An alarming glimpse into the future

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: An alarming glimpse into the future

Post by Oldgringo »

Gun violence in our cities ansd elsewhere should be addressed. :mad5 It's against the existing laws to shoot and rob and terrorize people and it's against the existing laws for certain folk to possess firearms.

Let's enforce the existing laws? :banghead:

As long as we keep electing lawyers to public office, these problems won't go away. Lawyers, like earthworms, are self-reproducing.

John
Posts in topic: 9

Post by John »

so right out of the gate...

1. Repeal Tiahrt
2. Require Gun Locks... biometrics maybe?
3. no more face to face gun sales (remember, that is the gun show loop hole).
4. Make the expired AWB (probably on steroids) permanent.

Hope the NRA is up for a fight, with our support of course.
JohnC

bryang

Post by bryang »

Oldgringo wrote:Gun violence in our cities ansd elsewhere should be addressed. :mad5 It's against the existing laws to shoot and rob and terrorize people and it's against the existing laws for certain folk to possess firearms.

Let's enforce the existing laws? :banghead:

As long as we keep electing lawyers to public office, these problems won't go away. Lawyers, like earthworms, are self-reproducing.
:iagree: I agree that all they need to do is enforce the existing laws. If they would just enforce what they have there is absolutely no need of new gun laws. Anything above what they already have would just infringe upon law abiding citizens who are simply trying to protect their families. :mad5

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Here's another one:
http://change.gov/americaserves/
America Serves
Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year.
Don't get me wrong... I think that community service by private citizens is a good idea. I just don't think it is a good idea when the government mandates it - because then who gets to decide what "community service" is? This is a really, REALLY bad idea. A hundred hours is 2-1/2 weeks of unpaid work.

I'd like to know how he plans to get this one past the 13th Amendment?
1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
These kids, regardless of age and position in the educational system, have not been convicted of a crime which is punishable by enforced labor.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

boomerang
Posts in topic: 4

Post by boomerang »

John wrote:3. no more face to face gun sales (remember, that is the gun show loop hole).
Interstate commerce. In-state commerce. What's the difference?

:banghead:
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

boomerang
Posts in topic: 4

Post by boomerang »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Here's another one:
America Serves
Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year.
It's all part of Obama's plan to encourage young people to drop out of school.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

John
Posts in topic: 9

Post by John »

1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
Come now... a "resonable" amount of involuntary servitude is a "common sense" way of getting some work out of our youth. The second part of the amendament clearly states the that congress can legislate "common sense" voluntary servitute. It's almost a requirment by our constitution. :headscratch :roll:

I say, have your kids join the Scouts... They do lots of community service.
JohnC

bridge
Posts in topic: 7

Post by bridge »

Community service at the college level is covered by members of fraternities and sororities. These "social clubs" were originally founded to provide service to the local communities that the colleges served. I guess Obama was a GDI at Columbia and Harvard? I don't think that they're college membership would appreciate him infringing upon hundreds of years of service tradition.

Thank you sir, may I have another?

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote: I'd like to know how he plans to get this one past the 13th Amendment?

These kids, regardless of age and position in the educational system, have not been convicted of a crime which is punishable by enforced labor.
It never stopped them from implimenting the draft before. Lots of people complained about the draft in the 60s but it wasn't until the kids started to burn down the country that the laws makers started to see their way. The Courts never ruled against it.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

True, they didn't. IANAL, but I suspect that the draft is/was defended on a basis of national security. It would be very hard to make the same argument for public service.

OTH, I wouldn't have a problem if public service were mandatory as a part of receiving government tuition aid, or something like that. But in that case, there is an exchange of value for value - not forced labor. And BTW, I'm not advocating government tuition aid. I'm just saying that if government were giving the aid, and you were accepting it, then perhaps government can make an argument for expecting something in return.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

The Annoyed Man wrote:True, they didn't. IANAL, but I suspect that the draft is/was defended on a basis of national security. It would be very hard to make the same argument for public service.

OTH, I wouldn't have a problem if public service were mandatory as a part of receiving government tuition aid, or something like that. But in that case, there is an exchange of value for value - not forced labor. And BTW, I'm not advocating government tuition aid. I'm just saying that if government were giving the aid, and you were accepting it, then perhaps government can make an argument for expecting something in return.
:iagree: Quid pro Quo.

KaiserB
Banned

Post by KaiserB »

America Serves
Don't get me wrong... I think that community service by private citizens is a good idea. I just don't think it is a good idea when the government mandates it - because then who gets to decide what "community service" is? This is a really, REALLY bad idea. A hundred hours is 2-1/2 weeks of unpaid work.
This was brought up in some blogs and the change.gov has been changed the text to remove the "require" from that statement after negative press.

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KD5NRH »

boomerang wrote:Interstate commerce. In-state commerce. What's the difference?
Since Wickard v Filburn, it even applies to non-commerce.

But more importantly, it applies because Chairman Maobama says so.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”