Carrying a cocked, SA, no saftery firearm

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
the real deal
Posts in topic: 5

Post by the real deal »

couzin wrote::deadhorse: ...you say either, I say neither, lets call the whole thing off... :roll:
:roll:

It's a legitamite discussion...

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 6

Post by txinvestigator »

the real deal wrote:T

Single Action = Fire cocked weapon
Dual Action =Fire cocked weapon and cock --> fire weapon
Actually no. The terms are single action and DOUBLE action.

SA=Pressing the trigger performs 1 action; releasing the hammer or striker

DA=Pressing the trigger performs 2 actions; moving the hammer or striker to the cocked position AND releasing the hammer or striker.

For example; a modern revolver can be fired DA. The hammer starts from the down position. By pressing the trigger you 1) move the hammer to the cocked position, and 2) release the hammer to fire the weapon.

some confusion comes from the terminology used in semi-autos.

The example you gave where
Fire cocked weapon and cock
would describe a SINGLE action semi-auto.

A standard 'double action" semi-auto begins its firing cycle from the hammer down position. Pressing the trigger 1)moves the hammer to the cocked position, and 2) releases the hammer. The movement of the slide after the gun fires them moves the hammer to the cocked position, where subsequent shots are fired single action (the trigger press simply releases the hammer) until the gun is manually de-cocked.

A Double Action Only design operates just as in the standard DA semi-auto, only the movement of the slide after the weapon fires does not cock the hammer, but allows the hammer to return to the "at rest" position. Every shot is fired double action.

A Glock, when the slide is cycled to load a round, only has aabout 25% tension on the internal striker. pressing the trigger 1) completes cocking the striker, and 2) releases the striker to fire the weapon. Clearly 2 actions.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
the real deal
Posts in topic: 5

Post by the real deal »

txinvestigator wrote: The example you gave where
the real deal wrote:Fire cocked weapon and cock
Actually I wrote: Dual Action = Fire cocked weapon and cock --> fire weapon

The more grammatical way to type it would have been "Double Action has two functions = 1) Fire cocked weapon and, 2) Cock an uncocked firearm and fire weapon"

I don't know why I typed "Dual". I know better ;)

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 6

Post by txinvestigator »

the real deal wrote:
txinvestigator wrote: The example you gave where
the real deal wrote:Fire cocked weapon and cock
Actually I wrote: Dual Action = Fire cocked weapon and cock --> fire weapon

The more grammatical way to type it would have been "Double Action has two functions = 1) Fire cocked weapon and, 2) Cock an uncocked firearm and fire weapon"

I don't know why I typed "Dual". I know better ;)
Its still not correct. Double Action, even in regards to a semi-auto, does NOT refer the number of ways the weapon can be fired. In your example, you are saying that Double Action means that the semi-auto will fire from either the cocked position or hammer down position.

That is not the case. "Action" refers to the actions performed when the trigger is pulled. What IS correct is that a traditional Double Action semi-auto will fire EITHER double action OR single action.

When firing from the hammer down position it is in the DOUBLE ACTION mode. When firing with the hammer in the rear (cocked) position, then it is fired in SINGLE ACTION.

That is why semi-autos that do not have a mechanism to cock the hammer are called DOUBLE ACTION ONLY. The fire only from the double action position.

;)
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

Put another way, "x action" refers to the number of actions performed by the trigger.

If it only releases the hammer, then it only performs a single action.

If it both cocks and releases the hammer, then it performs two actions.

I'll point out that it doesn't matter if the hammer is completely at rest, partly cocked, or mostly cocked... if the trigger moves the hammer to the rear before releasing the sear, then it's a double action.

Kevin

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”