find a way to make it happen, and surprise me someday by telling me your carrying for a change..."
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I've got to agree with CompVest. Although I understand that the .32 isn't a bear-stopper, it's certainly better than nothing.
My dad often carries his in a front pocket. I'd rather him carry something bigger, but I'm glad he at least has the .32.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

HankB

Post by HankB »

The best part was her commentary on the way out: "I love this gun. We need to get you a full-size Sig. How much are they, anyway?"
Wow . . . just wow . . . my response would have been "Well, there's this older model SIG I like, it's a P210 . . . "

You've got a great wife. (She doesn't have a single sister by any chance, does she? ;-) )
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

sar

Post by sar »

Heh.
I offered to buy my wife a smaller gun and she seemed taken aback. She said" I can just shoot your Kimbers!"

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Crossfire »

5111 wrote:My wife is starting to become that way too. The only real problem is that she really wants a Beretta Tomcat for her truck and I keep telling her that she needs something more powerful than a .32, especially if she plans on keeping it in the console. I told her she could have the Tomcat if she would actually carry it, not just leave it in the truck.
If you are in DFW area and she wants to try out the Tomcat, she is welcome to shoot mine. I thought it would be a great carry gun, and have had it about 4 or 5 years now. Still can't hit the broad side of a barn with that thing. Not to mention that, since it is so short, I am always worried that one day I will get my finger in front of the muzzle.

Little guns are great to carry, not so great to shoot.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

llwatson wrote:If you are in DFW area and she wants to try out the Tomcat, she is welcome to shoot mine. I thought it would be a great carry gun, and have had it about 4 or 5 years now. Still can't hit the broad side of a barn with that thing.
Understand that this statement probably implies 4-inch groups at 15 yards.

- Jim

kauboy

Post by kauboy »

Yup, wives have the ability to shock and amaze sometimes.
Mine went to a gun show with me and fell in love with a Walther P22. Bought it, took it to the range, and she was doing better with it than me :cry:
Oh well, I'll take the grief. It's a fair trade for a gun-lovin' wife :razz:
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”