LCP Recall

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Tireshred
Posts in topic: 11

Re: LCP Recall

Post by Tireshred »

I just shot my new 371*** LCP, it functioned perfectly with 3 different types of ammo. The Arms Room in League City has Monarch and that's all, but it worked perfectly.
"All of life's big problems include the words "Indictment" or "Inoperable", everything else is small stuff." Alton Brown

Tireshred

LCP sticking firing pin

Post by Tireshred »

I went to the Academy at I45 and Edgebrook looking for .380 ACP, they were out (big surprise) but they had a LCP! My wife has wanted one since I brought mine home so I bought it for her. On disassembly & cleaning I noticed the firing pin would stick if I pushed it in & no amount of oil would help. I checked mine & it was smooth as silk. Hmm. I Googled it & saw others who had the same problem & they sent it back to Ruger, but I didn't want or need that kind of hassle. I looked it over & saw it had an ESNA roll pin holding the firing pin & with the right sized punch I drove it out, removed the firing pin & spring & discovered the hole in the slide & the firing pin had burrs. After removing the burrs it was as smooth as silk. I haven't fired it yet, that will come tomorrow, but I can't see it being a problem.
"All of life's big problems include the words "Indictment" or "Inoperable", everything else is small stuff." Alton Brown

Tireshred

LCP Sticking Firing Pin Update

Post by Tireshred »

Test firing went perfectly, I shot 3 different types of ammo with 2 different mags, no malfuctions at all. It really seemed to like the JHP stuff, very accurate at 7 yards. I really like the LCP for a backup or primary.

Shoot_First
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Shoot_First »

Has anyone who did not receive the magazine extension with a Ruger promise to send one in March actually received one?
Last edited by Shoot_First on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magicglock
Posts in topic: 4

Post by magicglock »

Just and update on my recall experience. Ruger received my LCP on 2/17. I asked them to look at an issue with the finish on the slide as well. I guess if you ask for additional work to be completed you can expect to wait! After several weeks of calling and little to no help or estimate as to when my LCP would be completed, I finally got an answer on Friday. They said it should be range tested on Wednesday and in my hands by Friday. Over a month to turn this around! Not impressed Ruger. I guess I would be a little less frustrated if the people on the phone could just give you an accurate update instead of just telling you....Sir, I don't know where your gun is in the process. I will say that everyone I have talked to has been extreemly pleasant to speak with, just not very helpful.

Shoot_First
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Shoot_First »

Yea... got my 370 SN LCP "fixed" in case I drop it... unlikely as that may be... plus a hat and and an extra magazine, but so far NO MAGAZINE EXTENSION which was backordered. Has anyone received the magazine extension as promised?

jhughes556
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jhughes556 »

Received my extensions (TWO) on 3-31. That was approximately 3 weeks after receiving my LCP back from Ruger.

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Greybeard »

My new mag bases also came in the mail about 2 weeks ago.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

magicglock

Post by magicglock »

Just a follow up- Recieved my LCP back after a full month. Ruger did address the issues I requested in addition to the recall and returned it with ONE extension on the new magazine. Everything seems to function flawlessly.

A-R
Posts in topic: 7

Post by A-R »

I received my 370xxx LCP back from recall fix about 6 weeks ago (took about 3 weeks total to send, fix, return). Just recieved my mag extension on Saturday.

I didn't think I'd like/need/use the mag extension, but I like the feel and the gun still fits and draws well from my pocket holster. Anyone know where I can get two more mag extensions for my other mags?

Jungle Work

Post by Jungle Work »

Got my two LCP Ball Caps when I sent my two LCPs in.
Sent them in on Monday, received them back on the following Friday.
Good Service.

Jungle Work

magicglock

Post by magicglock »

Well, I said it seemed to function flawlessly....until the first 30 rounds through it. I am experienced failures to feed with the new barrel they replaced on the recall with multiple types of ammo. The issues I asked them to address with the finish are also appearing again. Several places the the finish seem to be flaking off like a cheap satuday night special. The engraving of the diamond to signify that the recall had been done has caused additional finish issues. Once I had my little LCP back and started to carry in a crossbreed minituck holster, I left the gun overnight in the holster and was shocked to see significant surface rust spots on the new slide lock, around the LCP engraving and near the muzzle. I take very good care of my guns! I'm the type that cleans regularly when carrying and everytime I shoot. I even wipe my carry guns down on a daily basis. This is just not holding up to the riggors of a daily carry. So.....Sold the whole package holsters and all at the last market hall show and broke even on the money. Back to square one and using my Glock 23 or 19 for daily carry. Maybe time to spend the money for a wishlist item. (Kahr PM9, Glock 26-27, or maybe a walk to the dark side and I'll buy a Springfield EMP) I sincerely hope your experience with the LCP is better than mine.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 23

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

magicglock wrote:Well, I said it seemed to function flawlessly....until the first 30 rounds through it. I am experienced failures to feed with the new barrel they replaced on the recall with multiple types of ammo. The issues I asked them to address with the finish are also appearing again. Several places the the finish seem to be flaking off like a cheap satuday night special. The engraving of the diamond to signify that the recall had been done has caused additional finish issues. Once I had my little LCP back and started to carry in a crossbreed minituck holster, I left the gun overnight in the holster and was shocked to see significant surface rust spots on the new slide lock, around the LCP engraving and near the muzzle. I take very good care of my guns! I'm the type that cleans regularly when carrying and everytime I shoot. I even wipe my carry guns down on a daily basis. This is just not holding up to the riggors of a daily carry. So.....Sold the whole package holsters and all at the last market hall show and broke even on the money. Back to square one and using my Glock 23 or 19 for daily carry. Maybe time to spend the money for a wishlist item. (Kahr PM9, Glock 26-27, or maybe a walk to the dark side and I'll buy a Springfield EMP) I sincerely hope your experience with the LCP is better than mine.
I keep hearing more and more bad stories like this. I guess the old saying is true....you get what you pay for. I bought my son the LCP and had trouble within the first 20 rounds. It had to go back to Ruger for repair. Then it had to go back again for the recall....a month later. You would have thought they would do the whole deal at once...nope....just the minimum. Get er done quick and out the door seems to be the basic philosophy. Worry about quality some other day.

The PM9 is an excellent choice...IMHO...and from personal experience. Mine is darned dependable and fairly accurate out to 20 yards. It is small enough to pocket carry in my dress slacks and my dockers. Loose fitting jeans will work also. It cost a bit more...but well worth it IMHO.

Sorry about the off topic....rant off now. :mrgreen:

beads

Post by beads »

Besides the recall how does everyone like the LCP? I'm thinking about getting one for CC and still debating about the whole .380 small caliber issue. I'm in the better than nothing, more incline to carry it camp and see more positives. Also where are you guys carrying your LCP? and what holsters? Looking for ideas since I normally wear jeans/t-shirts and not sure if I can fit it in the front pocket or if my shirts are long enough for back pocket. Saw some shirts like 5.11 that has front side pockets that I'm thinking would be perfect for a holster. Just looking for info on where to carry when I try to decide if I really want one. That and its what 2 month wait on them.
5/1/09 test
5/3/09 Paid online
5/10/09 received Pin & mailed packet
6/17/09 Processing
9/3/09 Application approved and permit valid
9/10/09 plastic in hand

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

I love mine. It's very accurate for a small gun, and I carry in a galco pocket holster and it works perfect. Jeans, shorts, even in the pocket of my hoodie! I haven't had any finish issues or malfunction issues like it seems some have been unfortunate to have. I also picked mine up in illinios for $300 at a local gun shop before the price got jacked way up so I am all around pleased. My brother has the CT laser grip for his and loves it. One has been on my list for some time as it greatly extends the usable range of the sights, and seems to be more accurate than you can aim it with the grip.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”