Bought a Kimber Today...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Bought a Kimber Today...

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I finally joined the Kimber club today (figuratively speaking, just in case there really is a club). I traded in my Sig 1911 GSR Carry Stainless (they gave me $539.95), and I ponied up some additional cash, and I bought a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II.

I loved that Sig, but it was a fickle and exasperating mistress. From the day I bought it, I struggled with feed reliability. It was better some days than others, but lately, it was really bad, jamming as much as 2 or 3 times per magazine load. After having had the ramp and throat polished, I had finally tracked the problem down to magazines as the most likely culprit, and I bought myself 3 Chip McCormick 8 round mags to replace the 2 originals that came with it. I hadn't yet had a chance to go to the range yet when, a couple of nights ago, I discovered that the grip safety was no longer working (if it ever had). It's as if it was disconnected. The gun can be fired without depressing the safety at all.

So this morning, I took the Sig back to where I bought it (EGA in Euless) and asked if it was something they could fix on site. Ed, the owner told me that they could open it up and check it out (they have an onsite gunsmith), but that was a possibility that he would have to send it back to the factory for repair. That tore it. I asked what he would give me to trade it in, and he offered $539.00. I bought the gun a year ago from him, used, for $699.00, so I called it good. The price on the Kimber was $939.00. It's a beautiful pistol too, so I'm happy.

My son and I are headed off to the range momentarily. I'll let y'all know how she does.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Charger
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bought a Kimber Today...

Post by Charger »

Did you get the night sights? That baby Kimber is really high on my list of things I want. Price is a little steep...but man are they nice! The store I was at last weekend had the non-stainless version that I was admiring. They're very nice.

Texasdoc

Post by Texasdoc »

Welcome to the world of Kimber owners, you got a good gun for CHL and you will like it , Just a word of advice from one UC owner to another you might want to think about ordering a few Recoil spring as you need to change them out every 800 rds this is from Dennis @ kimber. I own a few kimbers and have been change outthe springs about 750 rds and they are all running like house on fire still.

This is only advice
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

I just got back from the Elm Fork shooting range where I ran 100 rounds through the new Kimber (and 100 rounds of .40 through my USP Compact, and 50 rounds of .44 mag through my Model 29). The Kimber ran beautifully for the most part. There were two glitches - one with Monarch 230 gr FMJ "practice" ammo, the other with Federal 230 gr Hydro-Shoks - and that was that, twice, the slide locked open without feeding a round before the magazine was empty. That was using the stock 7 round magazine that came with the pistol. I also ran an 8 round Chip McCormick mag through it and it worked flawlessly. Other than that, the pistol was flawless. It was accurate, easy to shoot considering the reduced weight of the pistol, and just an all around pleasure to shoot.

Charger, yes, I did get the one with the night sights.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I finally joined the Kimber club today (figuratively speaking, just in case there really is a club). I traded in my Sig 1911 GSR Carry Stainless (they gave me $539.95), and I ponied up some additional cash, and I bought a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II.
I loved that Sig, but it was a fickle and exasperating mistress. From the day I bought it, I struggled with feed reliability. It was better some days than others, but lately, it was really bad, jamming as much as 2 or 3 times per magazine load. After having had the ramp and throat polished, I had finally tracked the problem down to magazines as the most likely culprit, and I bought myself 3 Chip McCormick 8 round mags to replace the 2 originals that came with it. I hadn't yet had a chance to go to the range yet when, a couple of nights ago, I discovered that the grip safety was no longer working (if it ever had). It's as if it was disconnected. The gun can be fired without depressing the safety at all.

So this morning, I took the Sig back to where I bought it (EGA in Euless) and asked if it was something they could fix on site. Ed, the owner told me that they could open it up and check it out (they have an onsite gunsmith), but that was a possibility that he would have to send it back to the factory for repair. That tore it. I asked what he would give me to trade it in, and he offered $539.00. I bought the gun a year ago from him, used, for $699.00, so I called it good. The price on the Kimber was $939.00. It's a beautiful pistol too, so I'm happy.

My son and I are headed off to the range momentarily. I'll let y'all know how she does.
Excellent choice! Congrats.

Coincidentally, my baby brother just called me and said he bought the exact same pistol for his son and got a Kahr P9 for his wife. A friend of their's picked out a Beretta Storm. He is going to bring all three guns up to me to "fluff and buff", and then we will begin everyones "training" before arranging for their CHL class.

For a variety of reasons they have chosen get their CHL's, but chief among them is: They expect to see a Liberal in the White-house. Every time a hard left Liberal gets elected, people start buying firearms. :mrgreen: I'll bet the Brady Bunch hates that. :woohoo
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Rokyudai

Post by Rokyudai »

Congrats on your purchase Annoyed.

I have been pretty satisfied with my Kimber as well. I bought the Pro CDPII for a CCW. I switched out the magazine with Wilsons and that seems to be a good paring. I like these trijicon nightsights as well. Excellent night light!
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts in topic: 2

Post by 5111 »

I just picked up an UCII a couple of weeks ago as well. I really like it so far and it has shot without a problem. It is the one on the far right. I only use Wilson Combat magazines in mine.

I have not heard anything about replacing the recoil springs though.

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I just got back from the Elm Fork shooting range where I ran 100 rounds through the new Kimber (and 100 rounds of .40 through my USP Compact, and 50 rounds of .44 mag through my Model 29). The Kimber ran beautifully for the most part. There were two glitches - one with Monarch 230 gr FMJ "practice" ammo, the other with Federal 230 gr Hydro-Shoks - and that was that, twice, the slide locked open without feeding a round before the magazine was empty. That was using the stock 7 round magazine that came with the pistol. I also ran an 8 round Chip McCormick mag through it and it worked flawlessly. Other than that, the pistol was flawless. It was accurate, easy to shoot considering the reduced weight of the pistol, and just an all around pleasure to shoot.

Charger, yes, I did get the one with the night sights.

I have that same prob with only Chip Mc mags. I had to grind a little off the mag. .....Remove your slide...insert mag.....look thru the NOTCH that the Slide Stop goes thru....If you can see the edge of the mag in that notch, mark the mag....remove the mag.... take a file or dremel tool and grind it down till you cant see the mag anymore.....make sure you DE-BURR the edges after you grind them. After doing this to my Chip mags, I NEVER had another problem with premature slide lock.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

Pics to show what I was talking about.....

In this pic you can see part of the mag in the slide stop NOTCH....
remove slide...
insert EMPTY mag....
if you can see any of the mag INSIDE the NOTCH (only)...mark it with a marker or scribe....
remove mag....
grind/file and de-burr....
insert mag to double check...

mag on left.....BEFORE
mag on right....AFTER
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com

AEA

Post by AEA »

5111 wrote:I just picked up an UCII a couple of weeks ago as well. I really like it so far and it has shot without a problem. It is the one on the far right. I only use Wilson Combat magazines in mine.

Nice looking 1911's ya got there! I miss them! :cryin

Oh, the Kimbers have not been shot enough to replace the recoil springs.
The Colt MAY need a spring replacement (go with Wolff) but only if it malfunctions.
The Kimbers have a long way to go on the springs that are in them.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

CONGRATS!!!

texagun

Post by texagun »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I the slide locked open without feeding a round before the magazine was empty. That was using the stock 7 round magazine that came with the pistol. I

I have seen this complaint on the other Kimber forums. If you call Customer Service, I think they will send you a new "improved" slide stop for your gun. The new slide stop has some material removed, as compared to the ones they are shipping with the new guns.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

texagun wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I the slide locked open without feeding a round before the magazine was empty. That was using the stock 7 round magazine that came with the pistol. I

I have seen this complaint on the other Kimber forums. If you call Customer Service, I think they will send you a new "improved" slide stop for your gun. The new slide stop has some material removed, as compared to the ones they are shipping with the new guns.
Thanks for the tip. I will give them a call. Here are some pics of what my magazines look like, in the frame:

1. Kimber 7 round mag:

2. McCormick 8 round mag:

#TINVOWOOT

Posts in topic: 2

Post by 5111 »

AEA wrote:
5111 wrote:I just picked up an UCII a couple of weeks ago as well. I really like it so far and it has shot without a problem. It is the one on the far right. I only use Wilson Combat magazines in mine.

Nice looking 1911's ya got there! I miss them! :cryin
Yeah, I basically stole them off this old guy with a fast car!

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

To save you some time, I would at least try my suggestion above. If that doesnt do the trick, then I would call.

I can see the the Chip shows way too much thru the notch. That is the same way they were in mine. I havnt had any more problems after grinding them down.

The mags that I have NOT had any problems with are.... Wilson and Novaks. Chip McK. and the really cheap mags must be ground down.

Let me know how everything works for you
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”