Internet Purchases, FFL Transfers - Good or Bad Experience?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Quahog
Posts in topic: 4

Internet Purchases, FFL Transfers - Good or Bad Experience?

Post by Quahog »

Thought I would start this thread and give folks a chance to chime in on their experiences with purchasing guns via the Internet. It seems like you can find some better deals if you're willing to spend a little time searching and doing some research up-front.

Having just completed my first long-distance transaction, I found the whole process to be managed very professionally and I am very pleased both with the seller and the local shop's handling of the sale. He kept me well informed as things were proceeding and that really put my mind at ease. As I mentioned to the seller though, if you're into "instant gratification", don't buy your gun on a Thursday (because you'll have to endure the weekend wait)!! LOL

I purchased a Les Baer Concept VII from Secure Arms of Plano, TX. Many on the board know Secure as one of our members. I have to say he was exemplar to do business with!!. I would definitely go this route again.... The FFL transfer was made to The Arms Room in League City and they called me immediately upon delivery. Heck, I saw the UPS status change and within 10 mins, I received both a notice from Secure that the gun had arrived and a phone call from The Arms Room that my gun was ready for pick-up. Can't beat that for communication!

If I had to rate the transaction all around, I'd have to give it a 10 out of 10. Gpal was an absolute breeze too.

And before y'all start complaining about "where are the pictures?", here's two I took that are not my best work but it was late and I was tired so they'll just have to do for now :-)
Les Baer Concept VII.jpg
Les Baer Concept VII Flip.jpg
Let's hear your experience and/or lessons learned so folks thinking about going this route can benefit.
"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." -- Ronald Reagan

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Internet Purchases, FFL Transfers - Good or Bad Experien

Post by seamusTX »

I have bought four handguns through online source, three through AuctionArms and one through GunsAmerica. All the sales went smoothly and in each case the handgun was at least as good as the seller's rating (two were possibly unfired and one definitely was).

The three "keepers" were good values. One was almost 20 years old and out of production when I bought it. The other two are models that I have never seen locally.

The only negative purchase was because I did not research in advance what I was buying. I was able to pass that one along at a small loss.

That said, I have bid on many auctions and then quit when another bidder lost his head. I have also looked carefully at many pieces that were advertised on sale and passed them up because there was something fishy about them. It's a lot more work than walking into a gun store and buying something from the display case.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Budsguns.com rates a big :thumbsup: through three handgun purchases.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

I've bought many firearms from online sources without issue.

Just today, I completed the only transaction that worried me. I found a seller on Gunbroker that had the hard to find P-83 Wanad mags. Also bought P-64 Polish mags, Tokarev TT-33 mag, Makarov mags. I initially freaked when I saw the seller was located in Warsaw, Poland. Then I read his feedback. Currently at 423 positives. 422 rated him A+. His only blemish is a single A rating.

Purchased on 5/27. Mailman left notice on 6/14. I was able to pick today.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Quahog, I know you had to go to the range already, do you like it?
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
Quahog

Post by Quahog »

Mike1951 wrote:I've bought many firearms from online sources without issue.

Just today, I completed the only transaction that worried me. I found a seller on Gunbroker that had the hard to find P-83 Wanad mags. Also bought P-64 Polish mags, Tokarev TT-33 mag, Makarov mags. I initially freaked when I saw the seller was located in Warsaw, Poland. Then I read his feedback. Currently at 423 positives. 422 rated him A+. His only blemish is a single A rating.

Purchased on 5/27. Mailman left notice on 6/14. I was able to pick today.
Considering the location, I'd say that's pretty darn good!
"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." -- Ronald Reagan

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

Topic author
Quahog

Post by Quahog »

Teamless wrote:Quahog, I know you had to go to the range already, do you like it?
Teamless, alas I didn't. I did get it all cleaned up from the goop they put on it at the point of manufacture but I won't get to actually shoot it for a bit yet.

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

I have done a lot of buy/sell on internet and has always gone well. The Arms Room is a good place for transfers.

Big Ben
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Big Ben »

Oldgringo wrote:Budsguns.com rates a big :thumbsup: through three handgun purchases.
Do yo have a link to this site? I tried budsguns.com and didnt get anything.
CHL since 4/2010
NRA Member
IDPA Member
"The tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants" - Thomas Jefferson

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Big Ben wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Budsguns.com rates a big :thumbsup: through three handgun purchases.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Keith B wrote:
Big Ben wrote:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Keith
CHL since 4/2010
NRA Member
IDPA Member
"The tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants" - Thomas Jefferson

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

I haven't bought anything locally for many years now. I found a FFL who does transfer for $20 in Houston area and knows the law - he's a police officer.

By ordering online, I save about $50-200 each purchase.

budsgunshop is a great place. They may not have the cheapest but they are very good business people. Highly recommended!
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LongHairedRedneck

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

I've purchased several items off Gunbroker. Had two shipped to The Arms Room(closer to work) and the others to T's.

Just make sure to ask quetions before you buy and also ask for larger/better pictures if you have any doubts. You just gotta do tons of looking to find that super sweet deal. I've only had one gun from the net that I took a $20 loss on when I sold it.

Do a little calling around to your local FFL dealers because their transfer prices can have a good bit of variation.
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Topic author
Quahog

Post by Quahog »

What did Roy charge for the FFL transfer fee?

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

LongHairedRedneck

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

Quahog wrote:What did Roy charge for the FFL transfer fee?

$25 if I remember correctly :headscratch
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”