Magazine Rotation

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Kevinf2349
Posts in topic: 2

Magazine Rotation

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Recently I have been in the habit of rotating which magazine holds the defensive rounds. Evrytime I shoot a weapon, I clean the gun and the magazine used at the range and then load one of those mags with PD ammo. The system seems to work fine but I have a few of questions.

1) What is the best way to mark (number) the magazines without damaging them?
2) Is rotating the magazines really of any importance? My theory was to relieve the tension on the spring more than anything else
3) What is the optimum number of magazines per weapon?
4) Do you keep a magazine (or two) loaded with PD ammo all the time? (even while at the range)

I usually drop out the PD mag, clear the gun and put the mag to one side until I have finished shooting so that magazine isn't used at the range with range ammo.

I guess I am trying to make sure I don't damage a magazine by keeping it under permanent load.

Any thoughts/comments wlecomed. :tiphat:
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

Cosmo 9
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Magazine Rotation

Post by Cosmo 9 »

Working the spring will cause wear, leaving it compressed will not.
These Pretzels are making me thirsty!

Topic author
Kevinf2349
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Thanks Cosmo.

So are you saying that I should keep range mags totally seperate from my carry mags and leave the carry mags full?
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

Pinkycatcher

Post by Pinkycatcher »

Kevinf2349 wrote:Thanks Cosmo.

So are you saying that I should keep range mags totally seperate from my carry mags and leave the carry mags full?
Test everything, but no need to rotate, if you have a bad magazine then don't use it, but that's what magazines are designed for.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

My personal belief is that it makes no difference to either keep your mags full or empty. The springs will eventually wear out & then it comes time to replace them.

Constant tension on a spring does not weaken the mag spring. It's the emptying/refilling cycle of the mag over time that does.

I've always kept every mag I own fully charged when being stored. Admittedly I am a casual shooter and don't shoot multiple 100's of rounds when I do go to the range. And come to think of it, I've never had a magazine spring break on me due to use or wear.

Just my $.02 worth. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Kevinf2349 wrote:Recently I have been in the habit of rotating which magazine holds the defensive rounds. Evrytime I shoot a weapon, I clean the gun and the magazine used at the range and then load one of those mags with PD ammo. The system seems to work fine but I have a few of questions.

1) What is the best way to mark (number) the magazines without damaging them?
2) Is rotating the magazines really of any importance? My theory was to relieve the tension on the spring more than anything else
3) What is the optimum number of magazines per weapon?
4) Do you keep a magazine (or two) loaded with PD ammo all the time? (even while at the range)

I usually drop out the PD mag, clear the gun and put the mag to one side until I have finished shooting so that magazine isn't used at the range with range ammo.

I guess I am trying to make sure I don't damage a magazine by keeping it under permanent load.

Any thoughts/comments wlecomed. :tiphat:
1. I used to number my mags with a sharpie. Even that began to wear off and I went to putting them in the drawer so that when I did rotate them I would just pick the ones the closest to the edge to load. The empties go to the inside and eventually make their way to the edge.

2. No real importance. Other than when I go to the range I rotate about every six months. For me, that means the unloaded mags stay unloaded for about a year.

3. Personal preference. I have nine 15 round mags, three 10 round mags, and three 9 rounders for the G27. I don't ever use the 10 rounders anymore.

4. House gun, G22, is loaded with a 15 rounder at all times. Carry gun, G27, is always loaded with a 9 rounder and two spare 15 rounders. At the range, if I'm not shooting the G27, it is concealed and loaded with the extra mags also concealed. I'll no use other mags while shooting the G22. If I'm shooting the G27 I still keep the spare mags loaded and concealed. I know, it's confusing, but no one ever said anything the easy way.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

I usuallty rotate between Texas Monthy and GUNS Magazine. :mrgreen:

seniorshooteress

Post by seniorshooteress »

Who decided to call the things that hold the ammo in the auto handguns a magazine anyway?
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

seniorshooteress wrote:Who decided to call the things that hold the ammo in the auto handguns a magazine anyway?
It's quite an old term. The ammo "bunkers" on board a naval ship are called the magazines. "Magazine" is just another word for the place, or device, where ammunition is stored.

MerriamWebster.com
Main Entry: mag·a·zine
Pronunciation: \ˈma-gə-ˌzēn, ˌma-gə-ˈ\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic makhāzin, plural of makhzan storehouse
Date: 1583
1 : a place where goods or supplies are stored : warehouse
2 : a room in which powder and other explosives are kept in a fort or a ship
3 : the contents of a magazine: as a : an accumulation of munitions of war b : a stock of provisions or goods
4 a : a periodical containing miscellaneous pieces (as articles, stories, poems) and often illustrated; also : such a periodical published online b : a similar section of a newspaper usually appearing on Sunday c : a radio or television program presenting usually several short segments on a variety of topics
5 : a supply chamber: as a : a holder in or on a gun for cartridges to be fed into the gun chamber b : a lightproof chamber for films or plates on a camera or for film on a motion-picture projecto
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

My department has upwards of 130 officers who keep a full gun, and two mags full - all the time. I have yet to see a magazine go out because of being loaded 24/7/365.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

jester

Post by jester »

Kevinf2349 wrote:1) What is the best way to mark (number) the magazines without damaging them?
Nail polish on the baseplate.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

gigag04 wrote:My department has upwards of 130 officers who keep a full gun, and two mags full - all the time. I have yet to see a magazine go out because of being loaded 24/7/365.
:iagree:

And you never will.

"PROPERLY" designed/manufactured springs do NOT "take a set" and do NOT need a "rest". They can only lose "power" (the ability to return to their designed shape/position) by means of cycling.

The one exception is when/if a spring is compressed or stretched beyond its design limit (modulus of elasticity), then.... permanent damage is done.

The only good reason to "rotate" a magazine.. is to occasionally clean and inspect it for damage, the spring itself (if properly manufactured) should be fine.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Magazine springs are cheap if you are worried about them then change them periodicaly. Magazines are semi-expendiables in my opinion. I don't get my shorts all in a knot over them.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

cope

Post by cope »

There is no need to waste precious energy worrying about your magazines.

Just load them with reliable ammo and carry two or three with you at all times.

texjames

Post by texjames »

cope wrote:There is no need to waste precious energy worrying about your magazines.

Just load them with reliable ammo and carry two or three with you at all times.
I agree...I just leave my defense ammo in the magazines and take my spares to the range.
I know they all work cause i tested them all out when i bought them...
also on the term of being called magazines....i grew up with my Dad..(WWII Vet) calling them "clips"...its been hard for me
to use the correct term magazine over the years.
USAF 71-91 retired
CHL #3 04/10

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”